Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1071149 times)

fu12

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.4.6)
« Reply #915 on: October 21, 2020, 06:26:25 AM »

So exactly how fiddly is placing an Astral gate exactly? Cuz sometimes it gets put down where I am......but most days it gets shunted off into the worst possible position: out beyond the oort cloud of the star and as far as possible away from a jump node. And there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which result i actually get.

It tries to place the Astral gate at a location near to the player where a stable location could potentially exist. After playing the game for a while, you'll have a feel for where stable locations typically exist and where they don't, so you can choose a spot likely to have a valid spawn location near your fleet. If it spawns somewhere you don't like, then just reload the save.

I suppose. I'm more wondering at the fact that EVERY time it doesnt place the gate at my location it shuffles it out to the system's edge. If it was seeking stable locations, you'd think it would occasionally get shunted closer to the star.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 21, 2020, 07:36:21 AM »

So exactly how fiddly is placing an Astral gate exactly? Cuz sometimes it gets put down where I am......but most days it gets shunted off into the worst possible position: out beyond the oort cloud of the star and as far as possible away from a jump node. And there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which result i actually get.

It tries to place the Astral gate at a location near to the player where a stable location could potentially exist. After playing the game for a while, you'll have a feel for where stable locations typically exist and where they don't, so you can choose a spot likely to have a valid spawn location near your fleet. If it spawns somewhere you don't like, then just reload the save.

I suppose. I'm more wondering at the fact that EVERY time it doesnt place the gate at my location it shuffles it out to the system's edge. If it was seeking stable locations, you'd think it would occasionally get shunted closer to the star.

It's my understanding that in crowded systems with lots of planets, the majority of valid stable location spawn points will be closer to the edge of the system.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 21, 2020, 09:00:42 AM »

From what I can tell, stable locations either get their own full orbit or take the L3, L4, or L5 Lagrange points of larger planets.

immortalartisan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 22, 2020, 07:11:48 PM »

is this the mod the mining drones are from?

Echonian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 22, 2020, 08:20:23 PM »

This mod has been a lot of fun for me, and has definitely made managing my colonies a more involved and interesting process.

I do have a couple of things I would like to note.

First: Balance probably is a slight issue, and I might have to delve into the settings myself if that's possible to fix what I can (though it seems only some options are easily configurable). The Atmosphere Processor seems a bit pointless, given how little it contributes for example.  The terraforming platform also seems quite pointless, because it gives less terraforming points than the reflector despite having a fairly hefty resource requirement - since it needs a lot of ship hulls and fuel to function. The Skyhook Anchor boost to accessibility is very small considering the cost, especially when considering things like Starport upgrades. The Kletka simulator also probably shouldn't produce cores so often, but I guess I'm just nitpicking now.

I know the mod isn't meant mainly to be balanced, but rather to expand options. Still, I think balance is a fine thing to strive for where possible. If it would be possible to implement more of the relevant costs or details into the config file, I would appreciate that too.

I just wish certain options actually were worth using. I would like it if the Atmosphere Processor for example was necessary for or would allow you to manipulate certain atmosphere conditions (like it being toxic), rather than all of them contributing terraforming points equally. Or if the solar reflector was only able to be built on colder worlds. Without that kind of distinction it's best to just pick the most efficient option for the case.

Second: In relation to the first point, the Atmosphere Processor and some other structures mention how they are affected by AI cores or Domain Artifacts, but the descriptions don't always say precisely how they are affected. I would recommend doing a pass on the dialogue if possible to make it a bit clearer to others who are new to the mod. Actually, having more precise time-lines or even just estimates of how long it takes for things would be useful - such as for the Military Police Headquarters.

I guess that's about it. I have greatly enjoyed the mod, and the idea behind it is great.

Especially in combination with other mods like Nexelerin it has helped the large scale features of the game come to life.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 23, 2020, 07:25:21 AM »

is this the mod the mining drones are from?

Yes, a mining drone colony structure can be enabled using the settings file of this mod.

This mod has been a lot of fun for me, and has definitely made managing my colonies a more involved and interesting process.

I do have a couple of things I would like to note.

First: Balance probably is a slight issue, and I might have to delve into the settings myself if that's possible to fix what I can (though it seems only some options are easily configurable). The Atmosphere Processor seems a bit pointless, given how little it contributes for example.  The terraforming platform also seems quite pointless, because it gives less terraforming points than the reflector despite having a fairly hefty resource requirement - since it needs a lot of ship hulls and fuel to function. The Skyhook Anchor boost to accessibility is very small considering the cost, especially when considering things like Starport upgrades. The Kletka simulator also probably shouldn't produce cores so often, but I guess I'm just nitpicking now.

I know the mod isn't meant mainly to be balanced, but rather to expand options. Still, I think balance is a fine thing to strive for where possible. If it would be possible to implement more of the relevant costs or details into the config file, I would appreciate that too.

I just wish certain options actually were worth using. I would like it if the Atmosphere Processor for example was necessary for or would allow you to manipulate certain atmosphere conditions (like it being toxic), rather than all of them contributing terraforming points equally. Or if the solar reflector was only able to be built on colder worlds. Without that kind of distinction it's best to just pick the most efficient option for the case.

Second: In relation to the first point, the Atmosphere Processor and some other structures mention how they are affected by AI cores or Domain Artifacts, but the descriptions don't always say precisely how they are affected. I would recommend doing a pass on the dialogue if possible to make it a bit clearer to others who are new to the mod. Actually, having more precise time-lines or even just estimates of how long it takes for things would be useful - such as for the Military Police Headquarters.

I guess that's about it. I have greatly enjoyed the mod, and the idea behind it is great.

Especially in combination with other mods like Nexelerin it has helped the large scale features of the game come to life.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

Have you looked at the tooltips for the Atmosphere Processor and the Military Police Headquarters once they've completed building? I'm pretty sure they're very clear about the effects of AI cores, nanoforges, etc., and the MPHQ even has a progress percentage indicator on the tooltip.

You can use the industries.csv file to make many changes that aren't possible using just the mod settings file. Regarding requiring specific terraforming structures for certain projects, that was originally how this mod worked, but I had to change it to the current system because there were endless debates/criticism about which structures were most realistic for certain projects, etc.

Echonian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 23, 2020, 11:30:01 AM »

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

Have you looked at the tooltips for the Atmosphere Processor and the Military Police Headquarters once they've completed building? I'm pretty sure they're very clear about the effects of AI cores, nanoforges, etc., and the MPHQ even has a progress percentage indicator on the tooltip.

You can use the industries.csv file to make many changes that aren't possible using just the mod settings file. Regarding requiring specific terraforming structures for certain projects, that was originally how this mod worked, but I had to change it to the current system because there were endless debates/criticism about which structures were most realistic for certain projects, etc.

I'll take a look at that file. As far as endless debates go, I can certainly understand why that would be annoying. I'll have to double check the tooltips for those buildings after they have been built, I don't recall seeing the information when first building them or checking afterwards, but it's possible I missed something.

Jakro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 26, 2020, 05:03:22 AM »

A quest that can unlock usage of the Construct Astral Gate ability. The quest will be initiated when the player is traveling through hyperspace outside the core worlds. You cannot initiate the quest if you're using randomized core worlds. To enable usage of the Construct Astral Gate ability without completing the quest, disable the quest in the settings file.

Note that this quest has several different outcomes and not all outcomes lead to enabling the Construct Astral Gate ability (although it is much easier to get the "good" outcome than with The Crustacean Job).

So I just got the signal in Hyperspace and I am sort of clueless to where I have to look for "Penelope" Is it a character in the core worlds, is it a person you meet in a bar randomly. Do you have to go into unexplored systems near the spot where you received the signal ? I have tried quite a bunch. Could someone tell me what the next step is ?

Thanks

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 26, 2020, 09:05:38 AM »

A quest that can unlock usage of the Construct Astral Gate ability. The quest will be initiated when the player is traveling through hyperspace outside the core worlds. You cannot initiate the quest if you're using randomized core worlds. To enable usage of the Construct Astral Gate ability without completing the quest, disable the quest in the settings file.

Note that this quest has several different outcomes and not all outcomes lead to enabling the Construct Astral Gate ability (although it is much easier to get the "good" outcome than with The Crustacean Job).

So I just got the signal in Hyperspace and I am sort of clueless to where I have to look for "Penelope" Is it a character in the core worlds, is it a person you meet in a bar randomly. Do you have to go into unexplored systems near the spot where you received the signal ? I have tried quite a bunch. Could someone tell me what the next step is ?

Thanks

There's a system in the southwest of the core worlds called Penelope's Star...

Hasbeans

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 29, 2020, 10:35:14 AM »

Found a bug with the lobsters quest. You can repeat the quest forever even if you have finished it. Haven't messed with anything and none of my mods interfere with terraforming.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 29, 2020, 11:33:56 AM »

Found a bug with the lobsters quest. You can repeat the quest forever even if you have finished it. Haven't messed with anything and none of my mods interfere with terraforming.

I thought I fixed this bug... do you have the latest version of the mod?

What was the outcome of the quest the first time you did it, and where/how did you find it again?

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 30, 2020, 01:18:16 PM »

This sounds good. I've been curious about every scenario bred by my choice of responses in dialogues.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 06, 2020, 10:11:00 AM »

I don't think the 5 industry at size>=9 is there anymore, is this intended?

That's from a different mod.

okj

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 06, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »

Oosp wrong thread sorry

okj

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 06, 2020, 10:28:19 AM »

What is an arcology world?
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 219