Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070440 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.4.1)
« Reply #765 on: August 01, 2020, 04:10:33 PM »

Less work upfront - definitely. I had a blacklist planned initially, but it also causes problems - what about stuff like blade breakers? What about the recently revived Templars? I'd have to run after dumpster fires manually blacklisting all the stuff that's broken in player hands, and probably end up with more work in total.
With a blacklist, I am also forcing other mod authors to take action to prevent severe balance issues/keep their vision of the mod, which is not very nice, and causes bad blood.

The whitelist system allows mod authors to take part in this if they want to, and to not, if they don't.
I agree that this takes away from player experience - but I hope that authors will implement the lists, and with time, the system will become what players expect of it.

(also whitelisting is literally adding the ship id to a .csv, which is easy enough for even tech illiterate people to do)

You could require the player to have the ship they want to reverse engineer in their fleet or in storage. That way, the player can't get blueprints for ships they're not meant to own. The whitelist definitely has benefits though.

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 01, 2020, 04:25:09 PM »

It works via a submarket the player has to deliver ships to, so that's already covered. The issue is that there are obtainable, non unique ships out there that would break the game if the player could produce them - Templars, for instance.

About white list - maybe you made it possible for player to add ships to white list too? For example if someone really wants to got BB blueprints this way - why not? This is a single player sandbox anyway.

About limitation - I think one of valid option is adding chance to succeed. Maybe based on player tech skill three and\or AI core attached to industry? And if you fail - you just lost hull for nothing. I know for some people this will be extremely frustrating even with 5% chance to fail, but this can be fixed with simple "made reverse-engeneering have 100% chance to succeed no matter what" option in settings.

1) the player can manually whitelist any ship he wants via .csv edits.

2)penalizing the player for using a feature depending on RNG is a good way to make sure no one will ever use it.
Mechanics for this are already done, give it a try once it releases!

In any case, this is super offtopic for this thread, apologies for that. I just wanted to make sure you don't put work into something that would be released somewhere else in the near future.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 02, 2020, 01:42:36 AM »

Re: Hydroponics being 'too good'.
One option to consider is to make it 'local only'.
In other words entirely remove the commodity exports, and have the industry essentially cancel out the food demand for the colony it is built on.
(Unknown Skies uses a similar mechanic for it's 'space fungus' condition & drugs.)

This would result in that one colony being 'self-suficient' for food at the cost of an industry slot.
But every other non-farming colony would still require imports, unless they also built a hydroponics industry.
And there would be no income from hydroponics as the entire output is being used by the colony locally, so the industry would be a net loss.

The player would then have to decide if the use of an industry slot, and the addition of more upkeep in exchange for food security is desireable on a colony-by-colony basis.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 02, 2020, 04:32:03 AM »

Re: Hydroponics being 'too good'.
One option to consider is to make it 'local only'.
In other words entirely remove the commodity exports, and have the industry essentially cancel out the food demand for the colony it is built on.
(Unknown Skies uses a similar mechanic for it's 'space fungus' condition & drugs.)

This would result in that one colony being 'self-suficient' for food at the cost of an industry slot.
But every other non-farming colony would still require imports, unless they also built a hydroponics industry.
And there would be no income from hydroponics as the entire output is being used by the colony locally, so the industry would be a net loss.

The player would then have to decide if the use of an industry slot, and the addition of more upkeep in exchange for food security is desireable on a colony-by-colony basis.

This would fix some of the issues with hydroponics, but I think it will add complexity without resolving the problem that hydroponics doesn't add anything interesting or unique to the gameplay. As I stated earlier, the developers appear to have worked on implementing hydroponics, but ultimately decided against it, likely because they realized it's not a good addition.

Unnamed_Shadow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 02, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »

I've been thinking about something you could add to the mod.

I feel lately all the attention has been focused on the Terraforming of Planets.

But the second part of the mod Station Construction hasn't been addressed in a while. And i feel the Station Construction mechanic has a lot of potential.

I would love it if you include the option to improve the Resources Conditions and maybe Overall Conditions on the Stations. Be it through an Industry or through Terraforming (or using the a new Menu, Station Improvements or Upgrades)

Here's some examples:

Improved Mining Drones - This should improve the conditions by +1. So from Moderate on Asteroid Belts to Abundant. Also would improve the output of Volatiles you get from the Gas Giant by +1.

Interstellar Telecommunications Array - This would basically give you a Makeshift Comm Relay. Perfect for a small mining operations in a system with no Stable Locations or if for some reason you built a Station in a Hostile System.

Minefield - This would increase the Defense Rating of the Station, probably reducing the Accessibility (but could be fixed with either Alpha Cores, if its an Industry, or with an Upgrade if its similar to terraforming.)

Military Outpost - Increases Fleet Size, perfect for making a Station as a Base of operations.

Improved Local Production - This would become unlocked only if you have Mining > Refining > Heavy Industry on the Station. Since everything is being produced locally, this should increase Ship Quality. Upgrading Heavy Industry to Orbital Works improves the bonus even further.

I really love the Station feature of the mod and i really hope it gets just as much content as the Terraforming and Planet part has.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:28:45 PM by Unnamed_Shadow »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 04, 2020, 05:28:16 AM »

I've been thinking about something you could add to the mod.

I feel lately all the attention has been focused on the Terraforming of Planets.

But the second part of the mod Station Construction hasn't been addressed in a while. And i feel the Station Construction mechanic has a lot of potential.

I would love it if you include the option to improve the Resources Conditions and maybe Overall Conditions on the Stations. Be it through an Industry or through Terraforming (or using the a new Menu, Station Improvements or Upgrades)

Here's some examples:

Improved Mining Drones - This should improve the conditions by +1. So from Moderate on Asteroid Belts to Abundant. Also would improve the output of Volatiles you get from the Gas Giant by +1.

Interstellar Telecommunications Array - This would basically give you a Makeshift Comm Relay. Perfect for a small mining operations in a system with no Stable Locations or if for some reason you built a Station in a Hostile System.

Minefield - This would increase the Defense Rating of the Station, probably reducing the Accessibility (but could be fixed with either Alpha Cores, if its an Industry, or with an Upgrade if its similar to terraforming.)

Military Outpost - Increases Fleet Size, perfect for making a Station as a Base of operations.

Improved Local Production - This would become unlocked only if you have Mining > Refining > Heavy Industry on the Station. Since everything is being produced locally, this should increase Ship Quality. Upgrading Heavy Industry to Orbital Works improves the bonus even further.

I really love the Station feature of the mod and i really hope it gets just as much content as the Terraforming and Planet part has.

I'm in the middle of a playthrough right now with Cramped Quarters enabled and I agree that stations need some additional features to make them more worthwhile to construct. I like your ideas and I might implement a few of them in the next patch. I'm glad you're enjoying my mod!

mora

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 04, 2020, 10:43:27 AM »

Code
runcode SectorEntityToken fleet = Global.getSector().getPlayerFleet();
        List<SectorEntityToken> sectorEntityTokens = fleet.getContainingLocation().getAllEntities();

for(int i = 0; i < sectorEntityTokens.size(); i++)
        {
            if(sectorEntityTokens.get(i) instanceof CampaignTerrainAPI)
            {
                if(((CampaignTerrainAPI)sectorEntityTokens.get(i)).getPlugin().containsEntity(fleet))
                {
                    fleet.getContainingLocation().removeEntity((SectorEntityToken)sectorEntityTokens.get(i));
                }
            }
        }

I just tested the above slightly edited code. It should be able to remove any debris field the player fleet is located inside of.
Thank you and Ludd for this code. Now those debris fields cluttering any ruin themed system can be destroyed.

Suitedteen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 07, 2020, 09:49:45 AM »

I've built every terraforming building how long will it take me to terraform a Barren world? if you do not mind me asking?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 07, 2020, 10:01:43 AM »

I've built every terraforming building how long will it take me to terraform a Barren world? if you do not mind me asking?

To start the process, you need to use ability (from the abilities bar n the bottom of the screen). If you do not have that ability there - add it there.

In the terraforming menu you will see available projects, current progress and it's speed.

P.S. for the question "how long" - depends on many factors. Sometimes - up to 5 years in default settings in some circumstances. BTW you can adjust various terraforming values in setting file. Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:04:58 AM by Mondaymonkey »
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 07, 2020, 11:49:20 AM »

Hello Boggled, I love your mod! Turning those "almost" planets into viable options is the best!

I have a comment about the mod: I'm playing with Nex (among other mods) and something funny happened. When Tri-Tach took over Volturn the option to gain the gene-modding tech (for my own lobsters) was gone! I'm assuming this is intended, but I wanted to point it out just incase it wasn't.

Well now that I think about it, this might not even be something you can fix directly, as I'm assuming that the tech is tied to Diktat controlled Volturn directly, and not just the planet itself.

Thanks for reading my incoherent post, you can tell I didn't have my thoughts ordered before I started typing. And its much better to ramble on mobile than to scroll back through this tiny box and edit everything  ;D
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 07, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »

Hello Boggled, I love your mod! Turning those "almost" planets into viable options is the best!

I have a comment about the mod: I'm playing with Nex (among other mods) and something funny happened. When Tri-Tach took over Volturn the option to gain the gene-modding tech (for my own lobsters) was gone! I'm assuming this is intended, but I wanted to point it out just incase it wasn't.

Well now that I think about it, this might not even be something you can fix directly, as I'm assuming that the tech is tied to Diktat controlled Volturn directly, and not just the planet itself.

Thanks for reading my incoherent post, you can tell I didn't have my thoughts ordered before I started typing. And its much better to ramble on mobile than to scroll back through this tiny box and edit everything  ;D

Can you describe exactly how this occurred? I actually tested this circumstance myself when I was developing the quest and it still worked. Were you able to initiate the quest on Umbra?

DubTre6

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 07, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »

I'm not exactly sure how long it will take, but with all the buildings you should be getting 20+ (I think) progress every in-game day.

And for reference, when I did a Terran-Eccentric to Terran it was 900 points. So 900/20 = 45 in-game days. If you were to double that amount (since I'm not 100% sure the cost of the barren world.) It would still be only 3 in-game months, so not long at all!

Hope this helps, happy world-shaping!  :)

DubTre6

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 07, 2020, 11:57:40 AM »

Can you describe exactly how this occurred? I actually tested this circumstance myself when I was developing the quest and it still worked. Were you able to initiate the quest on Umbra?

Welp. Seems like its an ID10.T error...I didn't know you started the quest on Umbra

When I get home from work in a few hours I will head that way to make sure it all works. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 07, 2020, 12:46:31 PM »

Not sure if it will be useful, but I did it.

P.S. I am really bad at gif optimizing...

Spoiler
[close]

Smaller version
[close]
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Aldazar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 07, 2020, 07:12:47 PM »

Can the archipelego class be added to the terraform option?
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 219