Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070213 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.3.1)
« Reply #660 on: July 04, 2020, 03:58:56 AM »

Haven't I predict it will happen? Takes much more time, than I thought.

You did predict this, but so far only a couple of people have requested help with the riddle. I'm guessing most players are able to solve it without assistance, either through knowledge of literature or knowledge of how to dig through the mod files to find the right planet.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 04, 2020, 04:44:37 AM »

That is a rare situation, when I am happy about being so wrong.

Feel so guilty of underestimating average SS player.  :'(
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Fen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 04, 2020, 06:49:50 AM »

I always play with randomized core worlds so never cared to solve it, personally xP

Morrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 07, 2020, 06:26:19 AM »

I'm trying to remove a magnetic field around a planet.  Does anyone know a way via command console or with this mod that I'm missing?
Discord: Morrow#1453

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 07, 2020, 06:28:49 AM »

I'm trying to remove a magnetic field around a planet.  Does anyone know a way via command console or with this mod that I'm missing?

It is not possible using this mod. A console command could do it, but writing the command wouldn't be trivial.

Morrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 07, 2020, 07:21:00 AM »

Well I took a crack at it and got something the equivalent of a sledgehammer to screw in a screw.  This is with command console mod.

Code: java
runcode SectorEntityToken fleet = Global.getSector().getPlayerFleet();
    List<SectorEntityToken> sectorEntityTokens = fleet.getContainingLocation().getAllEntities();

for(int i = 0; i < sectoryEntityTokens.size(); i++)
    {
        if(sectorEntityTokens.get(i) instanceof CampaignTerrainAPI)
        {
            fleet.getContainingLocation().removeEntity((SectorEntityToken)sectorEntityTokens.get(i));
        }
    }

This will get rid of all terrain features in the system you are currently in.  This does not seem to include asteroid belts, planets, stars, and stable locations.  I'm guessing it will also get rid of clouds that slow you down as well as magnetic fields.

If anyone can think of a better solution this is what I whipped up with just a real quick look through the API and this comment: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=14512.msg237328#msg237328

Good luck out there.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 07, 2020, 07:45:07 AM »

Well I took a crack at it and got something the equivalent of a sledgehammer to screw in a screw.  This is with command console mod.

List<SectorEntityToken> sectorEntityTokens = fleet.getContainingLocation().getAllEntities();

{
        {
            fleet.getContainingLocation().removeEntity((SectorEntityToken)sectorEntityTokens.get(i));
        }
    }

This will get rid of all terrain features in the system you are currently in.  This does not seem to include asteroid belts, planets, stars, and stable locations.  I'm guessing it will also get rid of clouds that slow you down as well as magnetic fields.

If anyone can think of a better solution this is what I whipped up with just a real quick look through the API and this comment: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=14512.msg237328#msg237328

Good luck out there.

The below edits to your code should result in only the CampaignTerrainAPI that the player fleet is located inside of being deleted. I haven't tested it, so you might have to make minor changes to get it to compile. Hope this helps!

{
        {
            if(((CampaignTerrainAPI)sectorEntityTokens.get(i)).getPlugin().containsEntity(fleet))
            {
            }
        }
    }

Morrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 08, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »

I loved the quests!  Stuff like this gives me a lot of hope for some seriously awesome adventures in future iterations of the game.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:24:50 AM by Morrow »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 11, 2020, 08:44:43 AM »

BTW, I have literally crazy suggestion. Shall I made it now or keep for a better time?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 11, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »

BTW, I have literally crazy suggestion. Shall I made it now or keep for a better time?

My boss is on vacation next week so I'll have plenty of time to implement it. Go ahead!

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 11, 2020, 10:05:56 AM »

*laughs in convulsions*

One week? I doubt it is enough, "crazy" tag is there for purpose. Still, it is looks like there are a solution for 12 buildings hardcap. At least partial solution for terraforming buildings. But all in order.

1. Terraforming options impossible without terraforming platform. (TP for short. The main thing is not to be confused with Toilet Paper.) It is constructed like an ordinary building, but disappear when finished (like an astropolis). Parent planet (PP for short) now has a "teraforming platform" option in planet menu. It leads to separate imaginary TP market. It is also available from colony screen for building remote control if necessary. TP market has size 1 (or even 0, if possible) and does not have "population and infrastructure" (will not grow or consume resources for that building), it shares accessibility and ground defense value with PP. Does not generate any fleets (fleetsize=0) Ordinary buildings are not allowed at TP, only terraforming buildings and projects (except of Ismara slingshot). Terraforming buildings are not allowed at PP any more (except of Ismara slingshot). TP could be as station around the PP or better, not to have real object on system map, i.e. being imaginary (if it is possible), in that case all trade fleets and enemy expedition should be canceled for TP or (better) redirected to PP.

2. TP created with custom market conditions, like:
"Initial temperature - extreme cold";
"Initial temperature - cold";
"Initial temperature - normal";
"Initial temperature - hot";
"Initial temperature - extreme hot";
"Initial temperature - no atmosphere";
"Initial temperature - thin atmosphere";
"Initial temperature - thick atmosphere";
"Initial planet type - barren";

And etc. Those conditions does not do anything, it is just a reminder for player (and a mod) where it should deteriorate over a time if TP abandoned or some TP buildings sold.

3. Teraforming projects is a replacement for a teraforming menu (BTW in this system it is obsolete). Each project will change planet type for desired. Can be picked in construction menu. They have progress bar like population and infrastructure, but it is applied for (current terraforming points/required points) rate. Can not run more than one project at a same time.

4. Terraforming buildings generate points (as it is now) AND are mandatory for starting some projects. Example: current temperature is "normal", so it is not possible to perform "Ice conversion" project without stellar mirrors as it requires either current temperature as "Extreme cold" OR stellar mirrors to be present (big red tooltip text "build stellar mirrors first"). Even if project finished, removing mirrors will cause slow deterioration for initial temperature AND initial planet type if it is not compatible with initial temperature. If PP current temperature = TP initial temperature there would not be any deterioration, but mirrors still can be used as points generator. Mirrors will not change the current conditions without project, tho. Absolutely same thing for atmosphere and Atmosphere Processor. If initial type does not contain much water, requires Ismara slingshot or asteroid processing to be present in system (asteroid processor is available in TP just in case player can not build any station and there are no water planets in system, removing asteroid processor later will not cause deterioration). "Arid" project does not require that.

5. As it is not possible to get arcology other than terraforming, why not locate it's unique buildings on TP?

That is not all. I just tired of typing...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 10:09:05 AM by Mondaymonkey »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 11, 2020, 11:00:06 AM »

*laughs in convulsions*

One week? I doubt it is enough, "crazy" tag is there for purpose. Still, it is looks like there are a solution for 12 buildings hardcap. At least partial solution for terraforming buildings. But all in order.

1. Terraforming options impossible without terraforming platform. (TP for short. The main thing is not to be confused with Toilet Paper.) It is constructed like an ordinary building, but disappear when finished (like an astropolis). Parent planet (PP for short) now has a "teraforming platform" option in planet menu. It leads to separate imaginary TP market. It is also available from colony screen for building remote control if necessary. TP market has size 1 (or even 0, if possible) and does not have "population and infrastructure" (will not grow or consume resources for that building), it shares accessibility and ground defense value with PP. Does not generate any fleets (fleetsize=0) Ordinary buildings are not allowed at TP, only terraforming buildings and projects (except of Ismara slingshot). Terraforming buildings are not allowed at PP any more (except of Ismara slingshot). TP could be as station around the PP or better, not to have real object on system map, i.e. being imaginary (if it is possible), in that case all trade fleets and enemy expedition should be canceled for TP or (better) redirected to PP.

2. TP created with custom market conditions, like:
"Initial temperature - extreme cold";
"Initial temperature - cold";
"Initial temperature - normal";
"Initial temperature - hot";
"Initial temperature - extreme hot";
"Initial temperature - no atmosphere";
"Initial temperature - thin atmosphere";
"Initial temperature - thick atmosphere";
"Initial planet type - barren";

And etc. Those conditions does not do anything, it is just a reminder for player (and a mod) where it should deteriorate over a time if TP abandoned or some TP buildings sold.

3. Teraforming projects is a replacement for a teraforming menu (BTW in this system it is obsolete). Each project will change planet type for desired. Can be picked in construction menu. They have progress bar like population and infrastructure, but it is applied for (current terraforming points/required points) rate. Can not run more than one project at a same time.

4. Terraforming buildings generate points (as it is now) AND are mandatory for starting some projects. Example: current temperature is "normal", so it is not possible to perform "Ice conversion" project without stellar mirrors as it requires either current temperature as "Extreme cold" OR stellar mirrors to be present (big red tooltip text "build stellar mirrors first"). Even if project finished, removing mirrors will cause slow deterioration for initial temperature AND initial planet type if it is not compatible with initial temperature. If PP current temperature = TP initial temperature there would not be any deterioration, but mirrors still can be used as points generator. Mirrors will not change the current conditions without project, tho. Absolutely same thing for atmosphere and Atmosphere Processor. If initial type does not contain much water, requires Ismara slingshot or asteroid processing to be present in system (asteroid processor is available in TP just in case player can not build any station and there are no water planets in system, removing asteroid processor later will not cause deterioration). "Arid" project does not require that.

5. As it is not possible to get arcology other than terraforming, why not locate it's unique buildings on TP?

That is not all. I just tired of typing...

This is an interesting workaround for the 12 building slot problem, but I think from a technical standpoint it just won't be feasible. Creating an entirely separate market with buildings will lead to endless bugs and compatibility problems. Mods like Nex will likely have to make changes to ensure it's supported correctly, or I would have to patch my mod every time Nex or another mod that interacts with markets changes a feature.

Further, I think the UI would be very confusing because I won't have a convenient place to print out all the information about the current terraforming project status. If the projects become individual "buildings" to construct on the TP market, the UI tooltips will make no sense. What would a player think if they see an option to install a nanoforge in a terraforming project?

Besides, I'm hopeful Alex will simply add a building scroll bar in the next update, which will completely resolve this issue.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 11, 2020, 11:09:38 AM »

*Laughing*

I know, you going to say: "Besides, I'm hopeful Alex will simply add a building scroll bar in the next update, which will completely resolve this issue."

I am less optimistic...

OK. Another suggestion: Bad conditions and planet types do not increase project cost. They generate a negative terraforming progress instead. So it is not possible to converse hellish planet into terran by single terraforming platform in 20 years. So player need either use intermediate terraforming project or build more terraforming buildings.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 11, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »

*Laughing*

I know, you going to say: "Besides, I'm hopeful Alex will simply add a building scroll bar in the next update, which will completely resolve this issue."

I am less optimistic...

OK. Another suggestion: Bad conditions and planet types do not increase project cost. They generate a negative terraforming progress instead. So it is not possible to converse hellish planet into terran by single terraforming platform in 20 years. So player need either use intermediate terraforming project or build more terraforming buildings.

I'm not so sure about this being a good idea. It's more realistic, but it will increase complexity and players may get frustrated if they don't understand why their terraforming buildings aren't accomplishing anything.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 219