Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1072175 times)

Jakub Inglot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.2.1)
« Reply #540 on: June 01, 2020, 01:19:48 AM »

question.
do ruins disappear when you terraform a planet to a different type?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 01, 2020, 02:14:25 AM »

question.
do ruins disappear when you terraform a planet to a different type?

As far as I use this mod, no - they are not disappear.

Probably they should, especially if water transformation. That is opinion not a suggestion.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

DrFunTimez69

• Ensign
  • Only real *****s **** with the OG Borderlands.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 01, 2020, 02:28:11 AM »

I'm at Umbra, the crazy ass pirate place, and I'm at the bar, but I don't see any sort of obvious "Specific Quest Start" dialogue about dumbass lobsters. I also went into the comm directory, but no luck. Am I doing something wrong? I'm in good with the pirates and Sindrian Diktat, is that a problem? Or is the quest leveled; because I have a level mod and I'm above level 50 so maybe that messes with the level requirement maybe?

Please help, I just want to make some lobsters.

Also, post above, ruins can be underwater. Ever heard of Atlantis? You know, maybe instead of finding electronic stuff, you can find tridents or mermaids.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 02:31:52 AM by DrFunTimez69 »
All yall talk **** 'til you get saturation bombarded, then it gets real ****ing quiet.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 01, 2020, 04:18:36 AM »

Sometimes it is just not appear. Try a few month later. And later... Eventually, he will be there.

And what do you expect? That guy will wait you forever? He probably have some other things to do.

ruins can be underwater.

There will be no obtainable finds in Atlantis ruins, if they are located under couple hundred kilometers deep. Pressure would destroy most of the salvage.

As I saying: opinion, not a suggestion.

DrFunTimez69

• Ensign
  • Only real *****s **** with the OG Borderlands.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 01, 2020, 04:31:47 AM »

Sometimes it is just not appear. Try a few month later. And later... Eventually, he will be there.

And what do you expect? That guy will wait you forever? He probably have some other things to do.

ruins can be underwater.

There will be no obtainable finds in Atlantis ruins, if they are located under couple hundred kilometers deep. Pressure would destroy most of the salvage.

As I saying: opinion, not a suggestion.

yeah, ok. I waited a month, now there's highlighted text, so yea you right, i just thought it'd always be there cuz "plotline".
also, it's be cool to find like a trident shooting railgun in an underwater ruin, or a ship with a mermaid on the front like pirate ships.
All yall talk **** 'til you get saturation bombarded, then it gets real ****ing quiet.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 01, 2020, 05:16:19 AM »

Just tried this mod - and am currently loving it.
Question, though: is there plans to perhaps add novel and new terraforming options or station types? Currently stations and terraforming seem expensive in the beginning, then become trivial later on - so would there be more fancier types? Perhaps a city planet for extreme cost, or special super stations for very late game?
Sorry if asked previously.

I had plans to include an arcology world type, but I was unable to find a satisfactory texture. If someone with artistic talent is willing to spend the time to create one, I would be happy to implement it.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 01, 2020, 06:11:28 AM »

Question, though: is there plans to perhaps add novel and new terraforming options or station types? Currently stations and terraforming seem expensive in the beginning, then become trivial later on - so would there be more fancier types? Perhaps a city planet for extreme cost, or special super stations for very late game?

I had plans to include an arcology world type, but I was unable to find a satisfactory texture. If someone with artistic talent is willing to spend the time to create one, I would be happy to implement it.
The "Artificial" worlds from Unknown Skies and The Cluster from Xhan Empire come to mind.
What would they do, anyway? Increase production at the expense of resources? Give a bonus to ground defenses/stability? Increase the industry cap?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 01, 2020, 06:53:18 AM »

The "Artificial" worlds from Unknown Skies and The Cluster from Xhan Empire come to mind.

Stealing? Seriously?

You can not just get texture from another mod, and even if you can, both are not exactly what is needed here.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 01, 2020, 07:22:27 AM »

Stealing? Seriously?

You can not just get texture from another mod, and even if you can, both are not exactly what is needed here.
I don't mean stealing, it just seemed relevant and I thought it could maybe be a key to open paths to what's needed.
The mod makers could be contacted and asked where they got the textures, for instance.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 01, 2020, 08:29:30 AM »

Stealing... Hard to steal things like an "arcology planet".

But there are lot of different cool stuff to be stolen.

Spoiler
[close]

Does not fit a SS style, tho'.

EDIT:

Worst thing - all of the texture I found, are flat with bump/normal map. Does SS able to use things like that?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:32:31 AM by Mondaymonkey »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 01, 2020, 10:07:02 AM »

Stealing... Hard to steal things like an "arcology planet".

But there are lot of different cool stuff to be stolen.

Spoiler
[close]

Does not fit a SS style, tho'.

EDIT:

Worst thing - all of the texture I found, are flat with bump/normal map. Does SS able to use things like that?

An entirely artificial planet or one covered completely in artificial construction wasn't what I had in mind. There is no precedent for this in the lore, and if you do the math a world-city covering the entire surface of even a small planet would likely accommodate trillions of inhabitants, which isn't possible given the maximum market size in starsector.

I was thinking more along the lines of a planet with a single enormous city on the surface that takes up a continent-sized amount of space. Depending on the texture created, it could either be a sort of eco-focused arcology that coexists with a terran biosphere, or a self-contained megastructure with energy/resource requirements that decimate the existing environment, turning the world into a barren rock with a single gigantic dome enclosing the arcology.

Some of the possible benefits for it that I've considered would be massively increased population growth, increased income, increased stability, increased ground/space defenses, or the ability to construct unique buildings/industries only applicable to a massive arcology.

As far as the texture goes, I would need a texture that at least loosely fits with the description above as well as SS art style, plus the glows overlay for when the city is on the night side of the planet (this would be crucial as the player should notice the giant arcology on the surface of their planet without opening the colony screen). I think the engine automatically creates the atmosphere and other effects based on spec settings without a bump map, etc. being necessary.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 01, 2020, 10:36:55 AM »

plus the glows overlay for when the city is on the night side of the planet

Easiest part. I mean it. No pixelhunting in textures like that, all procedural. 15 minutes maximally. And the particular texture from above originally contain ready-to-use alpha channel for lighting, which is even more easy.

An entirely artificial planet or one covered completely in artificial construction wasn't what I had in mind. There is no precedent for this in the lore, and if you do the math a world-city covering the entire surface of even a small planet would likely accommodate trillions of inhabitants, which isn't possible given the maximum market size in starsector.

I was thinking more along the lines of a planet with a single enormous city on the surface that takes up a continent-sized amount of space. Depending on the texture created, it could either be a sort of eco-focused arcology that coexists with a terran biosphere, or a self-contained megastructure with energy/resource requirements that decimate the existing environment, turning the world into a barren rock with a single gigantic dome enclosing the arcology.

That is why "Hard to steal things like an "arcology planet"." Rare content, dude. Unexisted, probably.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 01, 2020, 11:32:57 AM »

I have shoveled internet almost entirely, spending like like ~6 hours for this, and the closest thing is original arcology planet from stellaris.

Currently digging in game textures. Can't find all the objects it is composed of. Probably. something is hardcoded. Closest ready-to-use textures are city planets.
Spoiler
[close]

But even if I get an original arcology texture, I am afraid it does not fit SS. So it goes.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 01, 2020, 04:18:23 PM »

I have shoveled internet almost entirely, spending like like ~6 hours for this, and the closest thing is original arcology planet from stellaris.

Currently digging in game textures. Can't find all the objects it is composed of. Probably. something is hardcoded. Closest ready-to-use textures are city planets.
Spoiler
[close]

But even if I get an original arcology texture, I am afraid it does not fit SS. So it goes.

Six hours is a long time! I'm pretty convinced it won't be possible to find a suitable texture on the internet - it will need to be created/modified specifically for this mod.

Ultrak2k

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 01, 2020, 09:41:55 PM »

Alright, that's awesome! Hope it happens eventually. Any plans on fancy megastructure style stations?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 219