Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1072031 times)

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v3.0.1)
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2020, 06:39:18 PM »

You could allow for colonization of "terribly damaged stations" but put a colony condition on there of "terribly damaged station" of +400% hazard, and have to do something like a year long restoration(totally not terraforming) structure that requires a constant supply of machinery/metals/plutonics/etc for a year.

But why?

This all sounds like a measure to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.

ZeCaptain

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2020, 07:05:07 PM »

But why?

I thought it was discussed that the initial problem of "colonizing abandoned stations" was possibly easy access for a 100% hazard colony for cheap. This idea means it's still possible but you have to put more work into it.

VVVV
It was just so people have the option of doing so if they really wanted to. There's alot of wrecked stations in the core worlds that could be colonized, brought back to how they were in lore, then given back to their "owners" just to make it pretty.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 07:33:40 PM by ZeCaptain »

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »

But why?

I thought it was discussed that the initial problem of "colonizing abandoned stations" was possibly easy access for a 100% hazard colony for cheap. This idea means it's still possible but you have to put more work into it.

I know that, but you also have easy access to planets, you can still build a siphon station for example on a gas giant with high volatiles with the help of this mod and that is also 100 hazard, you can make your own mining station at a location of your choosing for 100% hazard, you can just colonize regularly some planet and make astropolis around it and those are also 100% hazard. Abandoned stations generally don't produce too many resources, so yeah, you get a 100% hazard colony but you're stuck with moderate metals or something like that, which won't get you farther as if you were to set up on a regular planet anyway.

This is why i'm questioning this topic as "Solving a problem that is not really there." why is this one specific thing so bothering?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »

But why?

VVVV
It was just so people have the option of doing so if they really wanted to. There's alot of wrecked stations in the core worlds that could be colonized, brought back to how they were in lore, then given back to their "owners" just to make it pretty.

Whether or not colonizing abandoned stations is too cheap or too expensive with the current values seems to depend a lot on the enabled mods and the playstyle of each person. I think I should implement a setting to change the costs to try to satisfy everyone.

Adding costs to expand/repair stations seems to be a feature many people want. I will look into adding this as a non-default option for those who want it.

ZeCaptain

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2020, 08:46:59 PM »

Thanks for all your unpaid hard work!

Deathviper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2020, 06:33:08 AM »

Is this mod supposed to let you create a station on an empty stable point? I cant see to get that option, just the normal vanilla build options.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2020, 09:40:11 AM »

Is this mod supposed to let you create a station on an empty stable point? I cant see to get that option, just the normal vanilla build options.

You can't make a station like that, it's either in an asteroid belt for metals, around a gas giant for volatiles, the astropolis around a big enough world or occupying an abandoned station.

RoquetheRogue

• Commander
  • personal text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2020, 10:15:25 AM »

You can't make a station like that, it's either in an asteroid belt for metals, around a gas giant for volatiles, the astropolis around a big enough world or occupying an abandoned station.

Yes they can, if they use Secrets of the Frontier Mod

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15820.0
A mind that opens itself to a new idea never returns to it's original size.

CrimsonPhalanx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v3.0.0)
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2020, 05:32:14 AM »

No, that is certainly not intended. I know this bug happens if the player doesn't view/interact with a colony very soon after creating the market, which is why I have the colony management screen open automatically when a station completes construction.

Did the colony interaction menu pop up like usual after each astropolis completed? Is the bug reproducible, or did it only happen that one time and you can't repeat it?

I will try to reproduce it a few times to help you out. I don't remember what else I was doing on my PC at the time. Could have been YT, programming, etc. that took my focus away for quite some time.

On a separate but related note, are there any plans to add a setting allowing the player to modify the build timer per station? There could also possibly be a cooldown period between building stations and a setting for that. It seems reasonable that building such a massive station would require a considerable logistic effort to undertake and would require a cooldown. Lastly, for the sake of choice, it would be neat to modify the number of stations per orbit as well through a setting. Thanks for reading.

Were you using any console commands around the time the bug the occurred, or to construct/modify the astropoli? If you're able to find a way to reproduce it, I can investigate, but without that it's very hard to determine the root cause.

Ideally stations would be "under construction" for a period of time during which the player can't build more, but I don't have a quality sprite for a station that's under construction so I don't think I can implement this right now.

I like the idea of having a setting to change the number of stations that can be built, especially for astropoli. I'll look into implementing this.

Can I get a link for the gate construction mod, please?

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17543.0

I have faced this issue before, for me the colony screen for the astropolis opens up the moment it completes, I've faced it a few times, even though I was very far from my colony exploring it just pops up. Although I'll just consider it a minor issue since all the player needs to do is press esc to close it.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2020, 02:36:26 PM »

No, that is certainly not intended. I know this bug happens if the player doesn't view/interact with a colony very soon after creating the market, which is why I have the colony management screen open automatically when a station completes construction.

Did the colony interaction menu pop up like usual after each astropolis completed? Is the bug reproducible, or did it only happen that one time and you can't repeat it?

I will try to reproduce it a few times to help you out. I don't remember what else I was doing on my PC at the time. Could have been YT, programming, etc. that took my focus away for quite some time.

On a separate but related note, are there any plans to add a setting allowing the player to modify the build timer per station? There could also possibly be a cooldown period between building stations and a setting for that. It seems reasonable that building such a massive station would require a considerable logistic effort to undertake and would require a cooldown. Lastly, for the sake of choice, it would be neat to modify the number of stations per orbit as well through a setting. Thanks for reading.

Were you using any console commands around the time the bug the occurred, or to construct/modify the astropoli? If you're able to find a way to reproduce it, I can investigate, but without that it's very hard to determine the root cause.

Ideally stations would be "under construction" for a period of time during which the player can't build more, but I don't have a quality sprite for a station that's under construction so I don't think I can implement this right now.

I like the idea of having a setting to change the number of stations that can be built, especially for astropoli. I'll look into implementing this.

I have faced this issue before, for me the colony screen for the astropolis opens up the moment it completes, I've faced it a few times, even though I was very far from my colony exploring it just pops up. Although I'll just consider it a minor issue since all the player needs to do is press esc to close it.

Just to clarify, the colony screen popping up is not a bug - it actually does that to PREVENT the bug, which is the population growing extremely quickly for no reason right after creating a station. Are you experiencing the uncontrolled population growth, despite the colony screen popup? Please let me know. Thanks.

FahadXray

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2020, 02:52:54 AM »

Is there a way to add an asteroid field or an asteroid belt using the console commands? I found an awesome system that had two great desert planets, I colonized them hoping to terraform them using the terraforming mod. But there are no cryovolcanic plants to colonize and build imsara's sling on, and no asteroids to build a mining station on to build a Drone Control Nexus that delivers water to the planets...

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2020, 06:45:11 AM »

Is there a way to add an asteroid field or an asteroid belt using the console commands? I found an awesome system that had two great desert planets, I colonized them hoping to terraform them using the terraforming mod. But there are no cryovolcanic plants to colonize and build imsara's sling on, and no asteroids to build a mining station on to build a Drone Control Nexus that delivers water to the planets...

You can actually build the Drone Control Nexus on astropoli, which can be built in orbit around one of the desert planets. That should allow you to get water for terraforming.

You could add an asteroid field using console commands, although it would be somewhat complicated and dependent on the characteristics of the system in question.

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2020, 06:56:02 PM »

Would it be possible to add file options to adjust prices and resource requirements for the various stations?

edit: so I think industries.csv does prices (maybe), but how about resource reqs?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:15:27 PM by PreConceptor »

CrimsonPhalanx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2020, 09:37:03 AM »

Just to clarify, the colony screen popping up is not a bug - it actually does that to PREVENT the bug, which is the population growing extremely quickly for no reason right after creating a station. Are you experiencing the uncontrolled population growth, despite the colony screen popup? Please let me know. Thanks.

I do not recall seeing any uncontrolled population growth across my stations and astropoli, so it seems to be working.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2020, 02:37:03 PM »

Would it be possible to add file options to adjust prices and resource requirements for the various stations?

edit: so I think industries.csv does prices (maybe), but how about resource reqs?

Industries.csv can control the build cost of astropoli, but that's about it. I'm working on an update now that will add settings to control resource costs. It'll be out soon!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 219