Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070420 times)

Supplius Maximus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v1.0.1)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 06:50:39 AM »

The mod causes a crash if you open up the "build industries" page of a planet located in a nebula system. Here's the log ERROR:

927239 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at data.campaign.econ.industries.Astropolis_Station.astropolisOrbitOK(Astropolis_Station.java:298)
   at data.campaign.econ.industries.Astropolis_Station.isAvailableToBuild(Astropolis_Station.java:355)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.IndustryPickerDialog.updateTable(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.IndustryPickerDialog.createUI(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.IndustryPickerDialog.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.IndustryListPanel.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.I.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.I.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O0OoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v1.0.2)
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 03:01:37 PM »

I found a bug concerning nexerlin and this mod. If you colonize a planet, put an astropolis in the build quene, then give it away, the astropolis after it's constructed will belong to the faction the planet belongs to, but you will have full control of the astropolis.

Also thank you for the mod!

Fixed in the 1.0.2 release. Thank you for letting me know about this!

The mod causes a crash if you open up the "build industries" page of a planet located in a nebula system. Here's the log ERROR:

927239 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at data.campaign.econ.industries.Astropolis_Station.astropolisOrbitOK(Astropolis_Station.java:298)
   at data.campaign.econ.industries.Astropolis_Station.isAvailableToBuild(Astropolis_Station.java:355)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.IndustryPickerDialog.updateTable(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.IndustryPickerDialog.createUI(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.IndustryPickerDialog.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.IndustryListPanel.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.I.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.I.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O0OoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Fixed in the 1.0.2 release. Sorry for this pretty serious bug and thank you for letting me know!

Supplius Maximus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 05:33:19 AM »

Thanks for the fix. I CAN NOW DOMINATE THE UNIVERSE FROM THE DARKEST HOLD OF SPACE!

Apart from that, I would like to request a feature: would it be possible to colonize abandoned space stations? In the game there are various space stations that can only be used for storage since they are abandoned and any faction station colony that gets decivilized becomes one such station. In my game a rather important space station met such a fate so I would like to colonize it. Would that be possible?

Anyway, thanks for your work!

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 02:48:24 PM »

Thanks for the fix. I CAN NOW DOMINATE THE UNIVERSE FROM THE DARKEST HOLD OF SPACE!

Apart from that, I would like to request a feature: would it be possible to colonize abandoned space stations? In the game there are various space stations that can only be used for storage since they are abandoned and any faction station colony that gets decivilized becomes one such station. In my game a rather important space station met such a fate so I would like to colonize it. Would that be possible?

Anyway, thanks for your work!

I think I might be able to add an ability to recolonize a nearby abandoned station. I will look into implementing this. Thanks for the feedback!

SparraNova

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »

This mod looks highly appealing for being able to make my own sneaky pirate bases dotted in out-of-the-way parts of the Core.

As a suggestion, there are a few stations scattered around the Sector that were built to harvest volatiles from gas giants, perhaps there could be a station type that has to be built around those (or iceballs, like the station around Garnir) that can mine volatiles? It would certainly be more practical than actually trying to live inside a gas giant (or whatever is happening when we colonize a gas giant).

But anyway, thanks for the mod!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 07:14:43 PM by SparraNova »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 09:50:50 AM »

This mod looks highly appealing for being able to make my own sneaky pirate bases dotted in out-of-the-way parts of the Core.

As a suggestion, there are a few stations scattered around the Sector that were built to harvest volatiles from gas giants, perhaps there could be a station type that has to be built around those (or iceballs, like the station around Garnir) that can mine volatiles? It would certainly be more practical than actually trying to live inside a gas giant (or whatever is happening when we colonize a gas giant).

I agree that volatiles mining stations make more sense than colonizing gas giants. However I don't want to "step on the toes" of the vanilla game and remove any reason at all to colonize gas giants (because they're largely useless except for mining volatiles).

That being said, you're not the first person to suggest this so by popular demand I may just implement them anyway!

SparraNova

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 10:31:04 PM »

I agree that volatiles mining stations make more sense than colonizing gas giants. However I don't want to "step on the toes" of the vanilla game and remove any reason at all to colonize gas giants (because they're largely useless except for mining volatiles).

That being said, you're not the first person to suggest this so by popular demand I may just implement them anyway!
Presumably it would be significantly more of an ordeal to drag volatiles up the gravity well of a Gas Giant for processing than just harvesting them and bottling them up inside the atmosphere itself Cloud City-style, so perhaps it could be a case of sacrificing some of the volatiles (like down to just normal amounts from +2 or something) in trade for having a colony that's not absolute hell to maintain?

Not sure if basing the amount of stuff the station market has off the planet it's built near is feasible (perhaps just make it a fixed -1 reguardless?) but it would make for a similar tradeoff to building mining stations instead of colonizing those horrible magma-covered deathballs with Abundant ores.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 04:35:56 PM »

Presumably it would be significantly more of an ordeal to drag volatiles up the gravity well of a Gas Giant for processing than just harvesting them and bottling them up inside the atmosphere itself Cloud City-style, so perhaps it could be a case of sacrificing some of the volatiles (like down to just normal amounts from +2 or something) in trade for having a colony that's not absolute hell to maintain?

Not sure if basing the amount of stuff the station market has off the planet it's built near is feasible (perhaps just make it a fixed -1 reguardless?) but it would make for a similar tradeoff to building mining stations instead of colonizing those horrible magma-covered deathballs with Abundant ores.

I'm going to base the amount of volatiles the siphon station has off the amount the gas giant has.

Right now I'm pretty against adding mining stations for planets (the asteroid belt ones are staying!) because they would require operations on the ground like mines and temporary housing for workers, so the reduction in hazard doesn't really make sense. Siphon stations make sense because the entire station/colony is in orbit. I presume the high hazard from gas giants comes from living in cloud cities with very high gravity, among other things.

I know there is at least one abandoned mining station in the vanilla sector that mentions a skyhook being used to bring ore from the surface to orbit efficiently. I could potentially use this as justification for adding mining stations around planets if I decide to revisit this in the future.

SparraNova

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 09:11:51 PM »

I'm going to base the amount of volatiles the siphon station has off the amount the gas giant has.

Right now I'm pretty against adding mining stations for planets (the asteroid belt ones are staying!) because they would require operations on the ground like mines and temporary housing for workers, so the reduction in hazard doesn't really make sense. Siphon stations make sense because the entire station/colony is in orbit. I presume the high hazard from gas giants comes from living in cloud cities with very high gravity, among other things.

I know there is at least one abandoned mining station in the vanilla sector that mentions a skyhook being used to bring ore from the surface to orbit efficiently. I could potentially use this as justification for adding mining stations around planets if I decide to revisit this in the future.
I actually meant constructing the asteroid mining stations versus having a mining-only colony on a like 300% Hazard Rating magma planet. The Magma Planet produces more material, but it's a 300% Hazard Rating hellhole that will cost you an arm and a leg to keep running.

Personally I'd imagine planetary mining stations as being more like an industrial version of the existing defense stations, where it's actually a building on the planet itself that gives bonuses to mining and refining or something instead of being an independant market... possibly an acessability bonus as well due to having a Space Elevator/Skyhook operation hauling the ore into orbit instead of dragging it up via shuttle?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:15:57 PM by SparraNova »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 01:19:12 PM »

I actually meant constructing the asteroid mining stations versus having a mining-only colony on a like 300% Hazard Rating magma planet. The Magma Planet produces more material, but it's a 300% Hazard Rating hellhole that will cost you an arm and a leg to keep running.

Personally I'd imagine planetary mining stations as being more like an industrial version of the existing defense stations, where it's actually a building on the planet itself that gives bonuses to mining and refining or something instead of being an independant market... possibly an acessability bonus as well due to having a Space Elevator/Skyhook operation hauling the ore into orbit instead of dragging it up via shuttle?

That's an interesting idea for an industry but it is probably outside the scope of this mod. If I found some good artwork for a space elevator/skyhook industry I might make another mod to implement it.

Supplius Maximus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v2.0.0)
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 02:02:03 PM »

Hell yeah, update! And you even added the ability I requested! Thank you!

runetrantor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »

Experiencing a bug where stations, some just after construction, other after some time working fine, suddenly lose all market capacity despite having commodities and all.

https://i.imgur.com/Kp5GYqW.jpg

This station was working just fine a bit back, now it acts like there's nothing in it, and the commodities tab to the right is empty.

Its not decivilizing either at least...

Happened to another station just after creating it, had to abandon it.

Will see with 2.0 if I can recolonize it.

For reference, both were made with an older version of the mod. I already updated it though, and its not fixing it. 
Will see if new ones are fine.

EDIT: Recolonized the abandoned station that glitched out at founding. Seems to be working fine right now. Though it lost its mineral conditions. (Cost to colonize was cheaper than stated, btw).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:52:14 AM by runetrantor »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2019, 01:52:32 PM »

Experiencing a bug where stations, some just after construction, other after some time working fine, suddenly lose all market capacity despite having commodities and all.

https://i.imgur.com/Kp5GYqW.jpg

This station was working just fine a bit back, now it acts like there's nothing in it, and the commodities tab to the right is empty.

Its not decivilizing either at least...

Happened to another station just after creating it, had to abandon it.

Will see with 2.0 if I can recolonize it.

For reference, both were made with an older version of the mod. I already updated it though, and its not fixing it. 
Will see if new ones are fine.

EDIT: Recolonized the abandoned station that glitched out at founding. Seems to be working fine right now. Though it lost its mineral conditions. (Cost to colonize was cheaper than stated, btw).

Regarding the cost to colonize being lower than stated, how many credits were subtracted versus how many were you expecting to be subtracted?

My mods make extensive use of tags to track certain information persistently. If you're using another mod that calls clearTags() on either the SectorEntityToken or MarketAPI of my stations, this will certainly cause serious issues. I believe this may be the cause of the issue because the recolonize ability adds the mining resources to the station if it has the tag "boggled_mining_station". If another mod clears tags, that would explain the lack of mining resources.

I see you have other mods that make major changes to the stations in terms of adding industries or resources. If you disable those mods, can you reproduce the issue? Do vanilla stations (e.x. Port Tse, New Maxios, etc. that were not created or recolonized with my mod) have this issue as well? Can you give me a list of the mods you have that effect the economy/structures so I can look at the code? Thank you!

bopeepatehersheep

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2019, 04:06:12 PM »

Haven't played with the mod yet but i plan to.

A couple questions and suggestion.

3 stations per world - does that mean per colonized world or just world in the system, colonized or not? 
I want to say that either way that seems like it would be very powerful.  I haven't seen the cost of making these stations yet though so perhaps it isn't as powerful as I think.

Does each station act like a colony in that I could also construct a star fortress (or any colony structure for that matter)?  Or does the station itself act like a battlestation?  (that may be a bit of a newbie question since I don't quite know exactly how stations the AI uses work)

edit: welp, the following doesn't really apply as i just saw the cost to build stations and i think a player trying to avoid upkeep costs would really have to be thinking long term for the initial cost to be worth it for that reason alone
So not knowing the exact cost to build as I haven't played with it yet, the 100% hazard rating seems a bit too ideal.  There would literally be no reason to colonize a gas giant because the siphoning station would be better in every way.  It also seems like I could use planets just for the resource extraction (which are relatively low upkeep) and put all high upkeep buildings on the stations I construct - thereby circumventing high upkeep costs on planets above 100% hazard.  I think something like a 125% or 150% hazard makes sense because these stations are in space - they have to worry about asteroid impacts unlike a planet with a decent atmosphere.

I don't want to come off as being critical of your work - I think this mod is a great idea and I fully look forward to playing with it.   
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:44:56 PM by bopeepatehersheep »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2019, 04:32:53 AM »

Haven't played with the mod yet but i plan to.

A couple questions and suggestion.

3 stations per world - does that mean per colonized world or just world in the system, colonized or not? 
I want to say that either way that seems like it would be very powerful.  I haven't seen the cost of making these stations yet though so perhaps it isn't as powerful as I think.

Does each station act like a colony in that I could also construct a star fortress (or any colony structure for that matter)?  Or does the station itself act like a battlestation?  (that may be a bit of a newbie question since I don't quite know exactly how stations the AI uses work)

edit: welp, the following doesn't really apply as i just saw the cost to build stations and i think a player trying to avoid upkeep costs would really have to be thinking long term for the initial cost to be worth it for that reason alone
So not knowing the exact cost to build as I haven't played with it yet, the 100% hazard rating seems a bit too ideal.  There would literally be no reason to colonize a gas giant because the siphoning station would be better in every way.  It also seems like I could use planets just for the resource extraction (which are relatively low upkeep) and put all high upkeep buildings on the stations I construct - thereby circumventing high upkeep costs on planets above 100% hazard.  I think something like a 125% or 150% hazard makes sense because these stations are in space - they have to worry about asteroid impacts unlike a planet with a decent atmosphere.

I don't want to come off as being critical of your work - I think this mod is a great idea and I fully look forward to playing with it.   

The stations have 100% hazard because that's what vanilla stations have.

With siphon stations, building one costs 500,000 credits and a bunch of resources, unlike colonizing. Though they are powerful long term, the up front cost is very high relative to just colonizing a gas giant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 219