Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 221

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1094293 times)

tinchek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.4.6)
« Reply #885 on: October 11, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »

Does the AI actually use these gates or are they just a stat increase for the system?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 11, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »

Does the AI actually use these gates or are they just a stat increase for the system?

The AI does not use gates. Only the player can use them.

tinchek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 11, 2020, 04:08:07 PM »

Okay great, thanks for the quick answer... Also while you are here. I built every structure and industry I can on a planet(1010) and I noticed not all fit on the colony management screen. I also noticed some can be upgraded. How can I upgrade a building if I can't see it and click on it?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 12, 2020, 04:19:59 AM »

Okay great, thanks for the quick answer... Also while you are here. I built every structure and industry I can on a planet(1010) and I noticed not all fit on the colony management screen. I also noticed some can be upgraded. How can I upgrade a building if I can't see it and click on it?

This is an issue with vanilla Starsector. It's hardcoded that the colony management screen can only fit a certain number of structures, and modders can't remove that limit. Sorry!

tinchek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 12, 2020, 10:40:01 AM »

Too bad, few buildings don't have their Alpha cores.

immortalartisan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 12, 2020, 07:43:50 PM »

archolgy worlds keep crashing my game once I terraform the planet evem after updating diy planets
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 07:46:13 PM by immortalartisan »

ZeCaptain

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 13, 2020, 02:51:54 AM »

Dumb idea: Allow the construction of a full remenant battlestation, but make it consume like 20-50 alpha cores over the course of construction by pulling from the colony's local storage.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 13, 2020, 05:17:17 AM »

archolgy worlds keep crashing my game once I terraform the planet evem after updating diy planets

Have you updated my mod to the latest version? I think I fixed that crash.

Dumb idea: Allow the construction of a full remenant battlestation, but make it consume like 20-50 alpha cores over the course of construction by pulling from the colony's local storage.

The current remnant battlestation in my mod is the full battlestation as far as I know. The damaged battlestation is missing some of the parts.

Jason_Lucentio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 14, 2020, 06:08:41 PM »

I don't understand the point of building an Astropolis when it uses up a colony management slot and it doesn't have any special buildings(as of yet). It feels like you would make more money by just simply colonizing a planet than to build an Astropolis.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 14, 2020, 07:27:53 PM »

The Astropolis only takes up the slot while building.  It removes itself once complete (similar to the MP HQ).

Astropoli have 100% habitability ratings, so they're good for shoving your expensive industries on top, it's a good way to expand your production capacity.  Put a military base on it and it'll further strengthen your system's fleets against pesky raiders, on top of your planet's fleet-producing capacity.

Plus there's the role-playing and world-building opportunities it brings.  Restoring Mayasura's destroyed astropolis back to its former glory, setting up a habitable base above a mining planet, creating an "embassy station" in the Core Worlds, etc.

Jason_Lucentio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 14, 2020, 08:44:18 PM »

The Astropolis only takes up the slot while building.  It removes itself once complete (similar to the MP HQ).

Astropoli have 100% habitability ratings, so they're good for shoving your expensive industries on top, it's a good way to expand your production capacity.  Put a military base on it and it'll further strengthen your system's fleets against pesky raiders, on top of your planet's fleet-producing capacity.

Plus there's the role-playing and world-building opportunities it brings.  Restoring Mayasura's destroyed astropolis back to its former glory, setting up a habitable base above a mining planet, creating an "embassy station" in the Core Worlds, etc.

The slot I was referring to is the 'Management' penalty(viewed under "Command") you get for having too many colonies without enough administrators available; I believe you get more admins by just growing your total market over time.

Technically there is a way to make markets autonomous but they only contribute 20% of the profit/loss and Heavy industry there do not contribute to personal production cap. I suppose this might be worth for a single planet system in order to solidify its defense if having raider problems.

imo, value of building Astropolis would increase if making it autonomous allowed Heavy industry to contribute to the production cap
(I checked the wiki and couldn't find autonomous markets, perhaps one of the other mods I'm using?)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:18:23 PM by Jason_Lucentio »

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 15, 2020, 03:48:15 AM »

You know you can use Alpha Cores as administrators without any management penalty, right?

Jason_Lucentio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 15, 2020, 05:23:36 AM »

You know you can use Alpha Cores as administrators without any management penalty, right?

Yes, I only have one and I'm talking about whether its worthwhile building an Astropolis. In my opinion, there isn't enough incentive to actually build, aside from RP reasons, because colonizing most planets is just better than using a colony slot on an Astropolis.

I.E - Why would you spend 500k for a colony that takes time to build with no resources; When you can travel two or three star systems for a planet with less monetary cost, immediate start, resources, and reasonable hazard rating? The only reason not RP I can think of is because you're having hostile problems in a single colony system.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 15, 2020, 05:30:25 AM »

Yes, I only have one and I'm talking about whether its worthwhile building an Astropolis. In my opinion, there isn't enough incentive to actually build, aside from RP reasons, because colonizing most planets is just better than using a colony slot on an Astropolis.

I.E - Why would you spend 500k for a colony that takes time to build with no resources; When you can travel two or three star systems for a planet with less monetary cost, immediate start, resources, and reasonable hazard rating? The only reason not RP I can think of is because you're having hostile problems in a single colony system.

I think the general consensus among players who've built astropoli is that they're overpowered because they allow the player to stack huge numbers of defense fleets in a single system. They can also allow the player to stack a large number of low-hazard colonies in a system with a cryosleeper. I included the station population cap settings because enabling them fixes these balance problems in my opinion.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 15, 2020, 05:56:48 AM »

Defense.
Astropoli can be used to bolster the fleets of systems with a lacking number of planets, and once you build all three of them, you essentially have a planet that's four colonies in one, which is basically unconquerable even if the entire sector hates you.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 221