Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 222

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1098770 times)

Fen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.3.1)
« Reply #630 on: June 24, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think I can remove the food demand without making changes to core starsector files (which would introduce conflicts with other mods).
Really? Unknown Skies adds two colony conditions that remove drug demand, and if I recall correctly, the "Habitable" condition does the same with a planet's base organics needs, so I had the impression that it was relatively easy. My mistake if it isn't.
What if I implement an arcology-unique building that can produce food without taking up an industry slot?
A food industry that doesn't take an industry slot would be pretty cool and make arcology worlds more distinct, but as someone who plays with Industrial Evolution and other mods that add new structures, I can see myself removing it in favor of farming on a terran world the moment I reach the structure hard cap.
Though, I suppose you can't base your mod development around a problem that doesn't exist in vanilla.

This was gonna be my suggestion too. If it's possible for the arcology project to add a colony condition that counters the food demand, that'd absolutely be the best way to go in my opinion. If it isn't possible, then ah well, I can live without it.

Also agreed on the point about building slots. Whether or not something takes an industry slot isn't really an issue in my opinion, especially with Nexerelin giving us the ability to make colonies autonomous (effectively letting us run as many colonies as we like), it's the 12 slots per colony that's the real problem that has to be worked around. Looking forward to 0.9.2 when that should hopefully be addressed, but until then, that's the real limitation we have to work around.

EatLikeAnOuroboros

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 24, 2020, 08:45:20 PM »

Nope. Are you on the latest version of the mod? Can you terraform to other planet types besides arcology?

Ah yeah I woke up and started my game and Nex told me to update. Thanks anyway, super cool mod

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 26, 2020, 06:05:04 AM »

It's a shame there's no room for any more planet types.
The addition of arcology worlds combined with my recent binging of Isaac Arthur's YT channel made me think that having ecumenopoli would be pretty cool.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 26, 2020, 06:39:00 AM »

The addition of arcology worlds combined with my recent binging of Isaac Arthur's YT channel made me think that having ecumenopoli would be pretty cool.

I don't think a world-city planet type can happen because it's just a more extreme version of the arcology world, and a world-city would have a maximum population of at least hundreds of billions or trillions of people, which isn't possible in starsector.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 26, 2020, 08:22:54 AM »

I don't think a world-city planet type can happen because it's just a more extreme version of the arcology world, and a world-city would have a maximum population of at least hundreds of billions or trillions of people, which isn't possible in starsector.
My idea was that a hyper-urbanized planet would be far less organized than an arcology world while at the same time having better planet-wide infrastructure and a more spread-out population, increasing accessibility and allowing more efficient defense and industry at the expense of stability and access to the planet's resources. Arcologies are easier to manage, but they're pockets of high population which are basically weak spots on the planet's surface, to the point that I'd fully understand if you made the planet type come with a defense penalty. You wouldn't have that with ecumenopoli.
I would have suggested locking this type behind higher planetary population sizes, but you have a point about even the highest sizes in Starsector being too small.
I guess they're just another endeavor that's too much for the sub-K1 civilization in the sector.

yourleader

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 26, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »

Can we have a new industry called "Artificial Greenhouse" which require no farmland, but need organics (as fertilizer) to produce food? I feel like my standalone fortress missed something, and this is the one.

And maybe a station can produce organics by "cruel" kind of industry: "Bio Incinerate", which require crews (or -2 stability) and volatile to produce organics. You basically burn dead people and use them to fertilize greenhouse.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:36:38 AM by yourleader »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 26, 2020, 08:42:27 AM »

Can we have a new industry called "Artificial Greenhouse" which require no farmland, but need organics (as fertilizer) to produce food? I feel like my standalone fortress missed something, and this is the one.

Something like already existed hydroponic industry???

Dude, turn it on in a settings:

Code
"boggledHydroponicsEnabled":true,

And maybe a station can produce organics by "cruel" kind of industry: "Bio Incinerate", which require crews (or -2 stability) and volatile to produce organics. You basically burn dead people and use them to fertilize greenhouse.

That is rather suggestion for industrial evolution mod.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:44:12 AM by Mondaymonkey »
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 27, 2020, 12:52:51 PM »

Suggestion: Pheromone Splicer should take an industry slot.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 27, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »

Suggestion: Pheromone Splicer should take an industry slot.

Why? For balance purposes? It doesn't seem to be a good candidate to become an industry because it doesn't produce any commodities.

Strangelove

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 27, 2020, 03:26:34 PM »

Any particular reason why domain-era archaeology doesn’t provide any artifacts for the player specifically, as in, put it in his storage?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 27, 2020, 09:41:54 PM »

Why? For balance purposes? It doesn't seem to be a good candidate to become an industry because it doesn't produce any commodities.

Yes, for balance purposes. Commerce does not produce commodities, still an industry. High command produce only marines (no export income from them) and it is an industry. Besides, you always able to make it produce commodities, like crew (no income from export). I mean, it produce population and even require NF to do it effectively. And if payer builds all arcology structures, he will not have a place for an industries any way.

Also, I know that arcology should be self-sufficient, but arcology structures could have some commodity demands. At least symbolical.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 28, 2020, 07:47:13 AM »

Yes, for balance purposes. Commerce does not produce commodities, still an industry. High command produce only marines (no export income from them) and it is an industry. Besides, you always able to make it produce commodities, like crew (no income from export). I mean, it produce population and even require NF to do it effectively. And if payer builds all arcology structures, he will not have a place for an industries any way.

Also, I know that arcology should be self-sufficient, but arcology structures could have some commodity demands. At least symbolical.

Commerce is the only industry that doesn't produce a commodity that I'm aware of, and commerce by definition is an industrial activity. I think if the Pheromone Splicer is overpowered I should just reduce the growth multiplier instead.

I can't think of any commodity that it would be reasonable for arcology buildings to demand. I would say Domain-era artifacts, but that wouldn't make sense because all three of them are close to being feasible using even modern day Earth technology.

Any particular reason why domain-era archaeology doesn’t provide any artifacts for the player specifically, as in, put it in his storage?

It does place artifacts in storage, similar to how other commodity producing industries do. You do have to pay if you draw down the stockpile however.

Strangelove

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 28, 2020, 01:21:10 PM »

Perhaps it’s a bug but I’ve never had it placed in my storage.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 28, 2020, 04:42:20 PM »

It doesn't go into the player storage, it goes into the resources stockpile on the market.

Fen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 28, 2020, 09:44:13 PM »

It doesn't go into the player storage, it goes into the resources stockpile on the market.

I think you misread their question. They're asking why it doesn't provide any in the player storage, like how the Variable Assembler from Industrial Evolution does. imo the reason is pretty simply that there's little reason to as they're intended to be used for industry upkeep, so it makes sense for you to have to buy them off your colonies, but I'm also not the mod maker xP
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 222