Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Legendary officers  (Read 1634 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Legendary officers
« on: October 26, 2019, 06:46:48 AM »

A way to get some of the famous named characters in the lore into the game. Mods could add their own, too.
Recruiting a legendary officer would require the player to meet stringent conditions: completing a specific quest, having a commission if applicable, and having a high reputation with that faction.

Some proposed rules:
  • Legendary officers do not count towards the player's officer cap
  • Player can have only one LO at a time
  • LOs can level higher than regular officers, and perhaps also come with fleetwide skills
  • Story point stuff: LOs automatically have one or more skills (perhaps all) at elite level, and cannot have their personality changed

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary officers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »

Oddly enough, there's something similar - but not as lore-heavy - in the dev build already! The cryopod officers you find have a chance of being above the normal maximum level, with a higher number of elite skills.

I do really like the idea for hand-crafted legendary officers, though! Could even go all-out and have a special skill for each of those officers... hmm.

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 10:56:26 AM »

having a commission if applicable, and having a high reputation with that faction.

And perhaps if you no longer meet those requirements, some of these legends will leave you? I'm sure that the Hegemony loyalist who agreed to serve in my fleet would be a little miffed about that one time I ordered him to raid Chicomoztoc.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »

It might be best to keep a little bit of randomness in the unique officers. Otherwise players will beeline their favorites or choose them over every other option every time. Some random elements will help give a mix of good times and bad times, so that each game experience can be more unique.

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 09:13:02 AM »

one way to offset the LO's would be to give them some serious drawbacks, like.

-does not attack X faction
-does not go farther than X light years from the Core
-does not go near the Core
-only flies a single ship size( only frigates )
-needs a constant supply of hard drugs/luxury goods
-ship they fly gets +100% maintenance cost coz the LO's is an obsessive maintenance type
-needs to kill a pirate/path base every 3 months, or their CR starts to decline at 10%/month
-does not fly in a fleet bigger than 10 ships
etc.

aaaaand the twist is that you can cure them of their mental  problems by doing ANOTHER QUEST.(SPEECH SKILL WHEN????)

having a commission if applicable, and having a high reputation with that faction.

And perhaps if you no longer meet those requirements, some of these legends will leave you? I'm sure that the Hegemony loyalist who agreed to serve in my fleet would be a little miffed about that one time I ordered him to raid Chicomoztoc.

or as the bodies hit the floor they'll laughing maniacally and saying "WHO'S LAUGHING NOW???!?!?! AHAHHAHAHAHA" and you get a one time +100% rare loot raid bonus because you knew where the goodies were.