Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 39

Author Topic: [0.96a] Yuri Expedition v.3.0.2 || Faction Pack || Hotfix 12/27 [YRXP]  (Read 290133 times)

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile

So I didn't see this anywhere else, but the Raven-class cruiser seems to be bugged; it either shows up destroyed when brought into battle or all of the weapons mounted on its armor break and don't seem to repair. This doesn't impact it when the enemy uses them, but only the player.

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile

So I didn't see this anywhere else, but the Raven-class cruiser seems to be bugged; it either shows up destroyed when brought into battle or all of the weapons mounted on its armor break and don't seem to repair. This doesn't impact it when the enemy uses them, but only the player.
Thanks for the bug report!

I don't think I've ever seen any ship that spawns already destroyed when brought into battle, but regarding its weapons - the weapons mounted under the armor are intended to 'break' and won't repair until the armor is purged. This is a workaround I had to implement because, for some reason, the normal way which I use to disable weapons under the armor do not work on beam weapons, like tac lasers, i.e. they can still fire even from under the armor.

jexams

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hey there. New to starsector in general so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is a mechanic, or a bug.

Basically, I've noticed that in some battles, I'm unable to fire the Sakura Splitter on the Scorched Lily midway through the fight. Is this due to the weapon getting disabled by the front of the ship being damaged?

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile

Hey there. New to starsector in general so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is a mechanic, or a bug.

Basically, I've noticed that in some battles, I'm unable to fire the Sakura Splitter on the Scorched Lily midway through the fight. Is this due to the weapon getting disabled by the front of the ship being damaged?
Hi, thanks for the report! I'm not sure if it's a bug but in case you're not aware yet, weapons do get disabled in Startsector when they are damaged a lot, or if they receive EMP damage. They get repaired after a short wait, though! Hmm, I suppose there are other reasons that the gun would not fire - iirc, it ought to cost a bit of flux to shoot, so even if you charge it up, if the resulting flux would go over your capacity, the shot will cancel. Apart from that, it should not have any special rules for not being able to fire anymore.

This is in contrast to the Star Breaker - every time it fires its main gun, there is a small chance of permanently disabling parts of the ship - engines, weapons and indeed, the main gun itself.

jexams

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi, thanks for the report! I'm not sure if it's a bug but in case you're not aware yet, weapons do get disabled in Startsector when they are damaged a lot, or if they receive EMP damage. They get repaired after a short wait, though! Hmm, I suppose there are other reasons that the gun would not fire - iirc, it ought to cost a bit of flux to shoot, so even if you charge it up, if the resulting flux would go over your capacity, the shot will cancel. Apart from that, it should not have any special rules for not being able to fire anymore.

This is in contrast to the Star Breaker - every time it fires its main gun, there is a small chance of permanently disabling parts of the ship - engines, weapons and indeed, the main gun itself.
Thanks so much for the reply! I didn't actually consider flux being the issue. I'll definitely take a closer look at that next time.

I've also got another couple of questions

1) I recently got ahold of the Shine Ray and I noticed that aside from the "main" body of the ship, there are three additional sections that I can mount weapons and hullmods on. How do I access those weapon systems once in combat? I tried checking out the Conquest Battlecruiser but it didn't have additional sections to control and I didn't notice any keybind options for additional sections.

2) If the Spica Orb G RKT pods get disabled in combat, are they supposed to be able to fire a missile that almost immediately explodes once it leaves the ship? I noticed that happen during a recent fight.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:00:13 AM by jexams »

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile

1) I recently got ahold of the Shine Ray and I noticed that aside from the "main" body of the ship, there are three additional sections that I can mount weapons and hullmods on. How do I access those weapon systems once in combat? I tried checking out the Conquest Battlecruiser but it didn't have additional sections to control and I didn't notice any keybind options for additional sections.
Additional modules like these are only AI-controlled, unfortunately! A game limitation, it seems. These rarely appear in vanilla starsector, and where they do, you often can't use those ships, e.g. Starbases, but they appear in many YRXP ships.

2) If the Spica Orb G RKT pods get disabled in combat, are they supposed to be able to fire a missile that almost immediately explodes once it leaves the ship? I noticed that happen during a recent fight.
No, that behavior shouldn't happen, and I don't think I've ever seen something like that happen before. Though, since you say the pod was disabled, could it be simply that the weapon was under fire while it was launching the missiles? Missiles in Starsector behave as real entities and do take damage, and so would explode if they hit something even right after they were launched out of the pod.

jexams

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Additional modules like these are only AI-controlled, unfortunately! A game limitation, it seems. These rarely appear in vanilla starsector, and where they do, you often can't use those ships, e.g. Starbases, but they appear in many YRXP ships.

Ah, alright. Gotcha!

No, that behavior shouldn't happen, and I don't think I've ever seen something like that happen before. Though, since you say the pod was disabled, could it be simply that the weapon was under fire while it was launching the missiles? Missiles in Starsector behave as real entities and do take damage, and so would explode if they hit something even right after they were launched out of the pod.

I'm admittedly not sure if the weapon was actually disabled (I didn't notice anything that would imply that) but it definitely did behave weird. The missiles, when fired would be moving significantly slower than they should be and end up exploding after barely moving away from the ship, even without getting hit by anything (that I noticed). I'll continue to observe to see if it happens again.

update: So I didn't realize that the spica missiles have nearly non-existent tracking. Upon closer inspection, they seem to fizzle out and explode prematurely if they aren't properly aimed at anything they can actually hit. It's like.. they'll leave the ship, slowly try and turn towards a target, and then explode. Not sure if that's how missiles with poor tracking are supposed to work but either way, i've swapped them out for the sparklers, which work better when mounted broadside and I still want to point the forward facing torpedo weapon towards a ship.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:12:08 PM by jexams »

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile

Thanks for the bug report!

I don't think I've ever seen any ship that spawns already destroyed when brought into battle, but regarding its weapons - the weapons mounted under the armor are intended to 'break' and won't repair until the armor is purged. This is a workaround I had to implement because, for some reason, the normal way which I use to disable weapons under the armor do not work on beam weapons, like tac lasers, i.e. they can still fire even from under the armor.

I've heard the instadeath bug might be related to weapon-equipped modules not having a minimum of 1OP or something weird like that?

jexams

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I was messing around with my Mythril Cloak Aegis Cruiser and noticed that the tactical lasers that I had mounted on the hardpoints covered by the cloak fire even when the cloak isn't retracted.

Also, I'm playing nexerelin on the yuri expedition side and made contact with one of the high priority bounties, Mimi Nyourai, and helped them fight my actual bounty target. After the fight, I made contact and they contacted me, asking if I wanted to play. When I decided against fighting them, I noticed that the high priority bounty was basically withdrawn. Not sure if that's an intended interaction or not.

(Sorry for all the posts recently. I'm having a blast with this mod haha)

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile

I've heard the instadeath bug might be related to weapon-equipped modules not having a minimum of 1OP or something weird like that?
Hmm, how strange. I've been using the 0 OP rangefinder on several ships but I've never seen this happen... thanks for the tip though. I'll look out for it.

I was messing around with my Mythril Cloak Aegis Cruiser and noticed that the tactical lasers that I had mounted on the hardpoints covered by the cloak fire even when the cloak isn't retracted.
Huh, I could have sworn those modules were composite... This is actually the bug that happens with the Raven the weapons themselves weren't disabled while it still had the external armor.

Also, I'm playing nexerelin on the yuri expedition side and made contact with one of the high priority bounties, Mimi Nyourai, and helped them fight my actual bounty target. After the fight, I made contact and they contacted me, asking if I wanted to play. When I decided against fighting them, I noticed that the high priority bounty was basically withdrawn. Not sure if that's an intended interaction or not.

(Sorry for all the posts recently. I'm having a blast with this mod haha)
I'm pretty sure that Vayra's Sector's HVBs do have end dates, though iirc they aren't displayed. It happened to me too, the HVB I was grinding some ships for disappeared from my info screen when I'd finally built a fleet to hunt it down. You might have just come across the same thing, except first-hand.

And I'm glad you're enjoying the mod, I appreciate your feedback, so please don't be sorry!

Deageon

• Commander
    • View Profile

playing around with the sakura splitter, what level of spread has the most damage? Also I adore how speedy and manuverable it can get with added player skills.

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile

playing around with the sakura splitter, what level of spread has the most damage? Also I adore how speedy and manuverable it can get with added player skills.
Hmm, that's pretty difficult to say.

Numbers-wise, the farthest spread bullets do the most total damage. However, given its massive dispersion, you would not likely find a target that is large enough to take a full serving of it. On the other hand, the smaller the bullet, the smaller its individual alpha - meaning armor will be more effective at mitigating it. On the flip side, the massive first stage of the cannon does the highest single alpha damage which would translate to armor penetration, however it will also deal the least total damage on bare hull. The numbers are basically a gradient of these two extremes around the middle, so you probably want to look there for a good balance.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 04:46:26 AM by creature »

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile

I really want to see this mod in the tournament now. The heavy missile focus with minimal/no shileds sounds very interesting.

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile

I really want to see this mod in the tournament now. The heavy missile focus with minimal/no shileds sounds very interesting.
Do you mean Tartiflette's new tournament? I haven't been keeping up lately, so I didn't even know until you left this message, haha. It sounds fun, I might give it a watch! Doesn't say where though. :P

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile

Someone on discord noticed a hilarious exploit with Shine Ray's frigates (due to having a low "reload time").

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 39