Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod  (Read 126229 times)

Kh0rnet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v4.0.1)
« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2020, 07:31:09 AM »

If you don't want to wait a cycle to see the results, you can use the setting in the settings.csv file that modifies the time it takes to complete terraforming for the MUD. I think setting it to zero should result in immediate terraforming without any bugs.

Thank for the protip, will do next time I wanna test terraforming.

If you're willing to expand/rework the mod as I've briefly seen you mention in your station construction mod thread: I humbly suggest some kind of gravity stabilizer structure to counteract the effects of gravity hazards. I think it's highly plausible since it's already considered "probable" by science to manipulate it using electromagnetism. I know we can currently do it with a MUD through settings but that feels too cheap. Technically it would work the same as stellar shades/mirrors, but the effect would be instant, and of course it would have to keep running.
I've seen too many good habitable worlds ruined by high gravity already...

Same for tectonic activity, though that one hurts me a lot less in general.

Also, since I'm personally finding planet/colony management my favorite part of Starsector (in part thanks to your mod), I'd also like to ask: is there any hope of seeing extra functionality/compatibility for Unknown Skies (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12041.0)?

Arak

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2020, 09:04:39 AM »

Found an planet that is unsupported by the Miller-Urey Device that I believe is either part of Kadur Remnant or Vayra's Sector, it's Melek Taus in the Gehenna System and the tooltip for the device labels it as "vayra_bread".

Just wanted to give a heads up, love the mod!

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 11, 2020, 02:34:22 PM »

If you don't want to wait a cycle to see the results, you can use the setting in the settings.csv file that modifies the time it takes to complete terraforming for the MUD. I think setting it to zero should result in immediate terraforming without any bugs.

Thank for the protip, will do next time I wanna test terraforming.

If you're willing to expand/rework the mod as I've briefly seen you mention in your station construction mod thread: I humbly suggest some kind of gravity stabilizer structure to counteract the effects of gravity hazards. I think it's highly plausible since it's already considered "probable" by science to manipulate it using electromagnetism. I know we can currently do it with a MUD through settings but that feels too cheap. Technically it would work the same as stellar shades/mirrors, but the effect would be instant, and of course it would have to keep running.
I've seen too many good habitable worlds ruined by high gravity already...

Same for tectonic activity, though that one hurts me a lot less in general.

Also, since I'm personally finding planet/colony management my favorite part of Starsector (in part thanks to your mod), I'd also like to ask: is there any hope of seeing extra functionality/compatibility for Unknown Skies (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12041.0)?

I decided not to add dedicated buildings for tectonic/gravity because it would be a non-default setting, and the amount of work required to implement those buildings would be very high relative to the number of players who would use them. I think the majority of players either would not enable tectonic/gravity terraforming due to the lorebreaking nature of those things, or they are satisfied with the MUD removing those conditions.

I already support Unknown Skies. If you see anything related to Unknown Skies that is unsupported, please let me know so I can add support.

Found an planet that is unsupported by the Miller-Urey Device that I believe is either part of Kadur Remnant or Vayra's Sector, it's Melek Taus in the Gehenna System and the tooltip for the device labels it as "vayra_bread".

Just wanted to give a heads up, love the mod!

I will issue a patch adding support for this planet shortly. Thank you for letting me know, and I'm glad you're enjoying my mods!

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 12, 2020, 11:31:25 AM »

Wait... Can water worlds spawn with it naturally? That seems like the best way to decide whether it should stay.

Yes.

Water worlds are part of cat_hab3, which by default have a 10% chance of having tectonics and a 1% chance of having extreme tectonics generated on them.
There is however an extra column in the table specifically for water worlds, but every entry for tectonics is blank. And I'm fairly sure that only non-blank entries here would override the cat3 data.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v4.0.2)
« Reply #304 on: March 12, 2020, 01:31:43 PM »

Thanks for confirming.

I don't know if it's an oversight or intentional, but I'm not it's really convinced that it's reasonable for tectonic activity to exist on water worlds due to the lore saying that they're all obscenely deep.
I think I'll just use the console to remove it from any water worlds I find.

redomer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2020, 04:56:12 AM »

I have a quesiton about the lobster quest. I didn't ask any questions in the intitial meeting but now it seem that I can't get the technology for the lobsters. Will there be subsequent quests or is that it?

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v4.0.0)
« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2020, 06:13:44 AM »

Auric planets are considered part of the terran group for the purposes of my mod. Therefore, they cannot be terraformed. I assigned it to this group based on the description of the planet, which indicates it can support life and says nothing about temperatures/hydrosphere. If auric planets always have hot or very hot temperatures, let me know and I will switch it to the desert category. Thanks!

From a while back, but just for confirmation....

Auric planets are tagged as cat_hab3, so are in the same class as arid/jungle/tundra/water etc. They have a single class override which makes them more common around blue stars, but are otherwise identical.

The temperature condidtions are largely controlled by the type of star the planet is orbiting, and how closely.
There are no overrides in cat_hab3 or US_auric that specify temperature.
Most Auric planets tend to have heat conditions solely because they tend to be found around blue stars, which are the hottest.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2020, 02:36:43 PM »

I have a quesiton about the lobster quest. I didn't ask any questions in the intitial meeting but now it seem that I can't get the technology for the lobsters. Will there be subsequent quests or is that it?

You need to ask questions in the bar otherwise the player never learns about the lobster connection, and can never activate the lobster seeding ability. If you don't want to reload an earlier save, you can disable the lobster quest in the settings file to immediately enable the lobster seeding ability.

Auric planets are considered part of the terran group for the purposes of my mod. Therefore, they cannot be terraformed. I assigned it to this group based on the description of the planet, which indicates it can support life and says nothing about temperatures/hydrosphere. If auric planets always have hot or very hot temperatures, let me know and I will switch it to the desert category. Thanks!

From a while back, but just for confirmation....

Auric planets are tagged as cat_hab3, so are in the same class as arid/jungle/tundra/water etc. They have a single class override which makes them more common around blue stars, but are otherwise identical.

The temperature condidtions are largely controlled by the type of star the planet is orbiting, and how closely.
There are no overrides in cat_hab3 or US_auric that specify temperature.
Most Auric planets tend to have heat conditions solely because they tend to be found around blue stars, which are the hottest.

Hmm, based on this information I think classifying auric planets as arid is probably the best option. I'll include this in the next patch. Thank you once again Serenitis for all your help!

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 14, 2020, 07:54:27 AM »

That is not a real issue, more like cosmetic imperfection. Each time I flyby those planets can't rid of thinking that the first has not enough shades and the second probably overshaded. And they are not the biggest and smallest object to colonize and build a shades/mirrors.

I am aware it is not that easy to procedurally change the number of objects and their position, but is it possible to change their size?
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 14, 2020, 09:37:27 AM »

That is not a real issue, more like cosmetic imperfection. Each time I flyby those planets can't rid of thinking that the first has not enough shades and the second probably overshaded. And they are not the biggest and smallest object to colonize and build a shades/mirrors.

I am aware it is not that easy to procedurally change the number of objects and their position, but is it possible to change their size?

I noticed this as well, but the stellar shades present in the vanilla game are all the same size. I think it's best to retain uniformity with the vanilla game shades rather than to size them based on the planet.

GeneralWaffles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 14, 2020, 03:59:46 PM »

Okay so I've probably missed it scouring through the posts, I guess I'm blind but do you know what modifiers are taken and or given to planets when terraforming?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 14, 2020, 04:03:09 PM »

Okay so I've probably missed it scouring through the posts, I guess I'm blind but do you know what modifiers are taken and or given to planets when terraforming?

You can see this information in the tooltips of the stellar reflectors and MUD. There are no negative effects/modifiers that occur as a result of terraforming, although planets can revert to a previous type if you scrap the stellar reflectors after terraforming is finished.

GeneralWaffles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 14, 2020, 04:06:57 PM »

You can see this information in the tooltips of the stellar reflectors and MUD. There are no negative effects/modifiers that occur as a result of terraforming, although planets can revert to a previous type if you scrap the stellar reflectors after terraforming is finished.

Okay thanks, I just wanted to know what i was in for when i invested my spess bitcoin into this

Bucket

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 15, 2020, 02:51:45 AM »

How the heck do I trigger the Lobster quest? Umbra in my playthrough is under the ownership of Blackrock and none of the bar contacts are triggering.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 15, 2020, 03:19:57 AM »

How the heck do I trigger the Lobster quest? Umbra in my playthrough is under the ownership of Blackrock and none of the bar contacts are triggering.

Have you tried fly away and then return to the Umbra with your transponder "OFF"?

Works for me.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24