Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod  (Read 126156 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v3.0.4)
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2020, 05:43:14 PM »

Terraforming is extremely costly, and resource intensive, you'll need milions of creds, which obviously makes sense, however, it could have so much more, if you increased the chance of having farmlands, but every time the planet changes it's class, has a chance to roll for a special status, such as gaining the ability to produce unique commodity items, similar to volturn grabs, but different, like unique Liquids, oils, plastics, Gases, crystals, unknown elements, drugs like Azure Dust, Psy-Fungus, SPICE , Resources exclusive to that planet, chances to uncover secrets previously not found by surveys, having a rare chance to create "beautiful vistas status" that increases the overall beauty of that planet, increasing tourism and growth, gaining access to a unique Resort building that improves accessibility and adds a large income from tourism
There are several existing mods which add conditions/features like that, and if I implement them too it will clash with those other mods (Unknown Skies being one of them).

Hmmm, what do you mean? when I terraform, say, Garnir, to a Water World or something, Unknown Skies will add a Water World Status to it?
the Vista Status could be something fully terraformed worlds could acquire after they fully terraform to a Terran, as a way to help recuperate some of the investments in the terraforming process the new Resort building chain could add a boost to income, growth and accessibility, and I have yet to see new resources types, such as new drugs and other commodities from that mod,  which other mods you are refering that change world generation? NEX? US?

Thanks again for your time boggled! I'll stay tuned to your mods, play test when needed!  ;)

Unknown Skies adds various fungi/drug related conditions to certain worlds during sector generation. There are some other mods which add buildings that improve accessibility and income. There is a limit of 12 structure/industry slots per colony so I don't want to add any more structures if I can avoid it because I want to leave space for buildings from other mods.

My mod handles adding/removing the "Water World" condition during terraforming, as well as farmland, organics, and various other conditions from the vanilla game.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »

I'd like to suggest the addition of "Mild Climate" which normally is a very rare condition to find on planets that have been terraformed, i was thinking of the following:

A planet that's been terraformed into an "earth-like" variation will have a chance of having mild climate if it follows these conditions:
1.- The can only start on planets with no negative conditions. (even most of those that cannot be removed by the mod)
2.- There has to be a stellar mirrors/shade set in place.
3.- Can only be done on earth-like type of planets.

After these conditions are satisfied, the process would start and the mirror/shade would have a counter of 3-4 cycles with no issues on the mirror/shades, after which the climate of the planet will be completely tamed and stabilized giving place for the "mild climate" buff to appear.

If for some reason, afterwards, the mirror/shade is damaged by raid or whatnot, the "mild climate" condition will be lost immediately, and the process will have to start from scratch.

I'm basing my suggestion on the following aspects for sake of balance:
1.- The MUD by itself is not enough to get you a mild climate.
2.- Using the mirror/shade for it instead of adding new buildings for the sake of clutter.
3.- Making the process of getting Mild Climate a long term reward, or at least longer term than most procedures on the mod.
4.- By taking some of the more permanent conditions into account (like gravity alterations or tectonic instability) it means that not every single planet will be elegible for the process.

------------------------------------

Hope this helps a little bit, if anything.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 11, 2020, 02:51:57 PM »

I'd like to suggest the addition of "Mild Climate" which normally is a very rare condition to find on planets that have been terraformed, i was thinking of the following:

A planet that's been terraformed into an "earth-like" variation will have a chance of having mild climate if it follows these conditions:
1.- The can only start on planets with no negative conditions. (even most of those that cannot be removed by the mod)

After these conditions are satisfied, the process would start and the mirror/shade would have a counter of 3-4 cycles with no issues on the mirror/shades, after which the climate of the planet will be completely tamed and stabilized giving place for the "mild climate" buff to appear.

If for some reason, afterwards, the mirror/shade is damaged by raid or whatnot, the "mild climate" condition will be lost immediately, and the process will have to start from scratch.

2.- Using the mirror/shade for it instead of adding new buildings for the sake of clutter.
3.- Making the process of getting Mild Climate a long term reward, or at least longer term than most procedures on the mod.
4.- By taking some of the more permanent conditions into account (like gravity alterations or tectonic instability) it means that not every single planet will be elegible for the process.

I want to find a way to work the mild climate condition into terraforming, but the problem with this suggestion is that players who haven't read this post will have no idea why some terraformed planets have a mild climate and others don't. If I include information about it in the tooltips, it will create a wall of text that people won't read, and if I don't people will be confused and think it's a bug.

It may be for the best not to implement mild climate at all so that the rare few planets that do have it remain special.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2020, 03:00:41 PM »

I want to find a way to work the mild climate condition into terraforming, but the problem with this suggestion is that players who haven't read this post will have no idea why some terraformed planets have a mild climate and others don't. If I include information about it in the tooltips, it will create a wall of text that people won't read, and if I don't people will be confused and think it's a bug.

It may be for the best not to implement mild climate at all so that the rare few planets that do have it remain special.

Sounds fair, oh well, it was worth the shot. :P

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2020, 05:02:12 PM »

So the "mild climate" thing got me thinking... what if there were different grades of MUDs?  With different effects and different drop rates?

Examples:

Gamma MUD - Does not terraform, but when applied to an already inhabitable world increases crop yield and organics by one level, until both are maxed.  If world is not inhabitable (read: barren, volcanic, gas, etc) it can remove pollution, biosphere or toxic atmosphere.  Very common, even with just probes (50% chance) and always found with tougher units (100% survey and mothership). 

Epsilon MUD - As above but removes one random hazard from the planet (pollution, biosphere, toxic, thin atmosphere or turn no atmosphere into thin atmosphere, radiation, tectonic activity, or reduce severe tectonic to regular) if no farming is possible or if farming & organics are already maxed out.  Drop rate 25% for probe or 75% for survey ship.

Delta MUD - As above plus terraforms one level towards perfect terran (similar to how Langley's terraforming works).  Subsequent applications on the same planet continues this path, and once it becomes habitable (desert, arid, tundra) it adds a level of organics and farming until maxed or planet becomes fully terran, whichever comes first.  10% for probe, 35% for survey, 100% for mothership.  If applied to an already terran world with no hazards it adds mild climate.

Beta MUD - As above but adds two levels of organics and farming and removes no atmosphere, thin, biosphere, pollution or toxic, if needed, all in the same pass.  Rare, only 20% from survey ship and 75% from mothership.  If applied to an already terran world it maxes out farming & organics and adds mild climate.

Alpha MUD - As above but maxes out organics and farming, removes all atmospheric hazards in one pass (thin, no atmosphere, pollution, biosphere and toxic).  Very rare, 5% from survey ship and 50% from mothership.  Can also be used to add mild climate to an already terran world, but that's kind of waste since a Beta MUD can do the same thing already.

Prime MUD - As above maxes and removes all hazards (including radiation, tectonics, etc).  Also changes gravity to normal and makes climate mild.  Can be used on gas giants but does not terraform, instead simply removes all hazards (habitability goes to 100%).  25% chance from mothership only.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 05:04:21 PM by NephilimNexus »

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2020, 07:31:27 PM »

Prime MUD - As above maxes and removes all hazards (including radiation, tectonics, etc).  Also changes gravity to normal and makes climate mild.  Can be used on gas giants but does not terraform, instead simply removes all hazards (habitability goes to 100%).  25% chance from mothership only.

I would actually only vote for this one for the sake of not having way too many new items, sort of a "improved" or "perfected" mud or "Murray Uriel's Device" or whatever.

Since in vanilla conditions there can only be a single mothership i would say it would have to be a 100% drop from motherships only since, in theory, you could only get a SINGLE one if this suggestion were to be taken. (i don't remember if it's the case in vanilla having only one mothership, if it's not the case then nevermind what i just said.)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2020, 03:42:54 PM »

I would actually only vote for this one for the sake of not having way too many new items, sort of a "improved" or "perfected" mud or "Murray Uriel's Device" or whatever.

Since in vanilla conditions there can only be a single mothership i would say it would have to be a 100% drop from motherships only since, in theory, you could only get a SINGLE one if this suggestion were to be taken. (i don't remember if it's the case in vanilla having only one mothership, if it's not the case then nevermind what i just said.)

Vanilla has two motherships with default sector generation settings. There's also a 35% chance to drop a MUD from survey ships, of which there are something like 6-10 in a default sector (see the post where Serenitis breaks this down).

So the "mild climate" thing got me thinking... what if there were different grades of MUDs?  With different effects and different drop rates?

Examples:

Gamma MUD - Does not terraform, but when applied to an already inhabitable world increases crop yield and organics by one level, until both are maxed.  If world is not inhabitable (read: barren, volcanic, gas, etc) it can remove pollution, biosphere or toxic atmosphere.  Very common, even with just probes (50% chance) and always found with tougher units (100% survey and mothership). 

Epsilon MUD - As above but removes one random hazard from the planet (pollution, biosphere, toxic, thin atmosphere or turn no atmosphere into thin atmosphere, radiation, tectonic activity, or reduce severe tectonic to regular) if no farming is possible or if farming & organics are already maxed out.  Drop rate 25% for probe or 75% for survey ship.

Delta MUD - As above plus terraforms one level towards perfect terran (similar to how Langley's terraforming works).  Subsequent applications on the same planet continues this path, and once it becomes habitable (desert, arid, tundra) it adds a level of organics and farming until maxed or planet becomes fully terran, whichever comes first.  10% for probe, 35% for survey, 100% for mothership.  If applied to an already terran world with no hazards it adds mild climate.

Beta MUD - As above but adds two levels of organics and farming and removes no atmosphere, thin, biosphere, pollution or toxic, if needed, all in the same pass.  Rare, only 20% from survey ship and 75% from mothership.  If applied to an already terran world it maxes out farming & organics and adds mild climate.

Alpha MUD - As above but maxes out organics and farming, removes all atmospheric hazards in one pass (thin, no atmosphere, pollution, biosphere and toxic).  Very rare, 5% from survey ship and 50% from mothership.  Can also be used to add mild climate to an already terran world, but that's kind of waste since a Beta MUD can do the same thing already.

I definitely don't want to add a whole bunch of items that do almost the same thing. Having just the single version of the MUD that currently exists results in confusion related to drop rates and functionality. Can you imagine if there were 5-10 different versions? How would I inform the player about the subtle differences between MUD types? A wall of text in the tooltip?

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2020, 04:38:42 PM »

We already have three types of AI core, so what's the real issue?  Maybe six is too many, but surely three wouldn't be.  Condense it down to normal, lesser and greater.

Lesser - just removes hazards on lifeless worlds, or adds green to others.
Normal - as now.
Greater - terraforms and removes hazards at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:41:07 PM by NephilimNexus »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2020, 04:56:42 PM »

We already have three types of AI core, so what's the real issue?  Maybe six is too many, but surely three wouldn't be.  Condense it down to normal, lesser and greater.

Lesser - just removes hazards on lifeless worlds, or adds green to others.
Normal - as now.
Greater - terraforms and removes hazards at the same time.

Even if I ignore the complexity issues with increasing the variants of the MUD from one to three, what does having these different versions of the MUD really add to the gameplay experience? Would the mod be substantially better and more fun to use with three versions of the MUD instead of one? Contrast that with adding a story quest to unlock adding Volturnian lobsters to a planet.

Coconutsales

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2020, 06:24:21 PM »

3 suggestions to note in this post (Barren blank-slate terraforming, expanded permanent structures, and detrimental terraforming options)

1) Barren Terraforming from a blank slate
Hauling gas from toxic / gas giants to barren worlds alongside a drone station to pull mass to the planets (if small, for the atmosphere to take hold)

Toxic planets are slower and cheaper than importing atmosphere from gas giants, but the gas giant method is more expensive and quicker. Perhaps hauling from toxic planets requires at least a corrupted nanoforge? (Pristine makes the process a little faster, just like in terraforming a toxic planet)

2) Unknown Skies adds a few interesting oddities (artificial floating continents on gas giants to improve accessibility and hazard rating, space elevators with improve accessibility and growth, and crashed terraforming drones on desert / arid / dusty / thin atmos planets which give some basic farmland, and improves growth and improves hazard rating [ALL OF WHICH have diminishing enhancements as population grows]) which gave me the inspiration for this one.

Basically the ability to build upgrade-able* structures that help improve certain conditions that terraforming alone can't exactly improve. Another idea (different from the Unknown Skies recommendations) include greenhouses > biodome for smallscale farming buffs

3) Detrimental terraforming, to destroy markets or ruin habitability of your enemies planets. Perhaps magnetic plasma-slinging from the system's stars (like the water mass-drivers for positive terraforming) to turn planets molten, planet-cracking drones to cause tectonic stress, or dirty bombs to cause radiation.

* tiered like orbital stations, perhaps even quality levels ie Low Tech > High Tech if you want, for fancier additions

McMuster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 14, 2020, 08:04:42 AM »

Ismara's Sling
Giant mass drivers that can launch water from cryovolcanic, frozen and water planets to desert planets that need more water to be terraformed.
The name comes from Ismara orbiting Penelope's Star in the vanilla sector where Eridani-Utopia built these to terraform the desert planet Ithaca.

Suggestion: Change this to something more general, like "Mass Driver Array" as the description of the Penelope's star project implies that this sort of operation was business as usual for Domain era terraforming conglomerates.

If you're capable of building a mass driver complex it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't be able to get more general use out of it, an elctromagnetic sling is an electromagnetic sling. You'd be able to launch fluids, gas and cargo with it, or at least figure out how to build one that can.

This means the building could be used for getting rid of the dense atmosphere market condition on worlds and removing no/thin atmosphere conditions on other worlds. This is a proposed method of terraforming venus and mars simultaneously in our own solar system.

Making this the add/subtract atmosphere building would also help differentiate it from the drone nexus. Adding a accessibility buff to the building would also set it apart and reflect the cargo/commerce applications of mass drivers

This makes it so the mod has systems in place to adjust the 3 pillars of terraforming. Atmosphere, Water, Temperature. Which means you could link the buildings to the changing market conditions (hot, extreme hot, cold, water covered surface, etc) and have the planet type change if the conditions have been met long enough rather than what buildings have been used. After all, shading a desert world wouldn't make it into a wet terran world, it'd just make it a cooler desert world.

This would also give you more flexibility and allow the introduction of chance in the terraforming process.

Start - Extremely hot, no-atmosphere barren world: Shade->Hot, Mass Driver->thin Atmosphere->Normal Atmosphere, Drone Nexus->Water
Possible Results - Desert World(75%), Terran Eccentric(20%), Terran(5%) (could include unknown skies worlds)
Possible chance-based conditions added upon planet-type change: Habitable, Mild Climate, Inimical Biosphere, Extreme Weather, Water Covered Surface, Toxic Atmosphere, Pollution. (could include unknown skies conditions)
Terraforming is playing god, and the mod sort of implies that we're just slapping old schematics together without much consideration or research done beforehand so unanticipated consequences would make for nice flavor, reflect the massively complicated nature of terraforming and fit with the theme of the other terraformed planets in the sector (only a few turned out 100% nice), though negative effects would have to be balanced so that doing the projects are still a net gain for the habitability of the world.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:32:32 AM by McMuster »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2020, 03:26:00 PM »

Ismara's Sling
Giant mass drivers that can launch water from cryovolcanic, frozen and water planets to desert planets that need more water to be terraformed.
The name comes from Ismara orbiting Penelope's Star in the vanilla sector where Eridani-Utopia built these to terraform the desert planet Ithaca.

Suggestion: Change this to something more general, like "Mass Driver Array" as the description of the Penelope's star project implies that this sort of operation was business as usual for Domain era terraforming conglomerates.

If you're capable of building a mass driver complex it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't be able to get more general use out of it, an elctromagnetic sling is an electromagnetic sling. You'd be able to launch fluids, gas and cargo with it, or at least figure out how to build one that can.

This means the building could be used for getting rid of the dense atmosphere market condition on worlds and removing no/thin atmosphere conditions on other worlds. This is a proposed method of terraforming venus and mars simultaneously in our own solar system.

Making this the add/subtract atmosphere building would also help differentiate it from the drone nexus. Adding a accessibility buff to the building would also set it apart and reflect the cargo/commerce applications of mass drivers

This makes it so the mod has systems in place to adjust the 3 pillars of terraforming. Atmosphere, Water, Temperature. Which means you could link the buildings to the changing market conditions (hot, extreme hot, cold, water covered surface, etc) and have the planet type change if the conditions have been met long enough rather than what buildings have been used. After all, shading a desert world wouldn't make it into a wet terran world, it'd just make it a cooler desert world.

This would also give you more flexibility and allow the introduction of chance in the terraforming process.

Start - Extremely hot, no-atmosphere barren world: Shade->Hot, Mass Driver->thin Atmosphere->Normal Atmosphere, Drone Nexus->Water
Possible Results - Desert World(75%), Terran Eccentric(20%), Terran(5%) (could include unknown skies worlds)
Possible chance-based conditions added upon planet-type change: Habitable, Mild Climate, Inimical Biosphere, Extreme Weather, Water Covered Surface, Toxic Atmosphere, Pollution. (could include unknown skies conditions)
Terraforming is playing god, and the mod sort of implies that we're just slapping old schematics together without much consideration or research done beforehand so unanticipated consequences would make for nice flavor, reflect the massively complicated nature of terraforming and fit with the theme of the other terraformed planets in the sector (only a few turned out 100% nice), though negative effects would have to be balanced so that doing the projects are still a net gain for the habitability of the world.

I really like this method/system of terraforming and I want to implement something like it in the future. My main problem right now is the lack of planet textures - I can't show planets that are in the intermediate stages of terraforming. There's a game called Stars in Shadow that I looted some artwork from previously (because the artwork is so good), and the devs of that game say there's a big terraforming update coming that will include planets in an intermediate stage of terraforming. When they release that update, I'm going to try to swipe their planet textures and implement a system very similar to what you described above in my mod.

What I don't want to do is have random probabilities of the end result of terraforming. I'll have to find some way to incorporate multiple planet types as the "end goal" of terraforming.

If I do end up getting around to implementing the above system, I will change the name of Ismara's Sling.

3 suggestions to note in this post (Barren blank-slate terraforming, expanded permanent structures, and detrimental terraforming options)

1) Barren Terraforming from a blank slate
Hauling gas from toxic / gas giants to barren worlds alongside a drone station to pull mass to the planets (if small, for the atmosphere to take hold)

Toxic planets are slower and cheaper than importing atmosphere from gas giants, but the gas giant method is more expensive and quicker. Perhaps hauling from toxic planets requires at least a corrupted nanoforge? (Pristine makes the process a little faster, just like in terraforming a toxic planet)

2) Unknown Skies adds a few interesting oddities (artificial floating continents on gas giants to improve accessibility and hazard rating, space elevators with improve accessibility and growth, and crashed terraforming drones on desert / arid / dusty / thin atmos planets which give some basic farmland, and improves growth and improves hazard rating [ALL OF WHICH have diminishing enhancements as population grows]) which gave me the inspiration for this one.

Basically the ability to build upgrade-able* structures that help improve certain conditions that terraforming alone can't exactly improve. Another idea (different from the Unknown Skies recommendations) include greenhouses > biodome for smallscale farming buffs

3) Detrimental terraforming, to destroy markets or ruin habitability of your enemies planets. Perhaps magnetic plasma-slinging from the system's stars (like the water mass-drivers for positive terraforming) to turn planets molten, planet-cracking drones to cause tectonic stress, or dirty bombs to cause radiation.

* tiered like orbital stations, perhaps even quality levels ie Low Tech > High Tech if you want, for fancier additions

My comment above addresses your first point.

As far as crashed terraforming drones go, I don't want to just duplicate the functionality of the condition from US. Perhaps once I rework the terraforming system, I will change the MUD to be similar to the crashed terraforming drone condition: it will only effect a small portion of the planet.

Detrimental terraforming as a weapon against hostile factions seems difficult to implement properly, as if you have the large amount of resources necessary to detrimentally terraform a planet, why not just invade it and take it over? This feature sort of exists in the vanilla game as you can bombard planets to introduce pollution.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2020, 03:16:44 PM »

Great mod. A little thing which is totally minor - after frozen world is terraformed to water world using stellar mirror industry list have farming instead of aquaculture.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 15, 2020, 03:39:59 PM »

Great mod. A little thing which is totally minor - after frozen world is terraformed to water world using stellar mirror industry list have farming instead of aquaculture.

Yeah, this bug is back because of the new terraforming method. I don't know how to fix it permanently without the API additions coming in the next version of Starsector, but I will add something to help mitigate it in the next update of this mod. Sorry!

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2020, 03:19:17 AM »

I'd like to propose an (probably not very good) but straightforward solution to the MUD not having a variety as it currently stands, at least while the whole "different textures" thing comes into a reality:

Spoiler
The idea is to have several versions of the MUD, yes, i know this has been said before, and yes, i know the issues this can bring up, but i think it can work better if it's done in the following way:

Make a MUD for each "earth-like" type of planet which are named accordingly, so for example, our current MUD would be renamed as "Miller Urey Device (Terran)" to imply on the title that it makes a terraforms into a terran planet without the need of a giant wall of text. Similarly we could have the followings:

-Miller Urey Device (Terran)
-Miller Urey Device (Eccentric)
-Miller Urey Device (Jungle)
-Miller Urey Device (Tundra)
With Unknown Skies:
-Miller Urey Device (Archipelago)
-Miller Urey Device (Continental)

Notes:
-Drop rate and spawning mechanics of these items would be the same, but they would become a "pool" rather than a singular item in which you can get a random MUD type from survey/motherships.
-MUDs of different types can be used to any other planet types even if they are "earth-like" already, so if you want to turn your terran planet into a continental just for the looks, you could do that. (process would still take the same amount of time as it usually is.)
-From the titles alone you can infer quickly what you're gonna get from your MUD, so the issue of a wall of text in the description or people not getting what it does shouldn't be a problem.
-Each MUD would hold a significantly greater value in a playthrough since there are several types and would make getting the type of planet you want a greater quest.

The issue this tries to address, to an extent, the lack of variety on perfectly terraformed planets, while the MUD isn't the only terraforming tool and while also doing the texture replacement would be a better deal in the future, this could be used in the meantime if said method seems like a long shot.

Also i don't know the process of modding, so in the end this might actually be a way more convoluted or harder to program solution than it might seem, in which case then nevermind.
[close]
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24