Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod  (Read 126287 times)

Sayak

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v3.0.4)
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2020, 05:48:47 PM »

I have found out that Miller-Urey are quite easy to get... almost too easy for what they do.

Donahue

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2020, 05:20:42 AM »

I have found out that Miller-Urey are quite easy to get... almost too easy for what they do.

I beg to differ.  If you don't like to use it, then sell it.

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2020, 09:30:25 AM »

Challenges for achieving progression are the core of fun gameplay for the vast majority of individuals.
It is quite a poor suggestion to pretende the existence of a challenge.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:29:28 AM by sqrt(-1) »

Doomrider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2020, 01:44:40 PM »

I've surveyed 2/3 of the Sector and haven't found a single one. Guess some of my mods (probably Nex or Vayra) srcew up with this mod's adding new item to a loot list.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2020, 02:43:52 PM »

I've surveyed 2/3 of the Sector and haven't found a single one. Guess some of my mods (probably Nex or Vayra) srcew up with this mod's adding new item to a loot list.

Challenges for achieving progression are the core of fun gameplay for the vast majority of individuals.
It is quite a poor suggestion to pretende the existence of a challenge.

Domain motherships have a 100% chance to drop one and survey ships have a 35% chance to drop one. There's only a handful in the Sector so they shouldn't be all that plentiful unless you have a mod that changes drop rates or increases the number of domain ships. Vanilla Sector generation will only provide the player with about 4-6 of them depending on how lucky the player is.

The Ismara's Sling doesn't terraform worlds by itself! You need to build stellar reflectors around the world you want to terraform, then the sling will be able to send water to complete the terraforming process.
Is it possible to have the Sling grayed out (disabled) until the reflectors are built?

This seems like a great idea. I will implement this in the next patch!

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2020, 02:47:24 PM »

Quick question:

If you apply a MUD on Volturn, or a planet with a similarly special condition, does it lose that special condition after the terraforming is done?

Thanks.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2020, 04:52:13 PM »

Quick question:

If you apply a MUD on Volturn, or a planet with a similarly special condition, does it lose that special condition after the terraforming is done?

Thanks.

No. Terraforming does not remove Volturian lobsters, the cryogenics facility on Nomios, or any other special conditions or structures. Also, Ismara's Sling will be grandfathered in if you happen to build it before using the MUD.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »

Quick question:

Thanks.

No. Terraforming does not remove Volturian lobsters, the cryogenics facility on Nomios, or any other special conditions or structures. Also, Ismara's Sling will be grandfathered in if you happen to build it before using the MUD.

Alright, thanks! :)

Doomrider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »

Domain motherships have a 100% chance to drop one and survey ships have a 35% chance to drop one. There's only a handful in the Sector so they shouldn't be all that plentiful unless you have a mod that changes drop rates or increases the number of domain ships. Vanilla Sector generation will only provide the player with about 4-6 of them depending on how lucky the player is.

I had salavaged few dozens of survey ships and hadn't found a single one. Again I higly suspect it's incompatibility with some other mod.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »

I had salavaged few dozens of survey ships and hadn't found a single one. Again I higly suspect it's incompatibility with some other mod.

Take down a mothership and you'll know for certain if it's bad luck or incompatibility, cuz it's a 100% from those.

Doomrider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »

Take down a mothership and you'll know for certain if it's bad luck or incompatibility, cuz it's a 100% from those.
OK, i just surveyed the remaining quarter of my sector, found two motherships and seven survey ships, and now I have 10 MUDs. Turns out it was crazy bad luck.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2020, 12:07:17 PM »

I'd like to make a suggestion:

I was thinking about making the world affected by the MUD have a random chance of either being a Terran or Terran Eccentric (in vanilla) or archipelago or continental (with unknown skies) when the terraforming process is complete, which are relatively "earth like" worlds.

The effects on conditions and whatnot would remain the same, it's just the world type what i suggest would be randomized. I'm suggesting this for variety sake and to add an element of randomness to the device.

Thanks! :)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »

I'd like to make a suggestion:

I was thinking about making the world affected by the MUD have a random chance of either being a Terran or Terran Eccentric (in vanilla) or archipelago or continental (with unknown skies) when the terraforming process is complete, which are relatively "earth like" worlds.

The effects on conditions and whatnot would remain the same, it's just the world type what i suggest would be randomized. I'm suggesting this for variety sake and to add an element of randomness to the device.

Thanks! :)

I've considered this, but I'm concerned that the mod is already very complex and adding more complexity in the form of random planet transformations is probably not a good idea right now.

Something I can look at is using different textures/graphics/etc randomly so that all planets have a slightly different appearance after terraforming. The problem is that I would have to steal the textures from other mods because I'm not much of an artist. I have no problem copying code from other mods, but stealing their artwork is probably not OK. Maybe I can find some way to autogenerate planet textures with something like DeepDream.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2020, 04:31:43 PM »

I've considered this, but I'm concerned that the mod is already very complex and adding more complexity in the form of random planet transformations is probably not a good idea right now.

Something I can look at is using different textures/graphics/etc randomly so that all planets have a slightly different appearance after terraforming. The problem is that I would have to steal the textures from other mods because I'm not much of an artist. I have no problem copying code from other mods, but stealing their artwork is probably not OK. Maybe I can find some way to autogenerate planet textures with something like DeepDream.

Alrighty, i'm sure something will pop up eventually that will be to your liking.  ;D

thx for the response!

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2020, 05:58:16 PM »

What type of textures are used for planets? If it is a standard texture wrapped around a sphere, then perhaps these might be of use (all some form of Creative Commons license):
https://opengameart.org/content/planets-terran
https://opengameart.org/content/terraformed-mars-map
https://opengameart.org/content/planetary-textures-2048x1024
https://opengameart.org/content/far-colony-epsilon-eridani-planets-4k-surface-maps-complete-and-fixed
https://opengameart.org/content/10-terrestrial-planet-wrapping-textures

Additionally, that uploader of that last one says that they made the textures using their free tool: http://www.texturesforplanets.com/
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24