Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod  (Read 126177 times)

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v2.1.2)
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2019, 06:53:33 AM »

I was joking.  Anyway, a question that I ask of all terraforming mods:  Does this create usable farmland when a world becomes more habitable?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2019, 07:20:00 AM »

I was joking.  Anyway, a question that I ask of all terraforming mods:  Does this create usable farmland when a world becomes more habitable?

Yes (if it changes planet type to terran).

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »

Awesome!

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2019, 12:23:40 PM »

I might be wrong about this, so take it with a pinch of salt etc...

DerelictThemeGenerator.java controls how many motherships are in the sector, and in turn that controls how many other domain derelicts theres are.
And it seems to be heavily dependant on the size of the sector generated, and it's age.
You're guaranteed to get at least 1 mothership in any sector. And if I'm reading it right (if) it looks like there's a hard cap of 3 if the expression returns higher than that.

Each mothership can trigger the generation of 1-3 survey ships.
And each survey ship can trigger the generation of 2-5 probes. (1-3 probes can also be added 'randomly' to a system.)

Minimum possible generation of derelicts: 1M + 1S + 2P
2 terraforming drops is probably acceptable given the huge deal they are.

Maximum possible generation of derelicts: 3M + 9S + 45P
11 terraforming drops seems somewhat excessive, and possibly trivialises the item and the process.
Why would you bother with expensive shades etc. when you can just hit up a domain wreck for one of these?

Based on this, would it be out of line to suggest that only motherships are guaranteed drops, and survey ships get a tiny chance (if any) to drop the terraforming doodad?

Valikdu

• Lieutenant
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2019, 12:54:41 PM »

Maybe instead of reducing the number of GECKs, extra steps and expenditures could be added for turning any planet to a terran? Like, currently the GECK just makes any planet terran in one step, but maybe it could just be used for turning a hostile planet (volcanic/toxic/irradiated) into a barren one, and then there would be these extra steps for making it better for life, using new structure and abilities in addition to the existing mirrors/shades/slings.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:57:41 PM by Valikdu »
My Dwarf Fortress Mod: DESOLATION 1.5
My Channel: V. S. Cosplay

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2019, 02:35:38 PM »

I might be wrong about this, so take it with a pinch of salt etc...

DerelictThemeGenerator.java controls how many motherships are in the sector, and in turn that controls how many other domain derelicts theres are.
And it seems to be heavily dependant on the size of the sector generated, and it's age.
You're guaranteed to get at least 1 mothership in any sector. And if I'm reading it right (if) it looks like there's a hard cap of 3 if the expression returns higher than that.

Each mothership can trigger the generation of 1-3 survey ships.
And each survey ship can trigger the generation of 2-5 probes. (1-3 probes can also be added 'randomly' to a system.)

Minimum possible generation of derelicts: 1M + 1S + 2P
2 terraforming drops is probably acceptable given the huge deal they are.

Maximum possible generation of derelicts: 3M + 9S + 45P
11 terraforming drops seems somewhat excessive, and possibly trivialises the item and the process.
Why would you bother with expensive shades etc. when you can just hit up a domain wreck for one of these?

Based on this, would it be out of line to suggest that only motherships are guaranteed drops, and survey ships get a tiny chance (if any) to drop the terraforming doodad?

I think the ideal amount of drops for a normal sized sector is probably 4-5. I'll issue an update soon that gives survey ships a reduced drop rate. You really know a lot about the inner workings of Starsector. Thanks for your help!

Maybe instead of reducing the number of GECKs, extra steps and expenditures could be added for turning any planet to a terran? Like, currently the GECK just makes any planet terran in one step, but maybe it could just be used for turning a hostile planet (volcanic/toxic/irradiated) into a barren one, and then there would be these extra steps for making it better for life, using new structure and abilities in addition to the existing mirrors/shades/slings.

I like this idea personally but I don't want to introduce too much complexity as that leads to bugs and player confusion. I'm also limited by availability of artwork that fits with the Starsector style as I'm a terrible artist myself.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2019, 03:55:29 AM »

You really know a lot about the inner workings of Starsector. Thanks for your help!
Although I would like to be able to claim such extensive knowledge to puff up my own importance, I am just vaguely competant/persistant at digging through data.
Credit should go to Alex for creating code that isn't literal spaghetti.

I like this idea personally but I don't want to introduce too much complexity as that leads to bugs and player confusion. I'm also limited by availability of artwork that fits with the Starsector style as I'm a terrible artist myself.
Less complexity is good.
But I do wonder if the multiple stages thing might be useful.
Rather than have the player interact with it constantly throughout the process via industries, have it run through the stages of terraforming the planet on its own. Each 'stage' improves 1 aspect of the planet and notifies the player, so there's constant feedback.

[e]
My artistic abilities are.... limited to say the least. But I threw this together using some of the unused artwork in the game files:

If it doesn't appeal to you, hopefully it might inspire something else that does.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 05:05:44 AM by Serenitis »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2019, 05:01:24 AM »

You really know a lot about the inner workings of Starsector. Thanks for your help!
Although I would like to be able to claim such extensive knowledge to puff up my own importance, I am just vaguely competant/persistant at digging through data.
Credit should go to Alex for creating code that isn't literal spaghetti.

Less complexity is good.
But I do wonder if the multiple stages thing might be useful.
Rather than have the player interact with it constantly throughout the process via industries, have it run through the stages of terraforming the planet on its own. Each 'stage' improves 1 aspect of the planet and notifies the player, so there's constant feedback.

[e]
My artistic abilities are.... limited to say the least. But I threw this together using some of the unused artwork in the game files:

If it doesn't appeal to you, hopefully it might inspire something else that does.

I actually think that is great! Since you created the art, I will let you choose the new name of the device if you want. Please let me know if you have a preference!

Danku-Chan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2019, 08:35:30 PM »

Have you considered adding a structure that can remove pollution? You might be able to add two structures for this actually.
I'm thinking perhaps "Ecological Safe-Zones" where nature is left to clean up after us, but this requires vast amounts of land, cutting your colony's exports a bit.
And the other, more expensive brute force solution, just massive recycling facilities. These could either take up an industry slot, or just be absurdly expensive.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2019, 04:39:33 AM »

Have you considered adding a structure that can remove pollution? You might be able to add two structures for this actually.
I'm thinking perhaps "Ecological Safe-Zones" where nature is left to clean up after us, but this requires vast amounts of land, cutting your colony's exports a bit.
And the other, more expensive brute force solution, just massive recycling facilities. These could either take up an industry slot, or just be absurdly expensive.

The (soon to be renamed) E.U.T.E.C.K. does clean up pollution as part of the terraforming process. Based on the description of on the pollution condition, it implies that there is widespread contamination of the environment with toxic industrial chemicals and radioactive particles. I don't think that could be cleaned up by creating nature preserves or using real world methods of cleaning up pollution like recycling.

SparraNova

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2019, 04:43:38 AM »

Eh, a massive-scale recyclying plant sounds more like an upgrade (sidegrade?) to tech-mining that salvages a steady amount of basic resources in addition to the random stuff from tech mining while migitating pollution somewhat. Actually brute-forcing pollution seems like it would be more along the lines of some sort of massive-scale chemical draining and dumping network for dumping all the toxic waste into one big pit (presumably with a huge operating price what with running enormous planetary pipelines for carting around corrosive radioactive toxic *** that glows in the dark), perhaps it would count as an industry until it's done pumping all the waste into one area, at which point it would be 'upgraded' into a passive structure (all the pipelines being shut down so it's just the mega waste dump)?

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2019, 11:01:34 AM »

I actually think that is great! Since you created the art, I will let you choose the new name of the device if you want. Please let me know if you have a preference!

That's awfully kind. But whatever you choose to name it will be fine.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v2.2.0)
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2019, 07:21:45 AM »

Could you please check if this crash related to your mod?
Got it on ICE Giant (unsurveyed) visit; first time getting this, and right after updating to 2.2 of this mod.

Spoiler
4086104 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.A.new.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.A.new.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.String.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.P.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.oOOo.addIconFor(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.oOOo.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2$9.public.float(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2$9.beforeShown(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.C.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

Does the crash occur 100% of the time when you approach any ice giant, or just one in particular? Does the crash occur if you start a new game without my mod active and fly to an ice giant? Do you have other mods installed?

It appears the crash log doesn't reference anything related to my mod. If the crash only happens when my mod is active, please let me know and I can look into this further.

Kulverstukass

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2019, 10:20:28 AM »

Does the crash occur 100% of the time when you approach any ice giant, or just one in particular? Does the crash occur if you start a new game without my mod active and fly to an ice giant? Do you have other mods installed?

It appears the crash log doesn't reference anything related to my mod. If the crash only happens when my mod is active, please let me know and I can look into this further.
Haven't happened ever after, same planet or different, never had such crash before (& before added your mods).
I'm gonna assume that game borked for a moment, as it happened when my fleet dropped from hyperspace and bounty fleet orbiting said ice giant went towards me, all before that fading animation from switching "playfields" finished.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:17:56 AM by Kulverstukass »
Buckle up for broken english vocabulary, comrade!

Codyrex123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »

I installed this in the middle of a save so thats almost certainly it, but I'd thought I might as well show this off as maybe a thing that could be prepared for?
Its only for that specific device (The one to heat up the planet), the solar shade says the planet is too cold like it should.

Spoiler
[close]

Otherwise, enjoying your mod greatly! I'm personally on the fence about limiting the amount of items the player can get a hold of in the sector, I don't really like it, even if it fits with the lore, so I'd like a way to get them once you've fully explored a given sector. I'd suggest through a special event in the dockside bar or something for a very high price or something.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24