Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multiplayer Aspect Discussion.  (Read 9911 times)

Dr.Noid

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer Aspect Discussion.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 01:23:54 AM »

The hard thing about multiplayer does not have much to do with the language used. Java is just fine for that. The problem with multiplayer is synchronisation. You've got two (or more) simulations running on different machines on different sides of the planet, and you have to make sure they are in exactly the same state. The wiring needed for that goes through the entire program and is not something that is easy to add afterwards. Especially for a game where quick response is important.

Psygnosis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 03:16:19 AM »

In short, it's just not going to happen Smiley

:< damn.

Not even a co-op mode.

Please, even something so simple as cortex commands "local only, gamepads + 1 mouse and keyboard" Split screen.

Whelp this is certainly depressing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:58:20 AM by Psygnosis »

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 02:52:41 PM »

The hard thing about multiplayer does not have much to do with the language used. Java is just fine for that. The problem with multiplayer is synchronization. You've got two (or more) simulations running on different machines on different sides of the planet, and you have to make sure they are in exactly the same state. The wiring needed for that goes through the entire program and is not something that is easy to add afterwards. Especially for a game where quick response is important.
Synchronization is not a problem, when peer to peer multiplayer used.
And as far as my knowledge in programming language goes (and it goes far), implementing multiplayer in Java or C# written software is much easier then doing it with C, C++, Python, ASM, etc.
Anyway lets give Alex to focus on finishing Starfarer. And when it will be finished completely, Alex will understand that something is definitely missing in Starfarer's main menu :)

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

Dr.Noid

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 01:32:08 AM »

Nowadays everybody is behind a NAT box, making peer-to-peer a pain in the behind. But in my experience with building mp games, even with p2p networking synchronisation is far from trivial, especially if you want to do it in a way that is not prone to cheating.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 06:15:29 AM »

im somewhere in the middle of the two groups here:
no multiplayer and yay multiplayer lets go nuts.

the ONLY way i could ever see MP working from a gameplay standing  would be straight up co-op. For individual missions the TWO players pick which of the ship lineup they would want if they pick the same ship dice roll/coin flip handled BY THE GAME ITSELF. in the case of single ship missions IE the one with the lone paragon ) i cannot bloody remember the name of it) that mission simply is not available for co-op. for campaign co-op your fleet starts with 2 starter ships one is player 1's flagship and one is player 2's flagship. when one is brought into combat they are both brought in for their costs. possibly to offset that everything in co-op is doubled, size of AI fleets, cost of ships, fleet points. pausing the game to give out orders could be relatively simple every battle the seat of the "commander" switches from player to player for example player 1 has initial control of the movements on campaign map and in battle he gives orders then after that battle player 2 would become the "commander" and takes over the same controls. Also any kind of matchmaking simple won't work outside of missions and even then.. it would have to be pretty much just friends playing co-op mode. but even if MP never gets in not even by a modder i will still be extremely satisfied with my purchase :D
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

CenturionGMU

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 08:44:48 AM »

The whole pausing and identifying strategies system would break in a multiplayer system.

And you think chasing a slightly smaller pirate fleet around the galaxy is annoying wait until you've been chased all over by a giant troll fleet. MP, while a noble idea for this game, just wouldn't work.

Yamal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »

Im against multiplayer in most SP games, since most of the games that tries too do both usually fails pretty hard on atleast 1(quite often 2). I rather have a good experience "alone" than a bad one with friends lol :)

Some1 used morrowind as example, it just made the game worse imo, i see no reason too diminish my Sp experience too have a tacked on MP.

Feel free too prove me wrong though ;)
Pages: 1 [2]