Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you catch up to fleets running?  (Read 1786 times)

austematic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How do you catch up to fleets running?
« on: October 23, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »

Everytime I have a bounty contract I fly close to the fleet then they engage emergency burn and run away and it's impossible to get anywhere near them. How do I catch up to them? is there a mod I can use to make them stop???

spitnik11

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: How do you catch up to fleets running?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »

If they run it generally means your fleet is superior or has higher cr. When you spot them on your screen go dark and creep up on them, if they fly towards you stay still and they should come closer. once they're close enough hit emergency burn and engage.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »

Tips:
  • Pirate fleets have a cooldown for emergency burn the same way you do
  • If you drop enough cargo pirates will often investigate
  • You can drastically decrease the range at which fleets can detect you by going dark and using terrain
  • Hold the S key to stop or move slowly enough to gain the benefits of terrain that requires slow movement
  • The speed of your fleet is primarily determined by the ship with the lowest burn level
  • The interdiction pulse ability can be used to interrupt emergency burn and sustained burn
  • It's easier to catch fleets that are headed your way. You can often arrange for that to happen

DrPhat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 04:04:32 PM »

Get your fleet to burn 20 capability. Approach your target until they e burn. Wait a few seconds. Engage sustained burn and head in the direction they went. They will be sitting ducks. With practice you can catch any fleet this way. Timing is everything here. Also destroy any nav bouy that are in the system.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 04:20:24 PM »

Everytime I have a bounty contract I fly close to the fleet then they engage emergency burn and run away and it's impossible to get anywhere near them. How do I catch up to them? is there a mod I can use to make them stop???

If you have a higher burn speed:
Approach until they emergency burn. They'll wiggle around keeping out of reach until E-Burn runs out. The moment E-Burn runs out, you just sustained burn directly past them. Don't click on the fleet to follow it - manually burn past them. If you don't approach from an angle they'll try to fleet in a direct line away from you, and you'll catch them before their E-burn comes off cooldown. The moment your fleet's ring touches theirs, click on their fleet to instantly intercept. Use pause liberally wherever needed to for timing help.

If you don't mind spending some supplies and fuel, just do the above, but the moment their e-burn runs out and they stop wiggling, hit your own emergency burn and click on their fleet.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »

Even if you are slower, you just bait them to e-burn with sustained burn, and then when their e-burn is running out, you activate your own and you will catch them before theirs comes off cool down again. Taking the skill that eliminates cr penalty for sustained burn makes it a lot less painful too.

Florian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 04:52:50 PM »

In addition, your interdiction range (and maybe duration) is computed from your sensor strengh.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 05:34:52 PM »

Make burn speed of your's fleet 20, there is one skill that ads 2 speed, and take tugs, each tug ads 1 speed. And just fly followed by such fleet, when it's emergency burn ends, you will cach it.
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 06:02:46 PM »

I made some "high quality"  ;) video for you. As you see, i have skill Navigation 3 lvl and 4 tugs, you can not use that skill, just take 2 more tugs.
Try to hunt it! ;)

DrPhat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 01:05:52 AM »

Damn nice flying Sinigr!

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 04:02:25 AM »

Don't forget you can turn at almost any angle while sustained burning, as disabling it completely kills your speed.
So rather than long looping turns, just toggle your burn on and off again.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 01:05:23 PM »

Try to hunt it! ;)

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 01:35:56 PM »

I made some "high quality"  ;) video for you. As you see, i have skill Navigation 3 lvl and 4 tugs, you can not use that skill, just take 2 more tugs.

Speed 20 or tugs are entirely unnecessary and not a good suggestion for a new player.