Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Carriers  (Read 8670 times)

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
Re: Carriers
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 08:29:20 PM »

Condors just need combat-freighter-ish logistics stats. 150 or so cargo capacity wouldn't be outrageous, and would cement it as the cheap carrier for traders, explorers, and logistically-minded captains.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 02:46:17 AM »

But isn't the point that it used to be a freighter, having lost it's storage space to make room for a fighter factory.

They are the quintessential makeshift warship.

The Gemini however IS a great freighter carrier if that's what you are looking for.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 03:16:41 AM »

But isn't the point that it used to be a freighter, having lost it's storage space to make room for a fighter factory.

They are the quintessential makeshift warship.

Yep. Every Condor originally started out as a Tarsus. And eventually the conversion became so common Tarsus hulls were converted while still under construction essentially creating a new derived class.
This is why Condor has worst stats than the Tarsus for almost everything, it is sacrificing part of literally every ability in order to carry fighters in the same space that used to be cargo/engines/etc.

It's not supposed to be "good". It's supposed to be "good enough".
And the metric you're using to quantify that is; "can it get fighters into battle?"

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2019, 06:53:07 AM »

There could still be some left over, it doesn't have to be a perfect conversion.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2019, 04:36:02 PM »

What is the best carrier?
The best carrier is the one you're happiest using. The one that fits with and compliments the way you play.
what are the best wing Load outs for them? Thanks.
This depends on what you have available, and what you like using.

Some suggestions (which may or may not align with your preference):

Gemini
Bays: 1
OP: 55
Speed: 50
Deploy Cost: 9
Spoiler
A side-grade to the Condor, which may prove useful. Faster, can actually defend itself, and has more OP to use. The only downside is getting half the fighters for a similar deployment cost.
Gemini has the OP to fit most bombers fairly comfortably, and will likely be the first carrier you encounter which can do so. But it presents you with a problem - Gemini has the reserve deployment special, which only works with fighters, so putting bombers on it is a waste.
So it will always want to have fighters fitted to take advantage the extra firepower it provides, especially early game when you're likely to be using it.
Works well as a platform for support fighters like Xyphos.
[close]

Problem with Gemini and Xyphos is that Xyphos rarely die and the system would be wasted
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:43:44 PM by Tackywheat1 »

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2019, 04:45:41 PM »

If you happen to have the scy mod, mounting dual singularity on an Astral with 6 piranhas is... interesting...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »

Doesn't Xyphos get boosted to wing size 3 from reserve deployment?

6 Piranhas + singularities... well I'll give it points for style and 'Noooo my Astral just killed my cruiser!!!' levels of craziness.

Snowscoran

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 10:03:59 AM »

I'm firmly in the camp who thinks the Condor is a decent ship. It has the distinction of fielding the most strike craft wings per deployment point, and compared to other ships in the 'converted civilian/pirate' category it's among the most lethal of the bunch. Give it a solid battleline to hide behind, and its fighter support packs a lot of punch for its low cost.

I feels like the main reason it gets picked on a lot is that it's blown out of the water by the Drover, which ticks in at a comparable price point. But then, the Drover is one of the best ships in the game, so the comparison is almost unfair.

With strike craft, even the humble talon wing, being as good as they are, the Condor is one of the ships I'm definitely dreading to see in an early game pirate fleet. I'd much rather fight some more frigates or an Enforcer than face the strike craft complement of a Condor.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 03:21:59 PM »

Doesn't Xyphos get boosted to wing size 3 from reserve deployment?

6 Piranhas + singularities... well I'll give it points for style and 'Noooo my Astral just killed my cruiser!!!' levels of craziness.

imo Sparks benefit more from reserve deployment. Xyphos do get boosted but isn't it a temporary boost?

Well... I once had around 8 singularity launchers in my fleet.... many friendly fire incidents including a reaper... AI loved to shoot them even when there was some debris infront of the ship/launcher

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 09:57:08 PM »

Sparks do get boosted, I believe from 5 to 7, while Xyphos go from 2 to 3. Its temporary for all fighters.

Reserve Deployment is moderately OP, Sparks are strongly OP, the combination is even worse :P

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 10:11:05 PM »

Cobras are also interesting unconventional use for Drovers (due to wing size of 1).
Empty bombers count as dead for RD purposes, so you get to fire and immediately deploy more before initial wings return, pretty much duplicating Astral's system.
Pages: 1 [2]