Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What is your favorite Aurora fit?  (Read 1727 times)

BulbasaurWizard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What is your favorite Aurora fit?
« on: October 23, 2019, 08:02:59 AM »

Recently I salvaged and repaired a Cabal Aurora, which isn't too different that a standard one, and I'm wondering about some good fits.  I remember having one in my first playthrough that jumped around the battlefield and filled my killfeed like an assassin.  (It reminds me of the statement of Ron Weasley playing the knight on the giant chessboard in Harry Potter and the Sourcerer's Stone).  I don't remember that fit, but I was testing one out yesterday with phase lances, sunjet pde's (small explosive beams from Blackrock), some pd, and sabot's in the front, but it didn't seem to have as much shield pressure as needed, without spamming the sabots.

What do you think are some neat or unique fits on the Aurora that can make it be that solo AI beast?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite Aurora fit?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »

AI Aurora will never be a beast for its DP. Piloting it yourself, well that's a whole another league. Now the only thing I've seen that works well for AI is just max out everything related to flux and shields, and then put 2 Heavy blasters on it with missiles of choice in the front hardpoints. I like to put torpedoes on it to really make it an assassin since most of my other ships have enough kinetic firepower. In general Sabots are the safest bet even tho the AI doesn't use them quite well.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 08:43:18 AM »

If you're letting the AI fly it, this ^

If you're going to fly it this.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »

Cabal aurora is actually very different from a normal aurora because it has universal hard points. It may not seem like a lot but being able to use small kinetics is very strong. The vanilla loadouts mentioned are good for a vanilla aurora though. For the AI, I would probably only use 1 HB and 1 pulse laser though (and maybe some IR pulse to fill out the dissipation). I prefer to keep the flux cost down and have more efficient damage for the AI that won't use the sabots effectively.

For myself, I like 2x medium sabot pod and 4x reapers in the small synergy and 2 HB + max dissipation and shield hull mods. I usually throw expanded missile racks on in that case which is tight but makes the ship do a lot more IMO.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 09:33:11 AM »

My favorite Aurora fit is the Conquest Battlecruiser - jokes aside build with gravitons/ir lasers for favorable flux trade with the enemy.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 10:56:03 AM »

Like others have said, 2 HB or if fighting very strong shielded enemies 1HB 1Pulse and an IR or two, then load up on Sabots and Reapers. Something to up the aggression makes it perform much better: an aggressive officer, fleet doctrine ticked up a bunch, or full assault order.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 01:15:21 PM »

This is my usual Aurora fit. I fully embrace its missile cruiser side. It's also probably not very good with the AI.
However, when it comes to Starlight Aurora — that one is significantly different. It's way stronger and more direct, because of the hardpoint type changes. It's flying murder. Fast, with decent range, durable and evil.
Spoiler
[close]

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »

I would drop the burst PD for more caps/Stabalized shields/upgrading the rails to light needler. Its OK against fighters but in the end doesn't really do a lot vs missiles, especially because the missiles you're primarily concerned about (sabots) will not be effected by burst PD. Because you have the phase lances (which are good vs fighters) and 360 deg shield its probably better to just get more stronk and let fighters/missiles break on the shields.

imperialus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 09:09:44 PM »

I literally just got a Cabal Aurora today.  Might be my new favourite ship.  Only used it in a single battle and it was against pirate scum but I punched into the left flank and rolled up 3 or 4 assorted frigates, a Venture, a Falcon and a pair of the expanded arsenal destroyers while my main fleet faffed about the front.

I kitted her out with 3 railguns, 3 light phase lances and a reaper torp launcher in the front.  Pair of pulse lasers on the broadsides, and a Hornet MRM launcher.  It is an absolute savage.

Spoiler
sorry for the amature hour image upload. It was a quick one.
[close]

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:12:18 PM by imperialus »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 10:01:22 PM »

Comparing Cabal Aurora to basic one isn't fair. It's way better and by vanilla balancing is clearly overpowered.

imperialus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 10:11:49 PM »

Oh, I agree it's a monster.  That said I had to tear it out of a Cabal fleet just to get it, and spend half a mil removing the D-Mods so I paid for it, trust me.  Even then it's bloody expensive to field. 

This is actually my first modded game.  Pretty minimally modded at that, only real content expansion is Expanded Arsenal.  I can only imagine how zany it gets with even more factions and stuff.

BulbasaurWizard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 08:06:48 AM »

Comparing Cabal Aurora to basic one isn't fair. It's way better and by vanilla balancing is clearly overpowered.

Is it primarily the hardpoint changes that make it so good, or the flux and speed bonuses the cabal upgrades grants it?  I recently changed up my fit and switched the front 4 universal smalls to needlers, and the front small to sunjet PDE (Blackrock explosive beam) and the two medium energies to CAS beams from shadowyards (also explosive).  Sort of hate the crisscrossing nature of the CAS beams, but it seemed to work quite well.  Needlers are just so good.  I often use a medium as PD and switch most of the smalls to the needlers if they are forward facing.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 08:37:39 AM »

Some small ballistic weapons are better than medium energy weapons, and you get 4 of them. Go figure.