Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Java Bounty Board  (Read 2221 times)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Java Bounty Board
« on: October 23, 2019, 04:24:24 AM »

I bet that quite a few modders here have a very minimal understanding of java, and some don't have time to spare to learn it (like me).
Since asking people to code for you from the kindness of their heart seem cheap (and not likely to get any results either), the idea of a bounty board comes to mind.

It is simple - outline what you desire and whoever delivers it gets rewarded (trough paypal, steam credit or whatever compensation ones agrees upon)

I'm curious - would people be interested? Would coders be willing to participate?

SomeDegenerate

• Ensign
  • Credit to TerminalMontage on YouTube for the PfP
    • View Profile
Re: Java Bounty Board
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 07:11:10 AM »

Coder slowly learning Starsector's API here. An opportunity to justify spending more time working with Starsector, bring some mods to life on one of my favorite games, potentially see more projects that would never have seen the light of day, and earn some money out of the deal? Hell yeah I'd be interested.

Then again, with the modding staff forum we have the beginnings of something like that - just no framework for being paid, really. At the very least I think a sort of "available jobs" board that works opposite of the "available staff" board might be a good idea. 
Roses are red, violets are blue. I'm complete garbage, how about you?

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 08:27:08 AM »

Well, the paying framework is the thing that cannot be part of the board. I'm quite sure not all people even have Paypal. I guess I got inspired by DeviantArt forums. They have looking for artists (job openings) threads and free artists (service offering) threads.

Honestly, I am asking because I have my hands full and do not really want to spend hours wrestling with spaghetti code when someone who knows can do the same job in literally 15 minutes.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 05:03:46 AM »

So, I'm gonna list what thing I am in need off, and anyone who can lend a hand (or point me towards a mod that has something similar, so I can reverse-engineer it), feel free to contact me.

For starters, I have a bunch of shipsystems that need custom AI to make them workable.

1. RetroDrive - reverse burn drive. Only goes backwards, to quickly escape. The AI needs to check in a cone behind itself before turning it on.

2. Gunbooster - boosts weapons range, damage and accuracy at the cost of EVERYTHING else. No shields, no movement, increased EMP vulnerabiltiy and 10-20xCR decay while active. Not something to use when in close combat.

3. ShieldDiffuser - temporarily and instantly tripples the shield arc radius and near instant deployment, shield efficiency tanks. Used in emergencies to defend against torpedoes and such

4. Shield Focus - the opposite. Greatly reduces the shield arc (temporarily) and greatly boost shield efficiency. Reccommended against single, narrow targets.

5. RhoAias - a limited use system that works like temporary Safety Overrides - boost active/passive flux venting and eats CR. I could probably use a typical weapon boosting AI (like high energy focus) for this, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Aside from these simple things, something more ambitious is a MobileDocyard hullmod, that either increaes ship repair speed or lower repair costs across the fleet. Possibly allows for re-fittings of logistic hullmods in space.

And lastly, Fleet Spawning Control. Basically, once every month check the number of active fleets variable (lets call it ALIEN_FLEETS), and call the fleet spawning function (which I can handle and have it written more or less).
I have no idea how to hook that "monthy check" part, what function to extend and so on. The final goal is to have AI and alien fleets spawn and roam around randomly and attack random markets. Alien main fleets would have motherships and those would not respawn (so basically a second counter on how many motherships are left) so you can technically remove them from the game. Or perhaps they do respawn, slowly and up to a point (as long as there is 1 left), meaning that you can still exterminate them, you just have to be quick about it and kill them faster than they can be replaced.

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 04:49:40 AM »

First one is the SRA Morningstar ship's system
On the left half of the Bell curve

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 02:57:48 AM »

SRA? Please be more specific.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 03:25:01 AM »

Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority, is one of the mods you have already taken at least one script from while not renaming the class, nor crediting them which is a breach of the license of the mod.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 05:04:21 AM »

I don't recall every taking anything from SRA. Never even downloaded that mod as far as I can recall (not a fan of organic-like designs).
Then again, it's been years since I started and I have a whole lot of temporary files I don't recall anything about, so my memory is not reliable in this case.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 06:42:45 AM »

After the way you've acted toward Vayra in their mod's thread I can safely say that there is no amount of money that would ever convince me to write code for you. I would rather mop out a septic tank with a toothbrush than contribute a single line of code towards your goals.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 05:03:07 AM »

After the way you've acted toward Vayra in their mod's thread I can safely say that there is no amount of money that would ever convince me to write code for you. I would rather mop out a septic tank with a toothbrush than contribute a single line of code towards your goals.

Agreed, this guys a piece of work and doesn't deserve it. Really lives up to his name.

Do you always declare someone you don't know the devil based on a radnom post, or are you just having a day off?
Either way, it has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread, take it elsewhere.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 05:12:54 AM »

I don't think you're the devil. I think you're an adolescent scumbag with an entitlement complex aggravated by pseudonymity, who thinks that he can crowdsource programming work in order to cover for his profound ineptitude and total lack of modding skills.

The Devil can at least play the fiddle.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »

Locking this thread.