Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Promising early access game - Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts  (Read 2364 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Promising early access game - Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts
« on: October 21, 2019, 08:38:45 AM »

I've been looking for a warship customization game with the ocean navy, and ran across this gem. Basically a warship customization game, where you take a bunch of empty hull and add various guns and subsystems to build a warship and do battles.

Right now it only has single missions, like Starfarer v0.5, but they say a campaign will be added. This could be the start of something great...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UoU5ALs3gg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgqbrmPtL9M
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:42:08 AM by goduranus »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Promising early access game - Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 10:35:26 AM »

Yep, I can definitly see myself loosing countless hours in this...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 12:28:19 PM »

That looks very cool, especially the ship construction!

I think they need to look at their penetration/damage model though - in the gameplay video some of the interactions of the shells vs 'already destroyed' segments seems a little off, leading to a fairly light battleship absorbing probably 100+ 18 inch super heavy shell shots in easy penetration range before sinking. Maybe thats accurate, but I kind of doubt it considering the kill rates at historic BB vs BB fights...

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 02:58:17 PM »

This looks awesome. @Thaago maybe, i don't know much about subject, it's the over penetrating thingy, like shell just go thru cos there isn't much left to stop it. Maybe?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »

Maybe! There was the option to switch from "auto" shell selection to either AP or HE (I think)... maybe the player needed to switch to HE at such close range and the AI doesn't do that against big targets? I dunno!

It certainly looks like a cool game though.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 08:42:55 PM »

That looks very cool, especially the ship construction!

I think they need to look at their penetration/damage model though - in the gameplay video some of the interactions of the shells vs 'already destroyed' segments seems a little off, leading to a fairly light battleship absorbing probably 100+ 18 inch super heavy shell shots in easy penetration range before sinking. Maybe thats accurate, but I kind of doubt it considering the kill rates at historic BB vs BB fights...

I think the toughness is about right. Although in some other vid people were saying that armor deflection is too effective, or that torpedoes don't do enough damage. I think in those days gunfire generally can't sink a battleship unless there's an ammo detonation or some sort of critical damage to control systems like water pumps getting disabled. According to wikipedia:

Tovey's two battleships had fired over 700 main battery shells, many at very close range
The four British ships fired more than 2,800 shells at Bismarck, and scored more than 400 hits, but were unable to sink Bismarck by gunfire

Some Japanese battleships were sunk easily, but I think those are refitted battlecruisers.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:47:32 PM by goduranus »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:54:54 PM »

Hmm, could be! I know a lot of battleships and battlecruisers detonated at Jutland and of course there is the Hood, but then again I think all of those were magazine explosions.

On the other hand, the Bismark was rendered unable to fire any guns long before those 400 hits were complete... obviously the solution should have been to board the ship!