Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How does the difficulty and enemy fleet size scale ?  (Read 2175 times)

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
How does the difficulty and enemy fleet size scale ?
« on: October 20, 2019, 05:23:28 PM »

Greetings, so I was wondering how the size and power of the different enemy fleets scale in this game, is it based on the player's fleet size ? The player's income ? The number of cycles that passed since the start of the game ? Or something else ?
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How does the difficulty and enemy fleet size scale ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 08:50:33 PM »

The only fleets that scale are the bounty mission fleets (personal bounties, not system bounties). To quote myself from another thread on the subject:
The size of bounty fleets scales with the number of bounty missions you've completed and, to a much lesser degree, the in-game time that has passed since the start of the game.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:15:31 AM by Sundog »

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 09:21:49 PM »

The way fleets scale varies depending on the kind of fleet.

The most video gamey scaling are the bounties which, IIRC, scale minorly off time and majorly off player level and how many bounties the player has taken down.

Pirate and pather patrols on the fringe, as well as pirate raids, are stronger based on the size of their originating space station which grows the longer it stays operational.

Meanwhile, the strength of patrols in core systems from major factions, permanent pirate colonies, and your own patrols are based on their colonies. Size is based on patrol HQ(weak), military base(average), and High command(strong) on a planet. Quality is based on Heavy industry/Orbital bases and the best nanoforge owned by the faction. Size, ship quality, and officer numbers/level are also modified by faction doctrines which all go into faction system presence.

Spoiler
Lastly, The remnants strength in a system is based on the station in the system. Fully operational (red beacon) systems are the strongest, damaged stations (orange beacon) are medium strength, and no station (yellow beacon) are the weakest.
[close]

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 11:20:56 PM »

*shakes fist*
But if you have meant patrol fleets, those scale off their colony's size and modifiers. Roughly speaking, bigger colonies make bigger patrols.
And if you meant expeditions instead, then those just scale off defeated expeditions... Or just off how many of them were there before? I'm not sure, I never really bothered to check that.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 12:04:48 AM »

Alright thanks everyone, that was exactly what I was looking for.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."