Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How to add custom fighters?  (Read 2736 times)

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
How to add custom fighters?
« on: October 19, 2019, 09:44:31 PM »

I assume the ship and weapon editor wont work? Wanna add fighters to my mod but obviously no idea how

SomeDegenerate

• Ensign
  • Credit to TerminalMontage on YouTube for the PfP
    • View Profile
Re: How to add custom fighters?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »

Are you looking for help on making sprites/kitbashing the fighters, how to put their stats in a csv, or a complete, from-the-ground-up guide?

Functionally they're almost the same as regular ships - they've just some small differences in tags and the like when you're working under the hood. You shouldn't have problems, depending on which ship and weapon editor you're using, but if I know what you're struggling with I should be able to point you in the right direction. Or ask for a more experienced modder's help :P
Roses are red, violets are blue. I'm complete garbage, how about you?

connortron7

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 11:56:17 AM »

Are you looking for help on making sprites/kitbashing the fighters, how to put their stats in a csv, or a complete, from-the-ground-up guide?

Functionally they're almost the same as regular ships - they've just some small differences in tags and the like when you're working under the hood. You shouldn't have problems, depending on which ship and weapon editor you're using, but if I know what you're struggling with I should be able to point you in the right direction. Or ask for a more experienced modder's help :P

Im using deathflys editor, and im fine on kitbashing i just didn't know where to start with everything else, ive added plenty of ships so i know the basics, just didn't know what i needed to do different

NoFoodAfterMidnight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 11:57:12 AM »

I think there's a tutorial on the wiki.

But a quick rundown on what you need:

A .ship file
A .variant file
An entry in ship_data.csv
An entry in wing_data.csv

To make the ship and variant file you can use Ship and Weapon Editor, to edit the .csv's I suggest doing it yourself and familiarizing yourself with them, you can open them in Excel instead of notepad to make it MUCH easier to look at and edit.

To get them to spawn in the markets you need to add them to a BP by adding the name of a BP to their tags in wing_data.csv, and/or add their ID directly to a .faction file under "knownFighters", similar to how you'd get normal ships to spawn in markets.

I'm pretty sure the wiki has some breakdowns of the ship_data- and wing_data- .csv's if you need them.

connortron7

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »

I think there's a tutorial on the wiki.

But a quick rundown on what you need:

A .ship file
A .variant file
An entry in ship_data.csv
An entry in wing_data.csv

To make the ship and variant file you can use Ship and Weapon Editor, to edit the .csv's I suggest doing it yourself and familiarizing yourself with them, you can open them in Excel instead of notepad to make it MUCH easier to look at and edit.

To get them to spawn in the markets you need to add them to a BP by adding the name of a BP to their tags in wing_data.csv, and/or add their ID directly to a .faction file under "knownFighters", similar to how you'd get normal ships to spawn in markets.

I'm pretty sure the wiki has some breakdowns of the ship_data- and wing_data- .csv's if you need them.

Thank you! as stated above ive already added ships and know that basics, i just didn't think it'd be as simple as a few differences under the hood! Ill have a go at it tonight

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 03:18:02 PM »

One thing you really need to remember is to set the hull size to FIGHTER - otherwise, fighters will collide with their parent ship when they spawn and damage both.

(I can neither confirm nor deny that I have done this.)

connortron7

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »

One thing you really need to remember is to set the hull size to FIGHTER - otherwise, fighters will collide with their parent ship when they spawn and damage both.

(I can neither confirm nor deny that I have done this.)

Noted! Thanks

puffzor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »

This mod is amazing 13/10 would recommend

connortron7

• Captain
    • View Profile