Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mid-game advice (Where do I go from here?)  (Read 1677 times)

Coop

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Mid-game advice (Where do I go from here?)
« on: October 18, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »

Hi everyone,

Started playing this game for a few days now and have been having a good time, but I'm kinda stumped on what to do progression-wise. I've assembled a small fleet for myself, with the initial intent of going all-in on the Drover spam meta, but I'm seriously debating shifting course on that due to recent playstyle changes; I've managed to trade my derelict Hammerhead for a pristine one, and gotten the supplies needed to go for a Safety Override build. I'm absolutely loving the way I can dive in, melt 2-3 ships, and back off unscathed to dissipate so far. My problem, however, is where I should go from here. I haven't got a clue what ships I should go for that might fit this style of play, or if I should shift gears and grab, say, a Dominator (god knows I've been seeing a lot of those lately.) Or maybe I should continue with the Drover-spam silliness? I have ~$500k stockpiled, and I've managed to take down a $130k pirate base without too many worries. Here's my current fleet as of writing:

Spoiler
Hammerhead (Flagship)
Safety Overrides
x2 Ass. Chainguns
x2 Hammer Torpedos
x2 Railguns
x2 PD Laser

x4 Drovers
1 Talon
1 Broadsword
Hardened Subsystems
Expanded Crew Decks
Expanded Shields

x3 Wolf
Heavy Blaster
Ion Cannon
x2 Swarmer
x2 PD

(Plus misc shuttles and a Phaeton)
[close]

So that's where I'm at right now. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:50:32 AM by Coop »

BulbasaurWizard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Mid-game advice (Where do I go from here?)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 08:16:45 AM »

That's one of the great things about this game.  There are tons of options.  However, that can also make the path forward a little daunting to choose.  The more times you play this game, you'll have a better sense of what you want to do.  I really like how you are finding your own path with the fighting style that you enjoy.  Don't pidgeonhole yourself into some setup that some min-maxer with 1000 hours into the game says is "the best."  Have fun and fly a kitchen sink fleet.  Put weird weapons on your ships and find out what you like the best.

As for the options, it seems like you are mostly focused on the fighting group thing.  You can continue to do bounties and grow your fleet into cruisers and above.  You can take a commission with a faction and fight along side them.  Otherwise you are also approaching the stage where deep space exploration can begin in all of its wonders and dangers.  Find the ruins of the ancient past and use the relics to increase your power.  Find a world to settle and start your own colony.  Set your sight on a goal and push towards it. 

I play with a lot of mods these days, but one thing I do is set "house rules," which in my case is where I don't go after bounties other than IBB board or if I incidentally come across them out in the wild.  I think bounties are too easy to accrue money, so I made a rule to make me choose a different path.  It is all up to you.

Coop

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 07:17:04 AM »

That's one of the great things about this game.  There are tons of options.  However, that can also make the path forward a little daunting to choose.  The more times you play this game, you'll have a better sense of what you want to do.  I really like how you are finding your own path with the fighting style that you enjoy.  Don't pidgeonhole yourself into some setup that some min-maxer with 1000 hours into the game says is "the best."  Have fun and fly a kitchen sink fleet.  Put weird weapons on your ships and find out what you like the best.

Aye, that's exactly my problem so far, lol; tons of paths, not sure which I should go for. I think I am going to ease off of the drover-spam and transition more into a more standard style fleet. I may see about taking a commission with the Hegemony (I'm liking the look of some of their ships.) Otherwise, I'll probably be gunning for either a Dominator or an Eagle; the Dominator I've heard good things about for being incredibly tough all-around, but the Eagle interests me due to its speed factor; as mentioned before I've grown partial to the more skirmish-type fighting style. Thank you for the input!

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »

You can do anything you like. If you are happy stockpiling money till you decide what to do next, you can do that. If you simply want to grow your fleet, you can take recovered ships as a cheap alternative to buying them, though from the looks of it you want an "elite" fleet. Maybe set yourself a goal or challenge. Like seeing how high your bounty hunting can go. Or start exploring the systems around as you. Maybe experiment around with fleet compositions. You can try doing trade missions as well just to see what it feels like if you never done it before.

Ebola

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »

If you are happy stockpiling money till you decide what to do next, you can do that.
That one's important. There is no inflation in any way and the game doesn't really scale in difficulty (only thing I can think of is the things you find outside of the core getting less d-mods) apart from missions you have to take on, which you simply can decide not to do. AI planets don't develop and even with nerelexin they don't grow, all the colonies just stay at level 3 being useless forever. I remember a game where I collected millions without upgrading my fleet because I was looking for a place to start colonizing (I like making my own cluster) and just didn't find anything, but the commission money kept rolling.
At least for now the sector is really just your plaything. Just don't get ganged on.