Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What should I do ? I almost run out of supplies  (Read 2461 times)

Tombslord

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What should I do ? I almost run out of supplies
« on: October 18, 2019, 06:05:10 AM »

Hello !

I'm new to this game, I just finished the campaign tutorial and I'm in the Corvus system.

But, I'm extremely low on supply (29) and my actual fleet consumption is -1.8/day... (I can't even do one revolution of the system without dying).
The fleet is only composed by the tutorial ships and the 2 start ships : 1 Hammerhead, 1 Condor, 2 Wolf, 1 Shepherd, 1 Mudskipper and 1 Dram.

When I try to search for debris or salvagable ships, I spend more supplies searching than earning them...

Unfortunately, I just saw that 3 of my 4 D-ships have "Increased Maintenance" D-mod (What a lucky guy...) : the Dram, 1 Wolf, and the Hammerhead.
I have 10 000 credits so I can buy 80 supplies max, and litteraly can't restore D-ships.

So... What should I do ?
- Should I restart a new campaign and hope for other D-mods ?
- Should I start a campaign without tutorial (and without theses free ships) ?
- Should I disassemble some of my ships ?
- Other ?

I need help !  :-\

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do ? I almost run out of supplies
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 06:29:06 AM »

Hello !

I'm new to this game, I just finished the campaign tutorial and I'm in the Corvus system.

But, I'm extremely low on supply (29) and my actual fleet consumption is -1.8/day... (I can't even do one revolution of the system without dying).
The fleet is only composed by the tutorial ships and the 2 start ships : 1 Hammerhead, 1 Condor, 2 Wolf, 1 Shepherd, 1 Mudskipper and 1 Dram.

When I try to search for debris or salvagable ships, I spend more supplies searching than earning them...

Unfortunately, I just saw that 3 of my 4 D-ships have "Increased Maintenance" D-mod (What a lucky guy...) : the Dram, 1 Wolf, and the Hammerhead.
I have 10 000 credits so I can buy 80 supplies max, and litteraly can't restore D-ships.

So... What should I do ?
- Should I restart a new campaign and hope for other D-mods ?
- Should I start a campaign without tutorial (and without theses free ships) ?
- Should I disassemble some of my ships ?
- Other ?

I need help !  :-\
Do not use ships with D-mods, and i have some videos how you can make your game.
Descriptions under videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AWfbT6L444&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5RrVD_RjWQ&t=0s
Make paragons with such fleet.

And final fleet version, skills, colonies...

Supply for mainteance: 8.60, fuel usage, 150, sensor range 1050 conditionally maximum of 5 capitals, 2 free slots for capturing ships, global burn 20: maximum. Salvage 63% of 4 rigs.

That fleet is suitable for any kind of activity. And i never bought supplies with such game style.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:40:57 AM by Sinigr »
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 06:41:59 AM »

Supplies are sold at just about any trade dock. Make some money! Some options include:

- Find a bounty and shoot some ships. There are generic bounties, and special villain bounties.
- Do a trade mission. Sometimes trade missions can be found in bars, but they'll show up on the map as well.
- Look for battles. Any time two factions shoot at each other, they litter space with precious salvage and derelict ships. Join the battles if you like, that's a good way to make friends.
- Salvage, salvage, salvage. Keep spamming that salvage button and don't stop until you squeeze the wreckage dry. Most things can take 2-3 salvage attempts, but very rich spots might be worth 4 or more.
- Join the Hegemony. They'll pay you some money each month to help stay afloat.

The tutorial reward gives a very nice monthly paycheck to keep your fleet going. Check your finances tab, you should see +15k/month if the tutorial is complete.

There are some options to save money as well:
- Mothball ships. They will no longer consume supplies nor require crew. The cost is you automatically lose all current combat rating%. (some fleet abilities will also be disabled)
- Disable ship repairs. It is cheaper to maintain a damaged ship, than it is to fix it up and run out of supplies. The penalty for no supplies is pretty heavy.
- Sell ships. Strip off their guns first. It's not a great idea, the market pays scrapyard prices even if the ship is brand new.
- Scrap ships. Another awful option, you get pennies on the dollar in terms of scrap.
- Use your ships. Hey, you won't feel bad if they blow up, right? May as well use them up.
- Don't fly into the sun. Any time you see the "corona" effect on your fleet, your supplies are melting away faster than dropping ice into the sun.
- Do not go over your cargo/crew limits. Your fleet will essentially open its airlock doors and supplies will fly out. Reject excess fuel and metal, and sell your inventory to keep spare cargo room handy.

Just be rich bro!
Uh. That's not helpful at all. The way to riches is paved with high gains and low losses. Good first steps include learning how to make money, and how to avoid bleeding money. The death system is pretty generous so if you lose everything, you'll still respawn with some starter ships.

Increased maintenance
The "increased maintenance" mod is very scary at first glance, but monthly costs are one of the softer expenses in the game. The biggest cost of all is ship deployments. It can easily cost 50 supplies for an early game deployment, that's over $5k just to fight! D-mods make deployment costs cheaper, so you can get into more battles for cheap.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 06:59:44 AM »

This topic can probably help you with your situation of going places.

You could buy storage (5000) and place the wolf and Hammerhead in there or sell them to conserve supplies due to their Increased maintenance mod until you work up the money to buy cheaper, pristine versions of the commonly found Wolf and Hammerhead.

Do not use ships with D-mods, and i have some videos how you can make your game.

D-modded ships aren't bad. In fact, there's a lot of good in D-modded ships. They're cheap(cost minor supplies), they can be an early boost of power via salvaging a cruiser before able to pay for one(or in my case, a destroyer freighter during spacer start), you don't have to care as much about their deaths so you can take more risks with them, and they make combat cheaper with their 20% supply discount up to 80% for combat. Which can help a lot for someone struggling with supplies except for the Increased Maintenance mod. Its not quite correct to write them off completely. The main drawback of D-modded ships is that you won't be able to attain as high of a endgame potential combat power when using them, but that's something for endgame, not early to mid.

Re: Logistics D-mods tend to be a deal breaker for me unless you're talking having them on a destroyer or frigate in a fleet with capitals where they won't affect as much compared to the capitals themselves anyway (and you can forget about the level of drain a capital with Logistics D-mods would soak up).

Hope that all helps!

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 07:42:20 AM »

This topic can probably help you with your situation of going places.

You could buy storage (5000) and place the wolf and Hammerhead in there or sell them to conserve supplies due to their Increased maintenance mod until you work up the money to buy cheaper, pristine versions of the commonly found Wolf and Hammerhead.
Corvus system, abondoned terraforming platform, free storage. No needs to pay for some storade at planet.
Try to hunt it! ;)

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 08:16:15 AM »

Corvus system, abondoned terraforming platform, free storage. No needs to pay for some storade at planet.
Not a real fan of the Corvus platform. For an "abandoned" platform it's pretty deep in the core worlds. Using it as a free storage locker in the middle of populated space just doesn't feel right.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 08:21:18 AM »

Not a real fan of the Corvus platform. For an "abandoned" platform it's pretty deep in the core worlds. Using it as a free storage locker in the middle of populated space just doesn't feel right.
I use it for free and i am gald!
Try to hunt it! ;)

Tombslord

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 11:17:36 AM »

Thanks guys, for your advices !

I will try some of your tips :)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »

Your supply use is a little bit high but nothing that is a serious issue. There should be plenty of ways to make money (bar missions/bounties etc) which will get you over the little hump you're in. You might want to trim some ships that aren't useful if you're going to do a bounty though as there is also fuel to consider

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 03:42:12 PM »

One note on Increased Maintenance: its a high price if you do not have the industry skills that reduce D mod effects/apply their discount to maintenance. If you go that route, and have fleet logistics 2 (which everyone should because it leads to fleet logistics 3...), then you need to fight once every 40 days (roughly - 4/3 month to be exact) to break even on supplies. If you fight more than that, it actually saves you money!