Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colony Fleet/Patrol buildup tracker?  (Read 1976 times)

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Colony Fleet/Patrol buildup tracker?
« on: November 21, 2018, 11:12:34 AM »

Currently, colony fleet/patrol buildup is extremely opaque and almost entirely a guessing game. I have no idea how long until a colony's Patrol HQ (or any of the upgraded versions) produces a new patrol (or any other) fleet or what kind of fleet it's trying to produce, let alone how many fleets the colony has already produced and where they are or what their current composition is.

It would be super helpful if the Colony screen included a "Fleet Buildup" tracker that shows how many days until the Patrol HQ produces a new fleet, what kind of fleet it's trying to produce, and maybe a rough estimate of the maximum number of fleets/ships the colony can support given its current population, fleet base level, and any other variables that go into that calculation to make estimating your current level of potential system defense possible.
For bonus points, a "Fleet List" either on the colony screen or as part of the Command menu that shows a list of all active fleets produced by your colony/empire and their composition and current location would be very helpful as well.

I do also have an ulterior motive for this; my current colony has a high fleet strength rating (almost 100%) and Military Base with all its requirements fulfilled by in-faction production and yet has seemed to produce no patrol fleets after months of existence - I haven't seen any orbiting the colony or guarding the warp points, or flying around in the system. Only the odd trader fleet seems to have been produced. Having a fleet list or otherwise being able to see when the next military patrol should be built would help me figure out if this is a bug or not.

Baro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Fleet/Patrol buildup tracker?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 01:51:33 PM »

I really wish all the factions, my own included, actually had to budget for these fleets and build them via your industrial capacity.  It would make it so thinning out enemy faction fleets actually hurt them, and it would give me something to do with this million credits a month I'm making and make it feel like my patrol fleets are "real"

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 04:37:56 PM »

It would be nice if AI factions played by the same economic rules as the player. And having to direct fleets to be built by budgeting for them similar to how custom production works would be nice (also means you could slowly build up a large military presence even at a small colony, if you wanted to spend the money and time).

But I'd be happy even with just the added transparency of being able to see what fleets a colony was automatically building for me, and what the existing fleets produced by a given colony looked like and were doing.

Hiruuamon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »

A year later, and now that I'm far along in the game with 2 thriving colonies and a third on the way, I see what the complaint is.  Pirates bases spawn at a "cheat" rate, and while I have millions in the bank, I have no way to set my patrol fleet up to ensure a robust enough force to squash them and the constant attempts from the other world powers.  I'm Hegemony, so I'm covered on them not attacking, and I'm 100% with Indies.  The Church guys hate me and I can't even bribe them, which I do to others.  I could wipe out whatever they send, but $100k is worth not aggravating them even more.  anyway...the colony management portion needs a lot more fleshing out.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 08:04:59 PM »

I've always been able to build up enough defenses that I can ignore raids/expeditions and deal with the rep loss in other ways. I build high commands and max level stations on every colony and I also make sure to have at least 2 colonies in any system I colonize so the patrols stack. If there are actually no patrols from a military bass on decent size colony, something could be bugged, that seems very inconsistent with my experience.

That being said, factions following economic based rules about the fleets they can deploy/send after the player would be cool, and the player actually being told what their buildings do would also be nice also.

Hiruuamon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »

I have some planets scoped out and one system might have 3 colony in the future, which I figured would make it easier to stack Patrols.  I'm upgrading the colony in my first system, and I'll probably settle the desert planet to get the stacking benefits as well for patrols.  I discovered the feature to set the composition of your patrol fleets, but it would be nice if you could boost them by dumping more funding into your fleets, directly.  WRT tot eh spawn of pirates, I'm going to snoop in the code to see if I can change it.  I already lowered the tariff to 10%, since I thought 30% was ridiculous.