Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No sound on linux  (Read 1006 times)

qbmax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
No sound on linux
« on: October 14, 2019, 07:49:32 PM »

Hello. I've been unsuccessfully trying to run starsector with sound this past hour and it's incredibly frustrating. I am on ubuntu 18.04 and I get no sound whenever I launch the game. Nothing I have done has changed this. The solution in the troubleshooting thread hasn't worked and neither has a fresh install. Is there a fix?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: No sound on linux
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »

Hi - I'm sorry about the trouble!

What happens when you try to run with sound on? Are there any errors, either in the console or in starsector.log?

qbmax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »

Hi, as far as I can tell there's nothing out of the ordinary getting printed in the console. The only thing related to sound is just the console reporting that it's playing the main menu ogg. The only mention of "sound" in starsector.log is from several weeks ago when I last played. 

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »

Hmm, unfortunately that's not much to go on. Did sound work at that point, several weeks ago, or no?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 08:30:48 PM by Alex »

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 01:26:43 PM »

If no errors related to playback shown maybe java process outputs sound to wrong sound device like HDMI port or something else. Check pulse audio control panel then game is launched and check which card is used for playback. Can you post the output of "aplay -l" command?