Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: More Active Moderation  (Read 1111 times)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
More Active Moderation
« on: November 08, 2019, 05:21:13 AM »

Between the level of abuse some newer posters are directing at modders and other players, the spambots, and the increasing size of the community, I think it's safe to say that the current moderation team is not up to the task. As far as I can see, only Alex, Mendonca, and Gothars are active moderators on the forum.

I can provide cites of individual posters and incidents that I believe have been let slide and contributed to making the forum a more toxic place. I will also cop to being a bit short, snarky, and sometimes cutting with people, but I would happily apologize and accept greater restrictions on my own behavior to see the forum become more civil as a whole.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:30:04 AM by Soren »

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More Active Moderation
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 05:42:30 AM »

making the forum a more toxic place.
*rolls eyes* I vote not this guy.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 05:54:57 AM »

I explicitly don't want to be a forum moderator. I just want the actual moderators to do their jobs, and for the forum to have enough of them.

If you want to talk about the Discord, I'd like to see some of what passes unchallenged there brought to Alex's attention. When we had a meme thread on the forum, he was shocked, repulsed, and removed it. That kind of stuff is par for the course there. The current owner of the server is the one who, back when I was a moderator, clogged up the server so much with low effort memes that a whole channel, the Meme Bilge, had to be created to contain it. I would know, because I was there and I chose the name.

If I've been awful to people there, it's because the state of the conversation has seriously degenerated. Not having contact with that crowd has been great for my mental health, but now that it and it's standards of behavior are seeping into the forum, I'm not sure if I want to stick around here at all. I've had years of harassment, I've been called every racial, religious, and gender slur under the sun, and I'm a cisgender Protestant white man.

I would like to know how I'm supposed to feel about racist and anti-semitic memes. I'd like to know how I'm supposed to feel about being targeted for harassment on SA and having a 4chan thread fill up with 'joke' posts about my anus. These are just the things I've stumbled on; I'm sure there's much worse out there.

And I don't think for a minute that the people who engage in this sort of behavior out there aren't coming on to the forum. When New Galactic Order was still up, it regularly saw people with no other posts arriving in the thread to post in support of Ahne's far-right propagandizing. If you think the way I have behaved, under immense personal stress, in other venues is admissible here, then maybe we should have a talk about the way other people have behaved offsite as well.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:30:09 AM by Soren »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »

Between the level of abuse some newer posters are directing at modders and other players, the spambots, and the increasing size of the community, I think it's safe to say that the current moderation team is not up to the task. As far as I can see, only Alex, Mendonca, and Gothars are active moderators on the forum.

I can provide cites of individual posters and incidents that I believe have been let slide and contributed to making the forum a more toxic place. I will also cop to being a bit short, snarky, and sometimes cutting with people, but I would happily apologize and accept greater restrictions on my own behavior to see the forum become more civil as a whole.

Thank you for bringing this up - I've been seeing some behavior that I think is uncalled for, myself, and have been trying to call it out more, but it's a lot to keep up with. Still, this is definitely something that bothers me, and I'd like to see people being better to each other; perhaps especially to newer players/forum members. This community should be a welcoming one!

That said, talking about moderation on the forum is against the forum rules. If you (or anyone else) has further concerns, please PM me or one of the moderators; I'm locking this thread.