Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whats the best way to counter phase fleets  (Read 8285 times)

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
Whats the best way to counter phase fleets
« on: October 11, 2019, 09:42:15 PM »

Sorry if there was such topic, didnt saw any.

Having problems with IBB mission fully loaded with phases. I v encountered phase fleets earlier. It was harder to kill than regular enemies (i m not talking about pirate trash fleets here ofc), but doable. With a little losses or without any at all.

But this IBB one is kinda next level. I understand that it is intended to be so, but i think, there is some specially fitted fleet required.

My regular tactics against phases was simple: lots of tactical lasors and point defence force AI ships to stay in their phase realm until they nearly overload. Is there any additional hints to solve such fights?

Also any advices about IBB mechanics will be appreciated.
Spoiler
[close]

ZeCaptain

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the best way to counter phase fleets
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 10:17:57 PM »

Carrers with fighters/interceptors, hardened subsystems, pilums, full shields, and long range beam weapons.
Then just make a big ball around your big ships and stay there, the interceptors and long range will cause the AI to phase out and run away, the only reliable way I've found to kill phase fleets is to wait for them to lose most or all of their CR then murder them while they can't do anything. phase ships have about half the combat time of regular ships.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 10:25:22 PM »

A couple of ways.
  • Spam pilums and watch AI die of a heart attack.
  • Spam fighters (not bombers, they are going to miss a bunch).
  • Spam beams, especially the High Intensity Laser.
  • Get a bunch of capitals with Hardened Subsystems, then outwait the phase ships.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »

I'd even say "interceptors" over fighters too, because if the phase ships can zip away under phase they can get a vent in. Talons are a little light, but massed will do, and Sparks are practically tailor made to murder phase ships.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 10:59:44 PM »

TY for replies!

About pilums: do they recapture the target if it was lost because of phase cloack and then reappeared?
Spoiler
[close]

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 11:16:49 PM »

A couple of ways.
  • Spam pilums and watch AI die of a heart attack.
  • Spam fighters (not bombers, they are going to miss a bunch).
  • Spam beams, especially the High Intensity Laser.
  • Get a bunch of capitals with Hardened Subsystems, then outwait the phase ships.
Hardened subsystems is hardly necessary.  A Doom only has the PPT of an Destroyer (low tech), and it runs out of CR faster once the PPT ends.  That's before you consider that it spends the majority of the time phase cloaked, meaning that time runs 3-4x as fast for the Doom as your ships, so it's 420 second PPT runs out in around 150 seconds of combat.  A Doom will actually run out of CR faster than a Tempest without Hardened Subsystems.

Anything less than a Doom obviously runs out faster.  More importantly, anything less than a Doom doesn't really pose much of a threat.  AI is so *** when it comes to phase ships that you can pretty much just ignore them and nothing will happen, then they run out of CR and die, no problem.

If you are fighting at a much smaller scale and want to kill Gremlins and Shades fast without waiting 2-3 minutes for them to run out of CR naturally, the best thing to do is sit on them while they are in phase and just wait until they have no choice but to surface in your line of fire.  Hyperion works best for that, especially with alternating phase lance (1 phase lance forces them into phase, the second provides a threat to keep them there until they run out of flux, then you pounce with both).

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 02:01:09 AM »

TY for replies!

About pilums: do they recapture the target if it was lost because of phase cloack and then reappeared?

They search for another target.
I think all missiles do that (but most of them run out of fuel while turning or hit the dead ship before they can turn and target another ship)

Against Phase ship. As others said Cover them with fire (fast firing ballistics (preferably HE) also work) until they  have to vent or overload. (Fighters, beams eg.)
or outlive their CR
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 02:03:53 AM by Chronosfear »
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 05:52:16 AM »

This is my purely vanilla experience with phase ships. In my experience pilums don't work as phase ships are generally way too fast for the pilums to ever catch them. Waiting for CR decay is a pain, so I wouldn't try that as a strategy. Best way is to be able to damage them for the short instance they decloak or run out of flux. Fighters like Thunders and even Talons are best, though curiously enough, I found that sometimes Daggers can hit phase ships when they dephase as it take 2 seconds for them to rephase. High Intensity Laser, Tachyon Lance and Phase lance for ship weapons. Doom is a pain to fight against as it is good at killing fighters, and can quickly kill frigates and destroyers alike, but it is also relatively slow and runs out of flux quickly.

In theory Harbinger should be great because it can dephase ships, but it's best vs the frigate phase ships as Harbinger vs Harbinger duals are some of the stupidest things I have ever seen. Likewise for Doom vs Doom. You need to be able to predict where the other Doom will be so it can't so easily dephase and to predict where and when it runs out of flux and ideally you want a flux advantage as well so the other Doom dephases first.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 06:19:09 AM by Plantissue »

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »

The AI isn't terribly effective with phase ships, so ideally you can kill the main fleet first and focus them down afterward.

There are virtually no weapons that can deal significant burst damage in the small window of weakness between cloaks. Missile weapons take too long to reach the target, and most projectiles are only good for 1 or 2 hits. Long duration weapons like beams tend to be more effective. Pressure the ship to stay cloaked to overload its flux, and it will eventually have no choice but to decloak into taking damage.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 02:01:15 PM »

Pilums don't need to catch phase ships. Phase ships are immensely distracted by them and can't do anything while in Pilum saturated area, eventually losing by CR. Of course, Pilums have crap missile hp, so even minimum PD may be able shoot them down.

Spamming interceptors is still better, especially Sparks.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 06:02:33 PM »

In short, weapons that have continuous fire can outlast phase ships' flux, forcing them to decloak and take armor damage.  It's all downhill from there.  Weapons with sudden burst potential are bad because they can dodge into cloak then come out and hit you during your cooldown phase.  Anything with limited ammo is foolish.  Beams are spectacular against them, as is any weapon with a regular firing rate and armor penetration.  Of course if they're not bringing too much firepower to bear, you also have the simple option of killing the rest of their fleet first while they dance around.  A lone phase ship does not fare well against a fleet of infinite cover fire.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 02:36:29 AM »

Pilums don't need to catch phase ships. Phase ships are immensely distracted by them and can't do anything while in Pilum saturated area, eventually losing by CR. Of course, Pilums have crap missile hp, so even minimum PD may be able shoot them down.

Spamming interceptors is still better, especially Sparks.
How many pilums are you talking about here? A single dominator with 3 pilums isn't going to be able to distract 1 phase ship never mind 2 or more. How many do you need to saturate an area with pilum? It surely isn't neccessary to compeltely change your fleet just to counter phase ships, especially when you can do so without waiting for them to run out of CR. Unless you happen to have the ships and weapons available for pilum spam, but no carriers or LPC or energy weapons and already present somehow.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 03:27:49 AM »

Supression. Pilums are good but they are slow. Salamanders+Locusts are better. Fighters are good too but there is always a problem with carriers. Many of them can just got overrun. Dooms and Shades you know...

Continuous firing weapons. HIL works like charm but there is only that much of the ships with large rotating energy mounts. For a more common solution there is an Assault Chaingun. You only need to outrange an Antimatter Blaster.

Omni or 360 degree shields. Self explanatory.

Good burst PD. IPDAI. ECM.

Solar shielding. Resistant Flux Conduits. Automated Repair Unit.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 03:33:27 AM »

How many do you need to saturate an area with pilum?
With the new stats, 8-10 launchers is enough to start the ball rolling. 16-20 launchers is what you should be aiming for as a minimum if you want a death carpet.
Pila really don't work well at all small scale.

And yes, you do need to build around doing this.
And yes, it is effective against everything.
And no, it's not 'optimal' for anything. Other than watching missileworms wiggle about like explosive spaghetti.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 03:45:21 AM »

I find that phase ships usually just flux themselves out and have to retreat when faced with point defence most of the time.

Any fighter or interceptor will murder them outright, on their own. As if they don't have strike weapons like torpedoes or AM blasters they can't sit still for long enough before chickening out into phase space.

The only ones that I fear are ones that can do stuff to support the normal part of the fleet by flanking or powers, or the DOOMSLAYER who can spawn star-fortress mines wherever it chooses and has enough armour to take a hit or two before going down.

Otherwise they are just frigates/destroyers without shields and twice as skiddish.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.
Pages: [1] 2