Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Small ships, battle sizes, fleet limits  (Read 13416 times)

AgentFransis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Small ships, battle sizes, fleet limits
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2019, 01:01:24 AM »

I feel like no one is taking into account the deploy left/right that frigates can do, its super useful for running down the tankers and cargo ships on pursuit phases.

Pretty useless if you ask me.
Tankers and cargo ships never have bounties on them, so it's usually wasted effort to hunt them down after you've taken down the main fleet. I never bother to pursue.
You're wrong. Those carry most of the fuel and supplies, and if doing piracy the merchandise.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2019, 01:08:39 AM »

Sometimes I think the entire Hyperspace mechanic could be changed into something more automated and less tedius. Of course, that would mean less manual control and jinking.

Basically, instead of flying manually, you set a course on the big map trough a series of waypoints. Time travel is 4x during this phase, so slow burn speeds are not that big of an issue. Once you reach a system, you pick which hyperpspace jump point you want to use. From there on the game continues as normal. Basically, hyperspace would be navigated trough the big map, the "normal" view wouldn't exist for it. Far less details nd images to track and would speed the game up.

But hyperspace is a completely separate topic... well, mostly, it's kinda related to ship balance, but let's try to keep on point here.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2019, 01:12:43 AM »

Kind of off topic for the OP, but some games have handled that balance really, really well. Guild Wars in particular had a design where fast travel was only available after you made the journey once "the hard way." After that, you could travel in between towns instantly, but plenty of things required venturing into the wild, still. It somehow rode that very fine line between immersion through feeling the world was alive while still maintaining late game convenience for the player.

My only complaint, actually, was that they often broke their own rule in regards to missions. Missions sometimes would warp you to the next mission or town through story plot. As long as the distance traveled made sense from an immersion standpoint I was fine with it (so, as you traveled through the land in between the two places during the mission. This was good and served to present two or more routes between two points), but sometimes it didn't make sense and you'd even completely change environments through "behind the scenes travel". That felt off when it happened.

I can't see that working in SS, but something similar might be possible. Any kind of fast travel would have to simulate your travel and enemy intercept attempts.

You're wrong. Those carry most of the fuel and supplies, and if doing piracy the merchandise.

MEh. Honestly don't see much worth. Usually the supply cost of deploying ships is greater than what I can get, and the main fleet that I blew up is probably going to yield far mroe salvage. Furthermore, it's far more lucrative to do bounties and cargo errands from bars. Piracy is pocket change.

DrPhat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2019, 01:17:35 AM »

MEh. Honestly don't see much worth. Usually the supply cost of deploying ships is greater than what I can get, and the main fleet that I blew up is probably going to yield far mroe salvage. Furthermore, it's far more lucrative to do bounties and cargo errands from bars. Piracy is pocket change.

Do not forget procurement of organics to Chicomoztoc for 1m credits. One of the cheapest commodities and easiest to source. As well as pirate procurement to the same planet for fuel for 750k
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 01:20:19 AM by DrPhat »

AgentFransis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2019, 03:49:52 AM »

If you're often deploying more than the supplies you get back then you're either overdeploying or it's because you don't chase the freighters (which you can auto-resolve by the way). Piracy can be very lucrative but you generally need to be committed to the playstyle. Try a salvage/build only pirate (or Blade Breaker) run, it's very fun.

Hudenagyon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2020, 11:37:05 AM »

*thread necromancy ensues*

Im in the late game for my first playthrough in vanilla and it occured to me, that biggest ships are not worth it in the long run.

Im running a bunch of Heron carriers in my fleet and recently got the Astral blueprints. So here is the thing: 1 Heron costs 20 points to deploy and can bring 3 wings of flyboys and some point defense to the table. The Astral costs 45 points to deploy and brings 6 wings + little firepower + point defence. As I see it I cant put enough boom on my Astral to justify its deployment instead of 2 Heron class carriers.
Besides I can build and pimp out a lot more Herons for the cost of one Astral.

Battleships are okay I guess, but I only run and deploy them when absulotely necessary, like when hunting Remnant Ordos. Thoughts?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2020, 01:15:57 PM »

Astral ship system is nutty strong with bombers, I pretty much leave 75% of the weapons empty to fit the best bombers. Definitely better than two herons. Putting interceptors on the astral is a criminal waste.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]