Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Colonizing Core Systems  (Read 4225 times)

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Colonizing Core Systems
« on: October 10, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »

I have spent the last little bit clearing out the Hegemony from some rather choice real estate. I have let the sit fallow for some time to clear out any detrimental effects from the eviction, and am now ready to colonize them. Unfortunately the systems now say they are claimed by the independents, who I am very friendly with. I tried to get a commission with them but that option does not seem to exsist (forum posts indicate that is possible, but the wiki does not include them in the list of commission giving factions).  Is there a way for me to keep them in the system without *** them off? I know they have some behavioral differences from the other "more normal" factions, does that include not getting *** off about co-colonization, despite what the flavor text says? I wold even be willing to take a rep hit, but only if it is temporary. . .

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colonizing Core Systems
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 03:49:51 AM »

You cannot get a commission with them unless you use mods. Other than that I don't know the answer to your questions. Some systems start of as independent owned, like one of the Luddic Church systems, which is odd to say the least.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 06:03:30 AM »

I'm more curious that you managed to purge a core world, yet still have any remaining positive relations to worry about. Isn't planet bombing kind of a war crime?

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 06:05:24 AM »

I'm more curious that you managed to purge a core world, yet still have any remaining positive relations to worry about. Isn't planet bombing kind of a war crime?

Decivilization is a thing, keep the planet Destabilised for years and the planet becomes decivilised

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 06:09:11 AM »

Decivilization is a thing, keep the planet Destabilised for years and the planet becomes decivilised
I dunno. Tearing apart a planet piece by piece to ensure that everyone dies somehow seems more evil than dropping a few bombs from orbit.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 06:13:50 AM »

It is fairly trivial to grind up rep by letting pirates raid and infest a system then clean up after a bounty gets posted.  I have went from vengeful to inhospital with indies only after one or two system bounties.

Also, if you have a bunch of gamma or beta cores sitting around collecting dust, you can turn them in to any faction except pirates for money and rep.

Sat bombing gets the job done now if you cannot wait for decivilization and do not mind adding Polluted if the world was Habitable.

I dunno. Tearing apart a planet piece by piece to ensure that everyone dies somehow seems more evil than dropping a few bombs from orbit.
The game does not think so.  If you want to avoid losing rep, decivilizing the world is the way to go.  If you cannot wait, just sat bomb the world then fix rep after you finish your murder spree.

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 08:32:02 AM »

So no one knows if the independents employ "legal" saturation bombing in "their" systems?

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 01:50:58 PM »

Now this may be inaccurate because I use Nex, but from what I've seen, you can either pay a massive tribute, half your colony's growth and cap its max size... or you can tell them to shove it, then give them credits to not saturation bomb you.

Which is less than the tribute demanded.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 01:55:18 PM »

Tribute mechanic is from Nexerelin. I didn't know that territorial expeditions can be bought off, though. I expected you always have to fight them.
The difference is that over the duration of a cycle or two, it's possible to get off the planet before it turns into a hellhole.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 02:21:29 PM »

So no one knows if the independents employ "legal" saturation bombing in "their" systems?
Yes they do!  Independents, and pirates for that matter, can claim core systems they dominate and try to sat bomb player colonies out of their system.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 08:56:19 PM »

As Megas says, indies do send territorial expeditions (except in Nexerelin where I turned that off).

Territorial expeditions can be bribed IIRC.
If not, pump growth incentives into the new colony, and keep killing any sat bomb fleet that spawns, until the colony reaches size 5 (it won't be targeted for territorial expeditions then).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:41:37 AM by Histidine »

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 05:27:45 AM »

So essentially, you can just set up the colony in a claimed system and the only thing you have to worry about is bribing, or killing expedition fleets for -5 rep, and wait till it is size 5 for no real detriment whatsoever?

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 10:28:31 AM »

Ok, I tested this myself. I gathered up enough cash and materials to blitz the system; six colonies set up as fast as I could fly between the planets (I figured if I was going to sit and babysit I would get the most value out of the time. . . ). I decided to forgo any econ development until I had a system that could take care of itself, so my build order for each colony was patrol HQ>High Tech Station>Ground Batteries. I upgraded the Patrol HQ on 5 of the 6 planets first, so that was their first industry.

The Independents did send a (single) bombing expedition, but that arrived *after* I had my first two HQs upgraded to "military base" (they finished 10 days before they were scheduled to arrive in system). I camped right next to the targeted colony and never saw the expedition; it got jumped as soon as it got there and was wiped out (-5 rep, nothing I cannot make up later).

There have been no other expeditions yet, and my colonies are now nearing size 5. I am now working on econ to make them super profitable.

It is my understanding is that is the cutoff for generating bombing fleets, but even if it is not they are more than capable of handling themselves now, what with having high commands and battlestations (soon to be star fortresses as soon as I can scrape together the cash, building six colonies at ones if a bit of a drain on resources as they all wind up needing about the same things at about the same time).

I am off gathering AI cores to help things along, and I will not be rushing back even if the system is targeted.

Thanks everyone for the help, I felt confident enough in this course of action I did not even make a backup of the save file to test with.