Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Should I be using Resistant Flux Conduits?  (Read 1816 times)

IAmLegion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Should I be using Resistant Flux Conduits?
« on: October 08, 2019, 01:15:06 PM »

The Ai has really bat habits when it comes to venting.  Does RFC make them vent more reliably? 

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Should I be using Resistant Flux Conduits?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »

It makes venting faster when they decide to vent.  Also reduces EMP damage.  I do not know if AI is aware of faster venting.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 01:36:56 PM »

I'd also like to know if there's a slight change in AI behaviour. But as far as I've seen, it doesn't make a difference honestly. Ai is still hesitant to vent close to danger, especially when something has HE missiles around them. It usually vents when it backs away, or when it's in an absolute mess of a situation so the only option is vent (although it can screw up even more this way). That said faster venting does provide a benefit, but I'd still put something else or just max dissipation however you can (for AI ships obviously).
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 01:45:15 PM »

(It's aware of the modified venting duration, yeah. Though not in a qualitative sense, i.e. if something reduced vent duration by 99%, that would have implications beyond the AI's ability to consider. But more "normal" vent duration modifications, it will handle.)

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 09:39:23 PM »

I would expect, given Alex's comment, that Resistant Flux Conduits makes the AI more likely to active vent once out of danger.  Too often I've seen the AI back away, drop shields briefly, and then return to combat before its flux is even fully cleared.  If the AI became 25% more likely to active vent just in general, that would be a pretty significant buff.

RFC is ALWAYS worth taking on a player ship, unless you are using SO since that disables active vents.  Since you will probably do almost all of your hard flux venting with active venting (and most soft flux too when you can), that 25% increased rate makes a pretty big difference.  The EMP resistance is just the icing on top, allowing you to completely ignore salamanders in most situations and therefor skip point defenses entirely at least for your player ship, which in turn pays for the RFC mod by itself.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »

Too often I've seen the AI back away, drop shields briefly, and then return to combat before its flux is even fully cleared.

That's very common problem. Faster ships are more likely to do this, Odyssey or Shrike are pretty much guaranteed due to their system.

As I see it, AI initiates approach as soon as flux is below about 25%. AI doesn't take approach duration (whether it will be able to dissipate in process), flux type (soft flux would be generally safer) and whether there is a reason to rush (there isn't if enemy will be at 0 flux by the time you are done, but keeping threat up to prevent enemy vent can be a valid reason) into account.