Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Allow us to set what is legal in our territory  (Read 5006 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Allow us to set what is legal in our territory
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:56:41 AM »

Currently all the other factions have their own list of illegal commodities.
The player, however, has no control over it. If they want to sell harvested organs or recreational drugs, their only option seems to be to turn on Free Port, which is/should be a separate thing.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Allow us to set what is legal in our territory
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 07:31:27 AM »

Currently all the other factions have their own list of illegal commodities.
The player, however, has no control over it. If they want to sell harvested organs or recreational drugs, their only option seems to be to turn on Free Port, which is/should be a separate thing.

that's actually a good sugestion, Independent's aredy vary what they think is illegal from system to system, why can't the player do this as well

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 09:40:03 AM »

Freeport only does so much you're right a little bit more freedom in what is legal and what is illegal on your colonies would help a lot with realism. hopefully the next update after the story points is something about the economy the sectors economy actually feels alive while you're just a Smuggler / Trader but once you have three or four colonies you realize that the economy is just programmed to do predictable movements.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »

Independents don't have variable illegal commodities, it's just that freeport sets organs and drugs (and presumably other illegal goods, if there are more, besides AI core) as legal, and there are some independent planets with freeport on.
As for the original suggestion, I don't think it's going to be much better than current system, purely because outlawing commodities doesn't change anything, save for not getting money from exporting outlawed goods. Player-facing choice would be "do I want to make money off this commodity, or not?", with the answer being "yes" all the time, besides two most disliked commodities (organs and drugs). The economy just isn't complex enough for this choice to be meaningful.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 12:11:31 PM »

Independents don't have variable illegal commodities, it's just that freeport sets organs and drugs (and presumably other illegal goods, if there are more, besides AI core) as legal, and there are some independent planets with freeport on.
As for the original suggestion, I don't think it's going to be much better than current system, purely because outlawing commodities doesn't change anything, save for not getting money from exporting outlawed goods. Player-facing choice would be "do I want to make money off this commodity, or not?", with the answer being "yes" all the time, besides two most disliked commodities (organs and drugs). The economy just isn't complex enough for this choice to be meaningful.
Exporting illegal goods is (supposedly) one of the causes of expeditions. Of course, it always seems to be lumped in with Free Port, and I've never had a Hegemony expedition from Heavy Weapons, so take that with a pinch of salt.

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:31:12 PM »

I think the idea of "free port" needs to be expanded into this suggestion. No longer would it be just a "trade all goods" button combined with growth incentives/stability modifier, but it would become a "select legal trade goods" button. This would impact profits, growth rates and reputation with other factions, based on their access rating with that colony.

Every time a faction received legal (to you and to them) goods from your colony there would be a chance for your reputation to slightly improve. Whenever they received a shipment of goods legal to you but illegal to them there would be a slight chance for reputation to decrease.

And that is just the most basic implementation. I would love to see a more detailed system that let you set "locally produced/used legal", "import legal", "export legal" and "all legal", with various impacts associated with each. And these effects should be unique to each good (e.g. allowing export of harvested organs should increase profits, but actually decrease population growth and stability, whereas only allowing their import or local use should decrease profits but increase population growth. Allowing local use but not exports should lessen the rep hit for black market exports to another faction, but not eliminate them, whereas making a good 100% illegal in a colony should eliminate reputation hits with another faction even if illegal trade is still technically happening)

"accessibility" would no longer be tied directly to the "port status", but instead would be dynamically attached to how "desirable" your port looks to traders based on your market settings. Not having a good set as legal to trade in some way would not have a huge impact if traders were not looking for that good from your colony, but could have a much larger impact if they were (e.g. why would they care if raw ore is or is not legal at your port if your port doe not produce or sell that commodity? on the other hand your colony does produce a lot of drugs, so making those illegal will mean they are likely to look elsewhere for a less risky supply)

And tying into that mechanic, the player should be able to set the tariffs on individual commodities too, both coming and going. This would impact access as well, as it too would dictate the desirability of merchants to trade at your port.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 04:18:04 AM »

Is there a reason to set anything to illegal? All illegal goods do is reduce your profits. It seems fair enough that it is tied to free port, since the illegal goods are nominally restricted becuase they would affect society and hence stability.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 06:06:26 AM »

If nearly half of growth bonuses did not come from Free Port, I might consider not using Free Port.  After all, if I am willing to kill all of core (which kills all export income), I could take reduced profits from not selling illegals as long as demand is met.  As it is, I turn on Free Port as soon as my colonies can defend against raids.  I want big colonies, ideally size 10, and I do not want to wait forever for my colonies to grow bigger than size 5 or 6.

Commodity legality as toggled by Free Port takes a back seat to population growth.

That said, as long as I get income from exports, I would not add additional illegal items and reduce profits.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »

There is currently NO in game reason to have only some commodities illegal.  Either you turn free port off and make them all illegal to avoid raids, or you turn it on and get raids.  Making some commodities illegal would still get you raided, but without all the full benefits.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »

There is currently NO in game reason to have only some commodities illegal.  Either you turn free port off and make them all illegal to avoid raids, or you turn it on and get raids.  Making some commodities illegal would still get you raided, but without all the full benefits.
As mentioned before, narratively trading illegal goods can cause expeditions, although as said, I've never seen it alone cause an expedition.

Free Port would encourage growth, and expeditions.
Making goods legal would encourage profit, and expeditions.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »

There's a bit of oddness in that you only start producing the illegal goods after a certain colony size. If illegal goods is what produces expeditions, then the Luddic Church should be throwing expeditions at everyone as they have luxury goods as illegal goods.

Czyrek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 02:37:46 PM »

Technically the player accessible market(s) in your territory are independent faction and do not belong to you (or you'd be collecting on that sweet sweet 30% tariff.) It would be nice to have a faction and military market (if you had a military base) which generated ships and weapons based on your prioritized ships/weapons/fighters

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 04:20:34 AM »

You kind of already do if you build a Commerce industry, and have heavy industry.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 06:05:53 AM »

You kind of already do if you build a Commerce industry, and have heavy industry.
That is what it looks like to me.  The few times I built Commerce (and Heavy Industry), and browse Open Market on my colonies, I found Paragons and other priority ships for sale.  It was still mostly civilian junk, but few military ships usually leaked through.

I kind of wish military weapons would show up in Open Market at my colonies.  Yes, I can build them, but if I buy something from markets at my colonies, it is because I want that item now despite increased cost and do not care to wait until end-of-month for it, not unlike restoring a ship instead of waiting to build another.

If we have Open Market at our colonies, add Military Market too if we have Military Base built too.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 12:48:50 PM »

Technically the player accessible market(s) in your territory are independent faction and do not belong to you (or you'd be collecting on that sweet sweet 30% tariff.) It would be nice to have a faction and military market (if you had a military base) which generated ships and weapons based on your prioritized ships/weapons/fighters

You do collect that sweet 30% tariff. That is where your income comes from
Pages: [1] 2