Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best ship with automated ship recovery- Scintilla  (Read 3756 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Best ship with automated ship recovery- Scintilla
« on: October 06, 2019, 12:52:38 AM »

Despite Radiant being the most powerful battleship, the fact that player can’t pilot it and how AI doesn’t pilot battleships very well, and the Radiant will only go up to 40%CR, make me think that star of the next release will be the Scintilla.

Ai controls carriers very well, and Scintilla being mounted with phase recall to double bomber DPS, as well as having a medium mount to equip Pilum for suppression, means that it will act as the equivalent of a 20 point Heron in a 12 point package.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:54:51 AM by goduranus »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Best ship with automated ship recovery- Scintilla
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:58:55 AM »

Bomber carriers are all about concentrating largest strike. Heron does it with system, Astral simply has largest complement. Scintilla can repeat it's strikes quickly due to recall system, but they won't be particularly powerful.
Useable - yes, overpowered - no I don't think so. Unless Drover gets nerfed hard and removed as competititor, it will remain the best carrier DE.

Radiant is actually the easiest capital for AI to pilot. Not only is it strong, AI also makes better use of it than any other direct combat capital. Still, 40% CR is significant enough problem to make it potentially unviable.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 05:18:40 AM »

Scintilla is the only other AI ship besides Radiant that I may be interested in, only because of Recall Device.  Recall Device means bombers are not bleeding rates on their return trip.

Radiant will still be my first pick, if its stats stay as they are.  Radiant is overpowered, none of the other Remnant ships are so annoying to take down when fighting them.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 05:39:42 AM »

Something needs to distract for the Scintilla's bombers unless you are mixing broadswords into the Scintilla's fighter bays, which strikes me as somewhat inefficient. So you'll probably end up getting something like Drovers to support them, which somewhat counters the notion that it would be vastly more DP efficient than normal.

Also where are you getting this "only go up to 40% CR" business from?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 05:51:30 AM »

Something needs to distract for the Scintilla's bombers unless you are mixing broadswords into the Scintilla's fighter bays, which strikes me as somewhat inefficient. So you'll probably end up getting something like Drovers to support them, which somewhat counters the notion that it would be vastly more DP efficient than normal.
Astral seems to work fine with only bombers.  Why would Scintilla be any different?

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 05:56:33 AM »

Thanks. Looking at the blog posts, it looked possible to get it to 50% CR.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 05:57:36 AM »

Something needs to distract for the Scintilla's bombers unless you are mixing broadswords into the Scintilla's fighter bays
Would this even work since drone ships cannot carry crew, and standard fighters have crew requirements?
Given how well covered all the bases are in this game, I'd have thought that the automated carriers will almost certainly have a drone-only restriction on thier selection of fighters.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 06:14:11 AM »

If drone ships can only use drone fighters, then the only bomber the Scintilla can use would be the Flash wouldn't it? I can't think of any other drone bomber. I naturally assumed you would be able to use other fighters, otherwise I would say that the Scintillla is kind of bad, unless there is something special about the Flash that I don't know about.

Astral seems to work fine with only bombers.  Why would Scintilla be any different?
Fighter bay amount for concentration of firepower during bombing runs. Even so, Astrals do perform a lot better if you take just one Broadsword, if you have no other source of fighter bays in your fleet.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 06:17:53 AM by Plantissue »

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 06:16:55 AM »

Something needs to distract for the Scintilla's bombers unless you are mixing broadswords into the Scintilla's fighter bays
Would this even work since drone ships cannot carry crew, and standard fighters have crew requirements?
Given how well covered all the bases are in this game, I'd have thought that the automated carriers will almost certainly have a drone-only restriction on thier selection of fighters.
Fighters have crew requirements?
EDIT: So they do. Not that it matters, as crew requirement is fleet based, not ship.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 06:18:25 AM »

Yes, they do. That's why Recovery Shuttle hullmod exists.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 08:04:23 AM »

No they don't right now, the fighter crew requirement only means how many crew you lose when a fighter get shot down.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 07:13:32 AM »

It's not the crew requirement that matters, but whether the Scintilla will be able to put non-drone fighters in their bays.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 07:24:38 AM »

I don't get where you're all getting this. Why would there be a limitation to that? It's not like you can't go over the crew capacity with other ships if the fighters die enough times. And you can already put high-tech fighters on low-tech ships and vice versa. It would be dumb to limit a carrier to 3,4 (don't know the exact number) fighter wings. I'm sure that won't be the case.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 08:14:22 AM »

I'm not getting it from anywhere. It was Serenitis's suggestion not mine that Scintilla may not be able to use non-drone fighters. But if it turns out that way, then it changes the worth of a Scintilla in the player's fleet drastically. Either way we don't know till we are the information is given or the next version is released.

Btw I am sure that you can go over the crew capacity with other ships if the fighters die enough times, otherwise why would an otherwise useless hullmod exist? If it doesn't the hullmod should be removed
Pages: [1] 2