Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9.1-RC8] Flagship modules don't inherit skills  (Read 777 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.9.1-RC8] Flagship modules don't inherit skills
« on: October 05, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »

While I used Console Commands & dependencies to confirm it, it appears that, at least for the player ship (and possibly others), piloted ship skills don't seem to apply to modules. I don't know if it works for AI ships (and stations) and I don't think I can reliably check it. I've checked it only in the simulator, but if that's the culprit, well, that's still a bug.
Thanks to Zym and others for bringing this issue up.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1-RC8] Flagship modules don't inherit skills
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 01:23:23 PM »

Hmm - as far as I can tell (just double-checked), it works for stations and for SHIP_WITH_MODULE-type ships.

... ah, I think I see - it looks like skills might not apply if one transfers command mid-battle to a ship with modules. Is that what you're seeing?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »

In this particular case: I had a character with no skills and I spawned a low-tech orbital station, put a couple of Mark IXs on it, then went into the simulator with the whole thing (including the empty hangar modules) and tested it against a Dominator, then put points into Ordnance Expertise 3 and Gunnery Implants 3 and tested it in the simulator again, and it seemed to do the same damage, despite the fact it should be 15% higher. I went here to ask you to confirm everything's fine, since battles are chaotic and it's hard to see what's going on exactly, while the tests I and other could do showed that something is wrong.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »

Odd! I just did the same thing and, to be sure, added:

stats.getArmorDamageTakenMult().modifyMult(id, 0.0001f);

to Impact Mitigation (which my char has). That properly reduced the damage taken by the orbital station's modules to near-zero. And I remember testing this way back and making sure it worked; in particular pretty extensive tests of various-level officers on stations where the power difference was impossible to miss/far too large to be confirmation bias on my part. Plus actual debugging to make sure the numbers were right and the stats were modified.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm fairly sure it works in the general case; wonder what's going on here. Is it possible that maaaaybe you didn't actually set your character as the station's captain? I've done that myself a few times and then thought a skill was bugged.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 01:55:45 PM »

Just fixed up the issue with transfer command not properly unapplying/reapplying skills to modules, btw - wouldn't have caught that if you hadn't brought this up; thank you!