Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Survivors!  (Read 2501 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
No Survivors!
« on: October 04, 2019, 08:46:49 AM »

It would make pursuit battles a lot more meaningful if there was some reward for destroying every ship. Perhaps lessening or removing rep penalties since there are no survivors to report your misdeeds? Maybe you would also need to be out of sensor range of all other fleets/stations of the faction as well.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: No Survivors!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 10:03:36 AM »

This would be pretty cool, and it could give the player some more control over reputation changes.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 10:50:14 AM »

While I like the idea, if it is to be fair, how would things like finishing bounties or missions work?  Whatever magic they use to reward the player for finishing or mission or bounty in the middle of nowhere, it makes sense for that same magic to work against the player when he kills off some NPCs.

I would think it would require witnesses and a comm relay, but it is clear some news are not bound by those limitations.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 11:05:56 AM »

While I like the idea, if it is to be fair, how would things like finishing bounties or missions work?  Whatever magic they use to reward the player for finishing or mission or bounty in the middle of nowhere, it makes sense for that same magic to work against the player when he kills off some NPCs.

I would think it would require witnesses and a comm relay, but it is clear some news are not bound by those limitations.

I presume you can report that you destroyed X's ship by posting logs showing that you destroyed X's ship.

But X would have a hard time posting logs showing that you destroyed his ship given that he has been destroyed.

The reason it happens instantly, i think, is to prevent players from having problems with bounties running out before their reported and stuff like that.

Witness/Relays would be super nice as a mechanic in terms of feel. Though there isn't a good way to implement them using the standard system as delayed reputation gain/losses are not ideal.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 11:09:51 AM »

But X would have a hard time posting logs showing that you destroyed his ship given that he has been destroyed.

The reason it happens instantly, i think, is to prevent players from having problems with bounties running out before their reported and stuff like that.

Could have some separate popup, like 'kill confirmed, payment upon reaching nearest relay'.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 11:11:20 AM »

Could have some separate popup, like 'kill confirmed, payment upon reaching nearest relay'.
Bring heavy metal to build new comm relay, transmit, profit!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 06:16:14 PM »

Bring heavy metal to build new comm relay, transmit, profit!

I will sometimes do this on groups of exploration missions - build a comm relay when you reach the far point of your journey, and if you are lucky more missions/bounties will pop up next door.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 06:44:32 PM »

You don't have anything to spend money on till you get back to the core worlds which have comm relays anyway*, so the instant rewards from bounties and scan/survey missions feels mostly like a measure to prevent player confusion.

*well, unless the player builds a colony in a location without a comm relay and starts adding industries

If we're arguing realism, there would be three possible states for rep loss from combat:
- System has working comm relay: rep loss no matter what you do, since the enemy fleet transmits distress signals and other information about the battle
- System has no comm relay, some enemies escape: rep loss due to survivors reporting back
- System has no comm relay, no enemies escape: reduced or no rep loss
  - Nonzero rep loss could result from rumors leaking from your crew
  - And if we want to overengineer this, the chance of such leaks is based on your fleet size/crew count

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »

maybe some of the enemy crew survived hiding in cryopods, and eventually gets picked up.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 05:49:28 AM »

In theory you can spend money in random pirate and pather bases along the way to the core worlds. You have to pay your crew monthly, despite their inability to spend their money on anything out in the wilderness. Getting no rep change from destroying every ship seems a bit "gamey". If you attack only because you expected to destroy every ship but do not, then you will feel like you failed. There's no reason why the attack couldn't had been broadcasted or recorded in data storage like flight recorders when the disappearance of a fleet is investigated.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 06:03:11 AM »

In theory you can spend money in random pirate and pather bases along the way to the core worlds. You have to pay your crew monthly, despite their inability to spend their money on anything out in the wilderness.

Actualy there is, destroyer size and above combat ships and big ships generally come with stores to keep the crew morale up, aka CR

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 06:21:59 AM »

Is that your own personal headcannon? If the crew are spending their money in my ships instead of whenever I dock, I expect the profits to be given back to me.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 06:37:54 AM »

If the crew are spending their money in my ships instead of whenever I dock, I expect the profits to be given back to me.
But why? They could be spending money on space netflix, or mailing space bitcoins to their families back home, or buying space burgers in the ship's spaceMcD's. Or they could be banking the money until they hit the next dock, you don't suddenly stop handing out paychecks because their current mission doesn't include a shopping mall.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 07:03:41 AM »

What's wrong with "conversion fees" or just outright payment? Someone is paying for the power and machinery cost set up for their space TV, space mail, and I certainly expect space fast food franchise to pay me for renting my precious floor space. No one have to spend their money on these, so why shouldn't I profit from my monopoly of provision? Until it all blows up.

Anyways, this is all heading towards made up justification. Supply is supposed to cover these sort of usages, but if crew are paying to use it, then it makes sense to recieve money from their usage. Since I do not, it is safe to assume that this does not occur.

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 12:57:50 PM »

You don't have anything to spend money on till you get back to the core worlds which have comm relays anyway*, so the instant rewards from bounties and scan/survey missions feels mostly like a measure to prevent player confusion.

*well, unless the player builds a colony in a location without a comm relay and starts adding industries

If we're arguing realism, there would be three possible states for rep loss from combat:
- System has working comm relay: rep loss no matter what you do, since the enemy fleet transmits distress signals and other information about the battle
- System has no comm relay, some enemies escape: rep loss due to survivors reporting back
- System has no comm relay, no enemies escape: reduced or no rep loss
  - Nonzero rep loss could result from rumors leaking from your crew
  - And if we want to overengineer this, the chance of such leaks is based on your fleet size/crew count

I heartily endorse this mechanic. Yes, the entire thing.

I would also love to see the payment made only on connection back to the comm network. We do not have to get complicated on the bounty expiration, there could be a lore note that say bounties are always valid so long as there is proof that the bounty was killed during the allotted time, and the player will carry around something akin to "survey data" about the kill until it is transmitted.
Pages: [1] 2