Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AI officer difficulty settings.  (Read 2716 times)

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
AI officer difficulty settings.
« on: October 03, 2019, 02:52:53 AM »

Another one topic by Sinigr  :o

As you see, some players are using officers settings to allow ai use officers in all ships, and setting their max level to 29. So what we have, now ai are more closer to player by power, in vanilla max AI level is 20, so it can have just 7 pilot skills, while player can have all skills, no balance as you see, modded officers can have 10 skills. Also, in vanilla max officers count in ai fleet is 10, so other ships whithout officers are so weak, it is too boring. All those changes are making battles more itneresting, you need to think how to fight, how to loadout your ship and so on, while in vanilla for some battles you can loadout random weapons whithout any understanding about it and it is enough to win, so, as you see it is boring.

So, Alex, i think it seems to be cool adding such setting throw interface, like battle size changing, so player should have opportunity to change officers difficalty at any time whithout need of starting new game. If he can not hunt it change back to vanilla settings, who want interesting game whith upgraded skill in one game set those settings up.

Also enhance station power, like tier 1 19 lvl, tier 2 24, and tier 3 29 lvl, it is station, it is should be stronger.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 05:29:06 AM by Sinigr »
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI officer difficulty settings.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 03:26:05 AM »

Player has fewer personal skills than officers, once you take all the necessary fleetwides. Still at least equal, because you can cherry-pick levels instead of taking full triples, but not much more than that.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 04:13:00 AM »

Player has fewer personal skills than officers, once you take all the necessary fleetwides. Still at least equal, because you can cherry-pick levels instead of taking full triples, but not much more than that.
Okey, lets look, we have 52 skill points at 50 level. 30 of them we use at combat branching (Missile Specialization is not needed), 6 points at Leadership for fleet logistics buff of 100% readiness, 12 points at technology, 48 already used skillpoints and have all needed skills for noncarier. 3 points more at Leadership for Fighter Doctrine if we use carriers, also officer management 1 lvl, or something else. If player is piloting carrier he should change some weapon skills by carriers skills. So, we have almost all individual skills, lets colculate: 11 skills, against vanilla 7, plus 3 important fleet skills, all other skills are not necessary. All other skill advantages are corrected by other game mechanics. Skills for colonies: andmin them by alfas. Need salvage: take more rigs. Need more fuel: take more tankers. Need more speed: take more tugs. Need more sensor range: install sensors on your's tankers. Need less detected range: make invincible or elusive fleet, so you do not care about detected range. Need money: hunt remnants and deliver cores to try-tachyon. Need more effectiveness of ground operation: take more marines or just use saturation bombardment. Need negative effects of lasting damage hullmods (D-mods) reduced by 50%: use paragons for game whitout losses, so without D-mods. Nees +25% chance to recover disabled ships after battle: hunt more to get what you want. Available explained?

Picture of used 52 skill points 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:17:01 AM by Sinigr »
Try to hunt it! ;)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 04:52:35 AM »

You are cutting too many fleetwides.
15 Leadership: 3 base, 3 officers, 3 logistics (+15% CR is 5% buff to all stats), 3 maneuvers, 3 fighters
10 Tech: 3 base, 1 EW, 3 Loadout, 3 Navigation (the only out-of-combat skill I pick)
3 for base combat.

Which leaves 24 for personal skills, 27 if you religiously take only in-combat skills. Well, I guess we are slightly superior to officers after max level was bumped to 50.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 05:11:59 AM »

15 Leadership: 3 base, 3 officers, 3 logistics (+15% CR is 5% buff to all stats), 3 maneuvers, 3 fighters
10 Tech: 3 base, 1 EW, 3 Loadout, 3 Navigation (the only out-of-combat skill I pick)
3 for base combat.

Which leaves 24 for personal skills, 27 if you religiously take only in-combat skills. Well, I guess we are slightly superior to officers after max level was bumped to 50.
as i said,1 EW, (EW i play with that skill, but without instaling ECM mode i have -20% weapon range, so that skill is useless) 3 maneuvers are not necessary, like full 3 lvl officers, in technology i got mistake, 12 skill points, yes, i had not include branch opening. I recolculated skill points, and added some picture with skills for visibility. There is no place for carrier skills and missles: solution: play battleships and use ai carriers. So, you can do without any other skills, as I mentioned earlier.
Try to hunt it! ;)

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 05:16:54 AM »

If I understand this right, you want the ability to arbitrarily change officer abilities and level caps? That's more of a creative mode mod than a difficulty setting. Making officers choose different skills is good for making them unique. If anything a lvl 20 cap may be too high since you start running out of abilities that matter to their role.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 05:24:23 AM by bobucles »

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 05:26:58 AM »

If I understand this right, you want the ability to arbitrarily change officer abilities and level caps? That's more of a creative mode mod than a difficulty setting. Making officers choose different skills is good for making them unique. If anything a lvl 20 cap may be too high.
It impruves AI power for more interesting battles. "If I understand this right, you want the ability to arbitrarily change officer abilities and level caps?" arbitrarily for new players who wants enhance AI power without starting new game, let that setting be choosen just while starting new game to absorb some abuse related to this. Also, as you see in my signature i am already playing with such AI officers, and stations 29 lvl, so hard interesting battles. I want just to make it like official difficulty setting, so that more people know this game mode.
Try to hunt it! ;)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 05:31:24 AM »

3 for base combat.

as i said,1 EW, (EW i play with that skill, but without instaling ECM mode i have -20% weapon range, so that skill is useless) 3 maneuvers are not necessary, like full 3 lvl officers, in technology i got mistake, 12 skill points, yes, i had not include branch opening. I recolculated skill points, and added some picture with skills for visibility. There is no place for carrier skills and missles: solution: play battleships and use ai carriers. So, you can do without any other skills, as I mentioned earlier.

Are you playing some minimalist battle-size? I play at 500.
EW 1 - enemy often doesn't have EW or doesn't outnumber me enough to get advantage (unless I give up capture points as well). Just add few distraction Omens if all else fails, they are DP-cheap.
Maneuvers 3 - literally no drawbacks +20% speed for all ships, what's not to like. Limiting to 1 will get only 10%.
Officers 3 - at battle-size 500 it's easy to find what to do with them.
Fighter Doctrine 3 - it's not personal skill. Unless your fleet has no carriers at all (which is bad idea, carriers are among best ships for AI to pilot) you want this.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 05:34:19 AM »

I'm more in favor of keeping player mechanics as similar as possible between difficulty selections. Giving the player super powered or feeble officers will offer different challenges for balance and skill synergies. It's a PITA for game design.

The difficulty setting only really needs to alter enemy officer levels. A hard difficulty may have lots of cheating officers that go above lvl 20, creating super difficult ships. An easy option will have few and low difficulty officers. The choices on the player end don't change, merely the height of the hurdles they face.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 06:08:19 AM »

3 for base combat.

Are you playing some minimalist battle-size? I play at 500.
EW 1 - enemy often doesn't have EW or doesn't outnumber me enough to get advantage (unless I give up capture points as well). Just add few distraction Omens if all else fails, they are DP-cheap.
Maneuvers 3 - literally no drawbacks +20% speed for all ships, what's not to like. Limiting to 1 will get only 10%.
Officers 3 - at battle-size 500 it's easy to find what to do with them.
Fighter Doctrine 3 - it's not personal skill. Unless your fleet has no carriers at all (which is bad idea, carriers are among best ships for AI to pilot) you want this.
I play 415, remnants have strong ECM, and paragon is bad for ECM because of it's 60 dp (while fighting other things i do not care about ECM). For 415 there are needed just 2 officers, maybe 2 more officers for ship changing (one more game mechanics, do not take small weak ships which need more officers, use just large battleships, so 1 lvl officers is enough), whith field 500 i have free 35 dp, some later i will think about what can i add for my 35 dp. Fighter doctrine (incuded in skill list), i had not include it like personal skill, 11 personal skills as i said, 9 in combat and 2 in technology.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:11:23 AM by Sinigr »
Try to hunt it! ;)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 07:09:08 AM »

You can play the game without a single combat skill or personal piloted ship skill.

Already people have different game experience and game balance issues because of being able to change battle size.

I suppose being able to recruit as many officers as you like could be fun and interesting, but your opening post is so rambling it's hard to see what your line of argument actually is.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 07:34:21 AM »

You can play the game without a single combat skill or personal piloted ship skill.

Already people have different game experience and game balance issues because of being able to change battle size.

I suppose being able to recruit as many officers as you like could be fun and interesting, but your opening post is so rambling it's hard to see what your line of argument actually is.
Goal is to give, a look at players skill, when balance is more pronounced, and understanding of game mechanics is more interesting, making thet system shown and unlocked for everyone. Also i want to see some official difficulty system that should divide players for groups, like in space rangers, some are playing at 100%, some at 200%.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:55:41 AM by Sinigr »
Try to hunt it! ;)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 03:56:13 PM »

Goal is to give, a look at players skill, when balance is more pronounced, and understanding of game mechanics is more interesting, making thet system shown and unlocked for everyone. Also i want to see some official difficulty system that should divide players for groups, like in space rangers, some are playing at 100%, some at 200%.
If your concern is to divide up player skill (not sure why you would want that), a simple increase in damage taken would be enough.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 04:21:52 PM »

If your concern is to divide up player skill (not sure why you would want that), a simple increase in damage taken would be enough.
You say about simple damage taken, i say about unique skill advantures.
Try to hunt it! ;)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 02:58:08 AM »

I am sorry, but it seems I am not sophisticated enough to understand you. Perhaps you can try rephrasing that so someone as ignorant as I can understand.
Pages: [1] 2