Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Module for future remnants ships under player's control.  (Read 6381 times)

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
Module for future remnants ships under player's control.
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:50:57 AM »

So, Alex, you are going to give skill to capture remnants ships, and you say that there is no living plase in their ships so there is no option to set an officer, just ai cores, so should player have option to control it? If not, should be some hullmod, like command center, just mod with life supporting system to allow player control of future captured radiant.
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Module for future remnants ships under player's control.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 04:59:12 AM »

This was already discussed in the blog post thread, and he said that Remnant ships would be too overpowered in player's hands. Piloting a Radiant would make all other capitals in game feel absolutely useless. And they also have lower DP costs than other ships of same strength. But anything can change by the time the update comes, maybe there'll be a way to somehow pilot them.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 05:04:43 AM »

This was already discussed in the blog post thread, and he said that Remnant ships would be too overpowered in player's hands. Piloting a Radiant would make all other capitals in game feel absolutely useless. And they also have lower DP costs than other ships of same strength. But anything can change by the time the update comes, maybe there'll be a way to somehow pilot them.
Paragon already made all other capitals absolutely useless, except astral, best cerrier for rapid fire support, (also odyssey is not bad ship because of it's cool modility and capacitors, vents) and i am not shure that radiant will be better than paragon for me.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:27:36 AM by Sinigr »
Try to hunt it! ;)

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 05:30:50 AM »

I don't see any problem with keeping AI ships out of player hands by and large. They are not designed for humans, have no love for humans and the hull maintenance routines need dangerous levels of intelligence to work properly.

With the "story point" system in the works, it does make sense to allow the player to pick up remnant ships due to "story reasons". Maybe a particular AI doesn't really hate humanity, or a hull "defect" ended up making actual human accommodations. It's a perfectly reasonable way to place rare resource points as a way of flavoring up the campaign.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 05:36:48 AM »

Paragon already made all other capitals absolutely useless, except astral, best cerrier for rapid fire support, (also odyssey is not bad ship because of it's cool modility and capacitors, vents) and i am not shure that radiant will be better than paragon for me.
My dude, Radiant is better in almost every way, it's not even a competition. There's a mod that makes Remnant ships playable, take it out for a spin and see for yourself instead of blindly saying it's nothing special.
Please don't take me too seriously.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 05:42:33 AM »

Or you could just edit it into one of missions to play with. Radiant is the best capital. It has raw flux and shield stats of Paragon combined with best mobility of all capitals, all for only 40DP.
Just try 5x Autopulse , 4x Grav build - it grinds anything short of Paragon into paste (and has some problems with player-piloted Sniper Conquest due to being too timid).

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 07:39:46 AM »

It is just suggestion, if you do not want to use radiant you should not do that.
Try to hunt it! ;)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 08:22:21 AM »

If remnant ships are overpowered in player's hands (only true for exactly Radiant), why not just nerf them when recovered? Remove some weapon mounts, reduce skimmer to 2 charges and say those are lasting battle damage that can't be restored.

Not being able to pilot just feels really bad, especially since is has been waited for for such a long time. I want to DO cool things, not WATCH friendly AI do cool things, dammit :(.

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 08:47:34 AM »

I've got really good with my 14th Legion battle group so I'm probably not changing. all these new ships are just going to be repaired and added to my collection of ships. that being said if I go up against three Remnant battleships  it's going to be tough I went up against five once and I barely survived and ran back to my home world. The Remnant Fleet is not to be taken lightly in groups of two let alone 4.

An since the remnant Battleship doesn't actually exist  in records of the Hegemony maybe someone with Deep Pockets offers to buy it off of you if you sell it to him your relationship with the hegemony takes a 25-point hit and your relationship with Tri-Tachyon it goes up 10 points because you made the hegemony look bad

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »

I would not want to pilot the X-shaped frigate (Lumen?).  Basically Scarab without the Temporal Shell.  The other frigate (Glimmer) is basically classic omni-shield Wolf without the skimmer.  Not impressed with Fulgent, it feels like energy Enforcer.  Scintilla seems good, acting like mini-Astral with recall.  Brilliant seems like an evil Apogee, although player can kite-and-snipe with Maulers and Gauss.  Radiant is the crown jewel.  It I want automated ships, Radiant is what I want.  It seems overpowered at 40 DP, probably should cost more.  The other Remnants are only overpowered due to increased PPT; they probably could win just by stalling until the enemy runs out of CR first.  If not for PPT, Radiant ships aside from Radiant seem no more overpowered than the best human ships.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »

I can see both the Remnant Destroyers being regarded as the best destroyers, taking the crown of best combat destroyer and best carrier destroyer. However unless something on the campaign map has changed, by the time you are fighting them you probably don't want to recover destroyers. Though I suppose since them and the Brilliant have +1 burn speed compared to normal, they will be brilliant for fleets that want to maintain that burn speed.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think the design of the Brilliant seems a bit out of place and doesn't visually fit visually with the rest of the other remnants?

Boris Megalev

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »

what if you can get an AI officer from quest reward that commands 1 ship it cannot be sold and if the hedge gets a wiff of it they will try and destroy it at all costs. I think it would be a good tri tach final quest reward!

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »

I think a lot of players explained why Radiant is a beast, but did not do a good job explaining why Radiant is so much more powerfull than the crewed Battleships, including Paragon, the reason is because every crewed Battleship in game is based around the Pre-Dreadnought Battleships, not the true Dreadnoughts, Pre-Dreadnoghts have multiple small guns, some medium guns and few large guns, while Dreadnoughts have multiple smal pds, few to none medium guns and the maximum amount of big guns as possible, while also being as armored as the Pre-Dreadnoughts and  as fast as the slowest of the Heavy Cruisers, which became the Battlecruisers, and as it's real life counterpart the HMS Dreadnought, just made all of the other Battleships of it's time obsolet in one single day and temporaly making Brazil stronger than Germany, France and Italy combined.

Some would also say all I said is a abstraction after the Dreadnoughts became uselles, but it's not, the HMS Dreadnought designers aredy knew that if it did do all it was expected to do, it would just make the entire Royal Navy and it's contemporary Navys obsolete

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 04:36:06 PM »

Right, yeah - the Remnant ships are kind of OP for their size; not universally, but they generally are better in some aspect or break some general rule - such as, say, the Brilliant having access to ballistics where normal high-tech ships wouldn't to that degree. The Radiant is definitely where the gap really opens up.

If remnant ships are overpowered in player's hands (only true for exactly Radiant), why not just nerf them when recovered? Remove some weapon mounts, reduce skimmer to 2 charges and say those are lasting battle damage that can't be restored.

It actually does get nerfed a bit - due to how the skill works, you'd only be able to get it up to a bit over 40% CR when captained by an Alpha Core.

Not being able to pilot just feels really bad, especially since is has been waited for for such a long time. I want to DO cool things, not WATCH friendly AI do cool things, dammit :(.

Ah, on the one hand, I hear you! But design-wise, it's just exactly that - the skill you pick when you want to watch friendly AI do cool things. Loosely, it's sort of the same kind of appeal as a pet class in an MMO. Plus, there's the whole "set an AI core to pilot it and configure its skills" aspect. So you're still doing cool things, it's just in a different vein.

If you want to do cool things more directly, the other Tech 5 skill, or the Combat 5 skills, or, heck, a bunch of the other skills, too, have got you covered.

That said: I could totally see some kind of very-OP-expensive-and-with-downsides "Command Module" hullmod that could be installed to make an automated ship pilotable. Gets a bit weird with the "install hullmod, make into flagship, remove hullmod" sequence, though; so more in the "potential neat idea" category rather than anything that's planned.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »

It actually does get nerfed a bit - due to how the skill works, you'd only be able to get it up to a bit over 40% CR when captained by an Alpha Core.

Hey! That makes no sense? Why would our alpha cores be weaker than their alpha cores?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4