Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question on prox mines  (Read 1204 times)

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
Question on prox mines
« on: September 30, 2019, 01:13:17 AM »

what are the use of these proximity mines, when i use wasp they just drop the mines at the back of my ships as they got out of their carrier then go in for their attack run???? and the mines just blow up after a while. SEEMs legit not very usefull at all even as anit fighter protection.

what about the dedicated proximity mine bombers do they function differently?

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Question on prox mines
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 01:23:52 AM »

They are good for anti fighter, they are very small and hard to see, but are reasonably effective for how much the wasps cost.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 02:42:01 AM »

Flash Bombers are also interesting anti-fighter option. Hard to use though, since they basically need to hit fighters accidentally while performing attack run on target ship.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 03:12:22 AM »

what are the use of these proximity mines, when i use wasp they just drop the mines at the back of my ships as they got out of their carrier then go in for their attack run???? and the mines just blow up after a while. SEEMs legit not very usefull at all even as anit fighter protection.

what about the dedicated proximity mine bombers do they function differently?
If they are dropping their bombs the moment they exit your ship, they are clearly programmed wrong.  What they should do is drop bombs when they detect enemy fighters nearby

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 05:16:53 AM »

I've never seen wasps throw their mines out the back of the ship but rather just in front. Maybe your carrier was moving quickly forward or was close to an ememy ship? I've never ever seen those proximity mines ever do anything worthy though.  Just random flak  explosions. Same with proximity Charge launcher. Both Wasps and proximity Charge Lauuncher seems a bit useless.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 08:41:50 AM »

Wasps are actually OP for their cost, mostly because of their prox charges. Giant AOE missile wiping on top of 0 crew PD laser swarms - way too good for 0 OP. Especially when Talons got an increase.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 08:54:55 AM »

Wasps cost 5 OP.  The only fighter that is free are Mining Pods.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 11:04:23 AM »

Wasps are actually OP for their cost, mostly because of their prox charges. Giant AOE missile wiping on top of 0 crew PD laser swarms - way too good for 0 OP. Especially when Talons got an increase.

You mean 5 OP, right?

I think Wasps are only effective at defense/interception (they are so fragile that they just kind of evaporate) so 5OP is ok. Their minefield is useful at defense/anti-fighter, but using a fighter slot almost purely for defense is a big trade-off.