Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Share you stories of terror and conquest!  (Read 668 times)

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Share you stories of terror and conquest!
« on: January 21, 2020, 01:47:28 PM »

I'm curious to see some stories from other players as well!  I have to share this one with someone.

Fleet Info: 1 Onslaught, 1 Dominator, 2 Heron's, 3 Drovers, 4-5 Hammerheads, 2 Enforcers, 3 Shepherds, 4 Wolf frigates.  + 3 Colossus and 2 Phaetons.

Last night my game which I thought was going to be simple turned out to be nearly the death of me.  The plan was to travel to 2 yellow stars about 15 light years southeast of the main system and explore then call it a night.  My session began with me heading to a Hegemony station to refuel and sell any junk I happen to have.

I was passing by a system in hyperspace when a smuggler goes flying pass me saying "running from pirate".  Nothing too unusual, I wasn't scared of your typical pirate fleet anymore thanks to my recently acquired capital ship. I pick up an unknown signal riding a storm, then another...and another...and another...  before I can hit the emergency thrust to take cover in nearby star I'm engaged by 4-5 pirate fleets full of Atlas Mk2s and assorted cruisers, destroyers and frigates.

Wide eyed I was wondering how I was going to fight off 80 ships. (wish I had enough sense to take a screenshot or record).  Taking up a defensive position my fleet somehow destroys enough to retreat.  Every single ship was at 0-5% CR and had been ordered to retreat.  All that was left was my Onslaught without it's missiles but enough flux and laser fire to burst down anything that got close.  My frigates finally got to join in the fight and went down to 0 CR as well but I could finally retreat.

This continued now with my 30% CR Onslaught having to fight alone against a bunch of incredibly annoying phase ships to get just enough points to retreat again and make it to a star.

I look up to see I've been fighting for 2 hours straight.  All and all I managed to to get away with my only lost bring 2 destroyed but salvaged hammerheads and 2 lost wolf frigates plus a 2000+ supply repair bill ^_^

Maybe the onslaught isn't the best ship but god I love this thing.  After purchasing and refitting another Dominator to give my fleet more punch I had to sign off due to fatigue.

Edit: Heres to hoping I actually make it to those two yellow stars today!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 01:58:38 PM by DDwarrirofire »

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
Re: Share you stories of terror and conquest!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 06:49:42 PM »

I was heading back to my main colony star system (around 5 colonized planets ranging from size 5-8, all with High command and star fortress) with my 2 Paragon 2 Astral 1 Odyssey 2 apogee 2 drover fleet when I encountered a gigantic space battle between 7 huge pirate fleets (with underworld mod too so they aren't a joke), 3 large Sindrian fleets, 1 small tri tachyon fleet (TT was brutalized after I accidentally deciv'd Culann) and 1-2 of my factions detachments (total ships was around 600). I was engaged by a stray pirate fleet while trying to transverse jump into the safety of the star system and ended up destroying over 200 ships in a 1 hour battle. Didn't lose a ship due to the combat orders mod (really useful autoretreat for ships) but still incurred a huge supply repair bill. Filled my 10k cargo space with supplies though.