Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tech ruins randomly decreases structure build cost/time  (Read 1266 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Tech ruins randomly decreases structure build cost/time
« on: September 26, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »

“Your engineering team discovers various old space ports amidst the planet’s extensive ruins, and concludes that by making use of the existing landscaping and infrastructure, you can rebuild the planet’s space port network at a 50% reduced cost and time expenditure.”

Edit: how to implement really easy? Make these ruins as structures in the colony screen, and upgradable to proper functional structures.
It’s like Ruined Heavy Industry>Heavy Industry>Orbital Works
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 07:35:29 PM by goduranus »

SYDWAD

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Tech ruins randomly decreases structure build cost/time
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:29:14 AM »

makes sense, i would like it. Would play into what i was saying before about it being a gold mine if you find abandoned orbital structures like space hooks or space elevators instead of just a tech cache. Things like that should provide a buff or accessibility and possibly orbital works, maybe automatically add a upgrade to the nano-forge slot that you cant remove or something.

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »

I love this idea. +1

It could really add to the lore, and drive home that we really are living off the scraps of a vastly larger and more capable failed civilization by making it an integral part of the game mechanics.

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:44:08 AM »

I like the idea as well.  Ruins should shrink industry build time by a factor of the type of ruins.  I mean really.  if the Dominion has had a giant city on planet then some of it must be useful still for building things.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »

I like the idea as well.  Ruins should shrink industry build time by a factor of the type of ruins.  I mean really.  if the Dominion has had a giant city on planet then some of it must be useful still for building things.
I agree that it's a good idea, but from a realism perspective it's entirely possible for ruins to make things HARDER to build.  You have to demolish the old stuff (which takes time) in order to build new.  Renovating old buildings is often more expensive IRL.  From a gameplay perspective though it's a potentially fun mechanic (easier, not harder, harder would be unfun) that shouldn't be too hard to develop.

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 08:30:04 AM »

I like the idea and support it the only problem is you have to have it limited too maybe a few Industries mining, Refining, heavy industry and maybe a Megaport maybe if you're lucky and find a habitable planet with an already existing human population you can have a farm pop up to. there does need to be some form of balance still in this if you decide to rebuild this structure you lose the tech mining option causing you to lose out on Blueprints and possibly easy to get AI's cores.

this is something though for when the game is being polished just to add the extra layer of realism.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 08:32:15 AM »

I like the idea and support it the only problem is you have to have it limited too maybe a few Industries mining, Refining, heavy industry and maybe a Megaport maybe if you're lucky and find a habitable planet with an already existing human population you can have a farm pop up to. there does need to be some form of balance still in this if you decide to rebuild this structure you lose the tech mining option causing you to lose out on Blueprints and possibly easy to get AI's cores.

this is something though for when the game is being polished just to add the extra layer of realism.
Don't agree that it needs a balancing factor.  It's a fairly minor benefit in the long scheme of things and extremely random.  Farms are cheap though, so those not existing as "ruins" doesn't make any issues.

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 09:11:39 AM »

for me personally it seems like Tech mining is only profitable for 3 to 5 years after that returns just become garbage and you can wait three to five years just getting your Colony going before building the industry that is at a discount price.

also about the farms they are cheap but I am a penny-pincher LOL.

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 09:30:38 AM »

I agree that it's a good idea, but from a realism perspective it's entirely possible for ruins to make things HARDER to build.  You have to demolish the old stuff (which takes time) in order to build new.  Renovating old buildings is often more expensive IRL.  From a gameplay perspective though it's a potentially fun mechanic (easier, not harder, harder would be unfun) that shouldn't be too hard to develop.

That's a good point.  Wonder how reuseable "Future" tec might get.  A fallout like desert world with industry made of old world junk. 

Wound nature ravage things on a barren world?  Can't imagine ruins lasting long on volcanic or ocean worlds.