Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please switch Bomb to MISSILE  (Read 1289 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Please switch Bomb to MISSILE
« on: September 24, 2019, 08:37:19 AM »

...for the internal consistency children, things that have .PROJ w/ BOMB/ROCKET/MISSILE missileTypes should use MISSILE as their WeaponType in their .WPN, please.

Yes, that's incredibly nit-picky.  But it took me 15 minutes to hunt down why a Bomber AI could sense "ammo empty" for torpedoes, but not bombs (they're BALLISTIC; leftovers from Ye Olden Days, when you could strap bombs on a Lasher)... and it means an extra boolean check per Bomber, lol.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Please switch Bomb to MISSILE
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »

Is it something to do with how ballistic bombs have no acceleration? The missile slot Proximity Charge accelerates a bit when it leaves the bomber I think.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 09:28:14 AM »

Nope, BOMB is just a ROCKET that has an Engine with zeroes in all values.  I think this is just legacy used-to-be-equipable stuff.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 10:11:08 AM »

Does that mean all missiles have no acceleration? Unlike normal weapons, they are totally unaffected by drift and all forward movement from the ship they are fired from?

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:11:00 PM »

No Xeno, that request / suggestion is not good as you are not looking at the whole picture. Let me explain :)

Scripts need to be able to look at projectiles and know *exactly* what they are by type. If folks make the change you mentioned? Many things will return as an instanceof GuidedMissileAI that *are not* actually one. And often times we need to know if something is a guided missile, or a rocket, or a bomb etc etc.

For too many reasons to list, but a short few examples would be jammers, missile engine flame-out thingies, custom autofire AIs, PD missile AIs and God only knows what other things modders have cooked up and will cook up!

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 11:20:28 AM »

Whoa, we're talking about two different things here.

In the .WPN ... there's a Type definition (WeaponType on the API end).  It's "what Slot does this Weapon take".  I was using this as a filter in some code and found this strange exception.

I don't want to change BOMB to any other variant of MISSILE on the .PROJ end.  That would mean PD wouldn't affect it, among other problems.

Hope that makes things clear.

In Rebal, this issue had already been fixed, so I didn't see it until I ran the AI Overhaul w/ Vanilla to address the behavioral issues seen there.
Xeno's Mod Pack

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 11:45:30 PM »

My bad Xeno, it is mad world out there and yesterday was extra crazy and I was not of the best of mind and totally misunderstood your original post here.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »

Totally fine, I have my bad days too  :P
Xeno's Mod Pack