Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I want blueprints to be a strategic resource.  (Read 705 times)

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
I want blueprints to be a strategic resource.
« on: September 24, 2019, 04:20:49 AM »

In case the wording of the title isn't clear enough, this suggestion is more like an opinion, and I know for a fact there are people out there who will disagree with this, but I don't care, I'm stating it anyway.

I know Starsector has been drifting a bit from its initial lore, perhaps intentionally even, but I kind of wish that blueprints (outside of the basics) were a legitimately limited resource, one that is not consumed on use, but plugged into production. Stealing an Onslaught blueprint from the hegemony doesn't just allow you to build Onslaughts at one of your planets, but now the Hegemony can build Onslaughts at one fewer planet than they could before.

This probably stems from a general desire for there to be more strategic importance to the topology of the sector, especially since the player can grow multiple colonies from naught to thriving metropolis within the confines of a single campaign, there really isn't much difference between doing that in system A, or doing it in system B, and the same goes for the core worlds. Location doesn't really matter beyond the individual (static) sizes of the pre-existing markets.

While it may sound like I am talking about two different things, they are in fact one and the same. That Onslaught blueprint is no longer just something you have forever, it is now a treasured resource that you have to protect, lest you lose it.

Anyway, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: I want blueprints to be a strategic resource.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 04:42:30 AM »

Perhaps that could work with many mods, but vanilla doesn't have that much fleet variety. And I'm all for factions being unique and having options. Imagine you steal an Atlas Mk II, now pirate fleets would be just a spam of Ventures and Falcons, making fights more boring and samey. IIRC only the Hegemony has multiple orbital works, so any other faction would just outright lose the ship. And what if you just go for a raiding crusade (which I usually do when I need a specific blueprint), you do that dozens of times and now the whole faction uses what... Mules lol?
Please don't take me too seriously.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 04:54:43 AM »

I think most of the civilian ships are blueprints built into most manufacturing equipment. I think the buffalo's brief states that it's beyond ubiquitous due to being available on everything, basically freeware.

Here "The greatest contributing factor to its ubiquity is the fact that the blueprint for this ship is usually hardcoded into every orbital shipyard's blueprint database. "

So they can always be built and could never be eliminated.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 05:24:57 AM »

You don't have to give each faction only one of each blueprint, in fact I'd recommend against it, and being able to cut away your enemies capacity to fight by removing their blueprints is sort of the point.

And that's assuming the pirates don't steal your treasured Doom blueprint first and start producing those.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 05:27:27 AM by Gwyvern »