Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Survey/Analyze missions should expand outwards  (Read 907 times)

CommandoDude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Survey/Analyze missions should expand outwards
« on: September 23, 2019, 09:19:24 AM »

I'm not sure if it's been suggested before, but I'd like to see a change to how Survey missions are generated.

Essentially, atm it does not make sense for major factions to be asking for surveys of deep space star systems. From a story perspective, these places are much too far away to establish an appropriate colony or resourcing operation, especially with much of the closer star systems near the core explored. From a gameplay perspective, players will not have the fleet strength and resources to mount such an expedition anyways, so these will always be ignored.

Instead, factions should only hand out such contracts within about say, half the distance of how big the Core worlds are. Surveys of further planets should not start happening until a few years into the game or half of the planets within that area have been surveyed. Analyses of derelicts could be further out since they're usually more lucrative.

It might also be helpful to increase the amount of time allotted for survey missions to allow players to wait and see if they can pick up multiple missions in the same region.

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Survey/Analyze missions should expand outwards
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 01:00:20 AM »

I think a lot of these types of missions should just not expire at all, but rather should be actively dismissed by the player if they are uninterested. It does not make sense that a faction would loose interest in a planet simply because no one wanted to do the mission.

If, in the future, we have entities that will compete for missions with the player then sure, a mission can disappear after it is completed for that entity (and depending on the mechanic the player may or may not know they are competing against someone else on that specific mission, so we may have to make educated guesses based on the age of the mission).

If we wanted to get even more dynamic there could be a whole hidden set of unadvertised missions that would be active for NPCs, but that the player would have to hunt down (and gaining faction rep would automatically make some of those "advertised" to the player without having to hunt them down). There could potentially be 100s of active missions available, with the player only able to see a few of them at any one time (unless they put in the effort to track down more). And the missions the player could not see would not be useless baggage, but could be the basis for finding intel for raiding convoys and such.

I know a lot of the groundwork seems to be in place for such a dynamic environment (what with com link hacking, existing faction convoys and such) but it definitely seems incomplete at the moment (insert "duh." here)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 03:11:18 AM »

I think a lot of these types of missions should just not expire at all, but rather should be actively dismissed by the player if they are uninterested. It does not make sense that a faction would loose interest in a planet simply because no one wanted to do the mission.
It represents someone else doing it first.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 07:09:17 AM »

Expanding outwards is quite an interesting idea. It's a bit of a puzzle though, that the faction wouldn't want the entire system surveyed. Actually, since survey data has a price on it, it is a bit of a puzzle why they feel a particular need to put a price on a specific planet in the first place. But I suppose it encourages us players to explore and survey.

CommandoDude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »

It represents someone else doing it first.

But in this case that's not what actually happens, since systems only ever become explored due to player activity.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 08:50:55 AM »

Do the same exploration missions by the same factions ever pop up again?

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:54:59 PM »

Do the same exploration missions by the same factions ever pop up again?
it has for me.