Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Selling Class IV and V survey data should cause that faction to try and colonise  (Read 4333 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Much like how pirates will nab any unknown blueprints on the black market, or how any faction will nab nanocores and install them, selling data of high value planets should cause the faction you sell it to to try and mount a colonisation expedition.

My take on it would be after a certain amount of time passes, a colony expedition is launched. Much like regular expeditions, if you cause it to fail at this point (either by having already colonised the planet or stopping the fleet) you take a rep hit.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile

Currently Nexerelin is looking into doing this.  Vanilla factions are completely static, so a lot more will need to change before they start expanding.  I don't think Alex wants a quick and dirty solution for that where they just plop down randomized colonies, which is fine for Nex.  I'm confident that vanilla faction expansion will be a thing at some point in the future, we just have to wait for it.

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I don't see why this won't become a thing.it makes way too much sense and it would add more realism to the game. this also might become a way to increase reputation with factions.

Survey Data V description"This data describes an exceptional world and will be of great value to any of the major factions in the Sector." pretty much answers the question as well. like sotanaht said we just have to wait. let's all pray to Ludd for patience.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You would need to have survey data be associated with a specific planet which I don't believe it is right now. That probably makes it difficult to mod, and it could also be a bit of a UI challenge to clearly communicate to the player. I generally like the idea though.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile

it could also be a bit of a UI challenge to clearly communicate to the player.
Nah, just stick the celestial body's name after the word "data".
"Class V Survey Data - Penelope's Star - Aeolus"

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

it could also be a bit of a UI challenge to clearly communicate to the player.
Nah, just stick the celestial body's name after the word "data".
"Class V Survey Data - Penelope's Star - Aeolus"
And now the player has to open the planet list or map and search if they don't remember what the planet had on it.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile

And now the player has to open the planet list or map and search if they don't remember what the planet had on it.
Compared to what?
Now, where you go "Oh, I discovered a Class IV/V planet, I sure hope I noted down where!"?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Compared to what?
Now, where you go "Oh, I discovered a Class IV/V planet, I sure hope I noted down where!"?
It might be more accurate to say it compounds on existing UI issues than that it creates new ones, but it's definitely pretty annoying to find planets and you would want to find a planet to see if it was something you wouldn't want the AI to colonize before selling. Right now the best way is to open the planet list and sort by class. Maybe it's something that doesn't annoy other people as much as it annoys me, but that would be a pain.

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

F1 already pops a tooltip on goods. Just have it pop a tooltip with the planets data on it.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

If selling actual planet data was a thing, it would most likely require a new or modified UI. Something like current planet browser, except there's a "surveyed planets" filter and a "sell data" button next to planet's name or its conditions. Then you just scroll the list.
This is assuming it ever becomes relevant what is the exact source of that data, and Alex isn't interested in making the factions dynamic...

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You would need to have survey data be associated with a specific planet which I don't believe it is right now. That probably makes it difficult to mod, and it could also be a bit of a UI challenge to clearly communicate to the player. I generally like the idea though.

The only way I can think of doing this is when selling survey data, you get a LIST of all known planets and you select which ones you give info off. (Basically, if you sell 2 class V survey data, a list of class V planets you know will open and you need to select 2, which get added to the factions known worlds lsit).

In the same manner, every faction would need to have a list of known planets/systems, which would be used to pick a colonizing target.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile

-
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile

the only way I can think of doing this is when selling survey data,
Another way is to have the class IV and V surveys be unique items that don't stack. It's similar to how a ship blueprint is unique for a ship, except the survey data would have the planet info in its name.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Another way is to have the class IV and V surveys be unique items that don't stack. It's similar to how a ship blueprint is unique for a ship, except the survey data would have the planet info in its name.
This is what was suggested before as well. The main problem is that your decision to sell data is based on a lot of factors about that planet and system that you can't get from the name, so you would have to go find the planet and system in the intel browser or map to know if you want to sell the data (which is very cumbersome). You really want to know the resources on the planet, the habitability, the other planets in the system (and their information), and the distance from the core of the system (and also maybe warning beacons/pulars/black holes and stuff like that). That's too much info to squeeze into the existing market/cargo UI, so you would need new UI.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This is what was suggested before as well. The main problem is that your decision to sell data is based on a lot of factors about that planet and system that you can't get from the name, so you would have to go find the planet and system in the intel browser or map to know if you want to sell the data (which is very cumbersome). You really want to know the resources on the planet, the habitability, the other planets in the system (and their information), and the distance from the core of the system (and also maybe warning beacons/pulars/black holes and stuff like that). That's too much info to squeeze into the existing market/cargo UI, so you would need new UI.
Maybe have the survey data take you to the relevant screen?
Pages: [1] 2