Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starsector with mods randomly locks up and freezes on Linux  (Read 2021 times)

scrye

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starsector with mods randomly locks up and freezes on Linux
« on: September 21, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »

I have been playing Starsector for a while on a Linux box running Arch, which has run without problems on my machine with no mods, and I recently decided to give some of the well-established mods a try.  So far, it's been fun, but I've run into a problem.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is causing the problem, but apparently one of my mods (or some interaction between them) is very sporadically causing the game to freeze somehow.  In fact, on my system at least, the mouse and keyboard become completely unresponsive, and so far as I've figured out the only way to resolve the situation is to hard reboot the machine.

The freezes seem to happen most often when menus are open, funnily enough (e.g. inventory or hull salvage menu screens so far), and I think during ship selection for combat as well.  Ingame music continues to play with no notable disruption.  I am not sure if there is a consistent amount of time that the game is open before a lockup occurs, it seems to be somewhat variable and there is no warning before it happens.  It can take some time though (even a few hours) before it happens.

I have given my Starsector 4GB of RAM in Java, and also tried it with more RAM.  I am also running on a relatively weak graphics card, so I have disabled some of the heavier GraphicsLib functionality.  I have good FPS with no real stuttering, I would have thought I had it running perfectly if not for these random and abrupt lockups.  As far as I know I am not running any mods that are incompatible with the current version of the game (0.9.1a RC8).

Is there a logfile somewhere I can check to figure out what is happening at the time of the freeze?  My modlist is;

{"enabledMods": [
  "$$$_lightshow",
  "$$$_trailermoments",
  "anotherportraitpack",
  "raccoonarms",
  "blackrock_driveyards",
  "CombatAnalytics",
  "chatter",
  "lw_radar",
  "diableavionics",
  "DisassembleReassemble",
  "fixallemptyplanets",
  "sun_fuel_siphoning",
  "gs",
  "sun_halved_fuel_efficiency_and_cost",
  "HA",
  "Imperium",
  "lw_lazylib",
  "leadingPip",
  "luddenhance",
  "MagicLib",
  "nexerelin",
  "wyv_planetaryShieldAccessControl",
  "portrait",
  "$$rebalanced_pilums",
  "sun_ruthless_sector",
  "SCY",
  "shadow_ships",
  "swp",
  "speedUp",
  "sun_starship_legends",
  "StopGapMeasures",
  "sd_sundiving_1.1",
  "Sylphon_RnD",
  "tahlan",
  "TS_Coalition",
  "underworld",
  "US",
  "URW",
  "vayrasector",
  "vayrashippack",
  "lw_version_checker",
  "toggleWeapons",
  "audio_plus",
  "shaderLib"
]}

Thanks for any help in tracking this issue down.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:07:10 PM by scrye »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector with mods randomly locks up and freezes on Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »

What specific video card do you have?

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 12:52:47 PM »

That's pretty much the behavior windows would show if your page file was reaching its limit, your CPU was being maximized by some rando process, your GFX throwing a tantrum due to temps while emergency shutdown wasn't addressing it or simply your disk having existential issues that surface under heavy loads, like having a peaking page file. The page file issue usually gets compounded by an inter dynamic relationship between virtual memory, Intel integrated graphics and JVM memory management.     
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 05:26:17 PM »

For the log, check starsector.log in the root directory of wherever you installed Starsector.

nanohard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 08:56:26 PM »

For anyone wondering, it's a RAM issue. Allocating RAM to Java in this context is dedicated, in the sense that Java will not use more than what you tell it to allocate. That mod list is huge for 4GB RAM. It might even struggle w/ 8 GB after a few hours, as is such in my case.