Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: That's an industry?! And other weird colony limitations.  (Read 8202 times)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: That's an industry?! And other weird colony limitations.
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 07:05:33 AM »

Why can't I just trade like every other space game that doesn't require a 30% tax?
Who knows?
Lots of the trade and industry seems to be quite abstract and there's no REAL game there.
There's no real game in trade like every other space game. Buy low, sell high. Memorise the best runs. Give an example of an interesting trade in a space game. What's the point? It's not even a game mechanic unique to space games. What's wrong with the current trade mechanics? What's wrong with smuggling? There's always more than enough trade missions anyways for legitimate trading and they are far more interesting than simple trade game mechanics.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 08:08:27 AM »

While trade has some issues, I think its actually pretty well done, especially if you think of the fact that its more of an "after thought" by Alex since his main focus is combat.

It has risks (smuggling, pirates, etc) while being complicated enough that it feels like a living breathing world but not too complicated that it becomes trading simulator (stocks, exchanges, diplomatic issues, land value, indepth taxing, to name a few that would make it more complex but not necessarily more fun) instead of a combat game.

Simple but effective.

Ebola

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 01:58:48 PM »

I'll probably end up having to make a mod for this, but I had to ask...  Why is "Commerce" and "Military Base" considered "Industry"?

Do what I did and edits industries.csv. You turn commerce into a structure, because it's *** that you cannot trade on your own planet without gimping yourself, while the AI doesn't have that limitation.

I have no idea what Alex was thinking, that was just STUPID.
I actually have to ask: How?
I tried but I just get various errors. The line should be this:
Code
commerce,Commerce,90,90,,3,,,"industry, urban",,graphics/icons/industry/commerce.png,com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.econ.impl.TradeCenter,"Regulations, grants, and infrastructure to encourage thriving independent trade.",1950
Now I tried removing the "industry" right at the beginning, I changed it into "structure", I changed the order, removed the "urban" or not, it doesn't work.

What I could actually accept as an industry with commerce would be a boost to accessibility instead of stability, stronger than the waystation of course.
Pages: 1 2 [3]