Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Best way to get in good with Pirates?  (Read 816 times)

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Best way to get in good with Pirates?
« on: September 20, 2019, 08:32:25 AM »

Hi all, I am starting a a colony system with 4 planets, and I am starting to see pirate raids. I am also trying to get in good with the pirates so they are more inclined to leave me alone. Currently I am doing this via basic trading, but that basically only cancels out for the rep hits I get from killing raids. Is there a faster way to gain rep with them? I currently have to trade with them transponder off, since we are on pretty unfriendly terms, and that does not seem to get the full effect of the trade rep, even when using the open market.

so the question is how to I make them like me faster? I do not want to give them a bunch of plans or other advantageous gear, 'cause I still want to keep them from murdering other factions I want to keep around, so I want whatever I do to be as low impact as possible. Anyone have experience with this?

(100% vanilla game)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to get in good with Pirates?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 09:20:32 AM »

The process is slow but rewarding. Best done long before you make a colony as it's tons a travel time.

Do their quests. Exploration stuff gives 5 rep, trade missions are 1 rep. Trade missions will sometimes have additional requirements like "Deliver the items transponder off as the port authorities aren't allowed to know." Trade missions can be a pain in the butt.

At -49 rep they are just hostile, meaning they don't like you but leave you alone. It gets easier at that point.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 09:33:32 AM »

In my experience you want something fast like the Hound (ideally it should be your only type of ship), as battles only lose you rep if you destroy their stuff, so just running away can save you a bit of work.

Vivratelnica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 07:00:05 AM »

Imo the absolute quickest way to gain reputation(Only work with Nexerelin Mod) is to either repatriate a bunch of prisoners OR, conquer other planets and give the pirates those conquered planets. The latter is fairly impractical however, and honestly pirates usually aren't enough of a threat to warrant this kind of action. I had pirates near 100% approval rating and the game became sort've boring. It'd be hilarious if pirates conquered planets of their own so that they were more of a threat.