Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combining multiple debris fields into one.  (Read 948 times)

dandystar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Combining multiple debris fields into one.
« on: September 18, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »

Just fended off 5 pirate amardas, 3 of the debris fields ended up overlapping each other, with no way to access the ones beneath due to lack of control over scavenge operations.

Until them drifted away from each other, that is.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:44:29 PM by dandystar »

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Combining multiple debris fields into one.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:48:38 PM »

yep
same situation

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 08:57:02 AM »

Merging debris fields would be nice.
An alternative would be to entirely remove a debris field in one salvage operation - less clicks, tidier screen.

Darkfirephoenix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 09:01:52 AM »

A way for the debris fields to combine if the overlap and/or a counter/percentage for how much is still left in a given debris field and once that reaches 0 the field vanishes

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 11:19:51 AM »

+1 on the merge debris fields. It could work where each debris entity simple consolidates all the overlapping risk/reward metrics, and even if you have partially mined out a field adding to it with newly destroyed fleets simply updates those metrics by adding them to the existing leftover metrics.

As far as the interface mechanics goes, we should get a slider that shows how much risk we are willing to take, with more risk pulling more "richness" out of the field, at the expense of risking more of your tools/crew. As the slider goes up your % recovery goes up, but so too does the crew and tools you have to commit to the action, all of which are at risk for loss. There should also be some kind of indicator for the size of the expected recovery, like maybe a "you expect to recover 100 units of materials (all kinds)" so you can know if a particular field is even worth your time. Even better, put the field "size" in units on the map view (larger fields with more recoverables return a larger radar signature).

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 02:31:30 PM »

+2 for merging and/or disappearing fields after X many salvage ops. This could also be good for performance as well?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »

I would be happy if the fields disappear after being salvaged once, especially in systems I plan to colonize.  Debris fields are a cause of slowdown if I have too many.  In one game, I rejected a possible colony system due to three permanent stable debris fields.  More from the inevitable expedition pile-up and play can slow to a crawl whenever I need to visit my colony.