Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: effect of alpha core on tech-mining?  (Read 7654 times)

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: effect of alpha core on tech-mining?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 10:46:53 PM »

My first techmining on scarce ruin produced synchroton core plus some weapons, supplies/fuel and LPC.
You can sell it after getting most of your cash bask so i would say it was worth.
Keep it like few months then replace it by something else or evacuate whole colony.
You basically won the lottery there.  I thought it might be possible, but I've never seen it happen myself.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 01:33:43 AM »

My first techmining on scarce ruin produced synchroton core plus some weapons, supplies/fuel and LPC.
You can sell it after getting most of your cash bask so i would say it was worth.
Keep it like few months then replace it by something else or evacuate whole colony.
You basically won the lottery there.  I thought it might be possible, but I've never seen it happen myself.
It happened on my very first Tech mine a couple of months in a row, and never since.
Makes me wonder if the outcome degradation is somehow not resetting.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 08:00:44 AM »

With the time and costs to make Tech Mining operational, plus raiding being a reliable source of blueprints, I do not bother with it unless I want to play slot machine for a synchrotron or pristine nanoforge.

With aggressive pirates (and other expeditions), I do not have time to tie up construction queues with an expensive slot machine.

Sinosauropteryx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 08:33:03 AM »

Tech-mining works fine and the loot is pretty much what I'd expect for the cost. I'll even colonize planets just to tech-mine 'em out. It's something to do super-lategame when money is virtually infinite. I look at it like hiring an agent to do extra exploration for me: of course it's not as effective as if I went exploring myself. But it's extra value on top of whatever I'm doing, at a game stage where money no longer has value, and accrues in the background with minimal supervision. If the planet gets raided, no big deal, the tech-mine is finite anyway so delays aren't lost equity. And when it's emptied, if I'm playing Nex, I can give the planet to my faction.

Mar Sara

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 10:08:29 AM »

@OP I'm on my way home from work, I'll dig into the code and find exactly what if any effect an AI core has on this industry  in an hour or so.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »

@OP I'm on my way home from work, I'll dig into the code and find exactly what if any effect an AI core has on this industry  in an hour or so.
Double-check it if you like, but I already answered that back in the second post.  (Well, technically, the question I answered was "What does an Alpha core do over a Beta core?" - they do both still provide that industry maintenance cost reduction, as well as making the pathers slightly more annoyed at you.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Mar Sara

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 12:22:40 PM »

Honestly, I thought your reply was a joke XD I mean, yes, it's true, but also funny. I was more checking if that +1 production did anything at all. It looks to me like the salvage table is rolled up and copied to the faction storage without involving an admin or AI core at all. I'm not sure if other bonuses to the special salvage may apply somewhere, but from what I see I would suspect not.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »

Honestly, I thought your reply was a joke XD I mean, yes, it's true, but also funny.
Hah, yeah, that's fair.  Let me go edit that to make it clear that it's actually a serious response.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 06:40:18 PM »

It's worth noting that the first two cycles of tech-mining loot have very different chances of loot, followed by the more intuitive degradation over time.

Those first two cycles are still low chances of getting loot in absolute terms but the loot is potentially exceptional. It is possible to occasionally score 90% of the blueprints & special items you'll want for an entire run off of those first two loot cycles. It is also possible to tap multiple vast ruins and end up with not much.

ZeCaptain

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »

Tech mining is absolutely worth it assuming you are using a hired admin or alpha core for your producing colonies. Tech mining only requires 1k crew, the initial cost of the tech-mining industry, a management slot, and have at least 1 stability or more. This means you can personally manage more planets and eat the mismanagement stability penalty as long as your tech-mining colonies are above 1 stability, like 6 or 7 planets easily if you put com relays in systems and the +2 stability skill.

Also it's an absolutely easy source of resources, a tech mining colony can produce 100 supplies and fuel each month, it pays for itself after the first or second month assuming you have a long term colony to store your goods at.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 07:41:28 PM by ZeCaptain »
Pages: 1 [2]