Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: effect of alpha core on tech-mining?  (Read 7653 times)

jujuteux

• Ensign
    • View Profile
effect of alpha core on tech-mining?
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:56:08 PM »

does anyone knows the effects of an alpha core whe ninstalled on a thech mining operation?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: effect of alpha core on tech-mining?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »

It makes the pathers just a little bit angrier at you.

Edit: To be clear, this is a 100% serious response.  Compared to installing a Beta core for the maintenance cost reduction*, this is the only thing an alpha core gives you.

* Footnote: Why you'd install even a beta core in tech mining I really don't know, it's not like it costs that much to maintain.
** Footnote 2: Installing a gamma core in tech mining offers no benefit whatsoever.  It still makes the pathers angry at you, though not by as much as a beta or alpha core would.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:26:45 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

BuckStrider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »

Does Tech-Mining even work? I've been mining on a world with vast ruins for a few years now and have gotten nothing.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »

Does Tech-Mining even work? I've been mining on a world with vast ruins for a few years now and have gotten nothing.

It does work, it just does not give the stuff to the colony but to your storage, so if a Paragon blueprint apers misteriusly in your storage you know it was the tech mining

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »

Tech mining results appear to get sent to one specific world, rather than stockpiling on the world that mined them.  In that case, it's probably getting dumped onto the same world you store everything else, so you can't tell what's coming in.  I think most of what tech mining produces is common resources and ship weapons, so it's pretty much just all trash with anything unique being extremely rare.

Demonocolips

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 04:59:47 PM »

you get a monthly report whenever something is found and sent to your stockpile world similiar to when you build something.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 05:09:07 PM »

It should also be noted that the effectiveness of tech mines goes down over time. When you start getting the message about the ruins having been combed multiple times is the time to either pack up shop and abandon or replace the tech mine.

Tech mines will give you regular supplies, fuel, machinery, ship weapons, LPCs, and the occasional BP per month to your designated storage planet, which is shown and selected in the upper left corner of your colony overview screen I believe.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 06:05:26 PM »

Personally I have never found the purpose of tech mining.

In the time that the RNGJesus rolls the dice and gives you another pair of trashy blueprints and weapons, you could be exploring a blackhole system, find a research station, and get like 10 + BP's or if your lucky, a synchotron / pristine forge / alpha AI core(s).

Its a waste of time and effort when you could be making a profitable colony, at least from what ive seen.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 11:24:44 PM »

It is an effective way to 'produce' supplies and fuel without needing heavy industry or a fuel plant. So it's ok as a way of producing these commodities at home in small quantities.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 07:22:39 AM »

Waystations also cause your colony to stockpile supplies and fuel, plus they don't cost an industry and give an accessibility bonus. The supplies and fuel are not free but my guess is whatever industry you put in place of tech mining in addition to the accessibility bonus will make a lot more money that the value of the supplies and fuel from tech mining. I don't really see how tech mines compete with other industries right now. Even when I've built them on vast ruins, the loot has been unimpressive, but maybe I've just gotten unlucky.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 08:14:40 AM »

Waystations also cause your colony to stockpile supplies and fuel, plus they don't cost an industry and give an accessibility bonus. The supplies and fuel are not free but my guess is whatever industry you put in place of tech mining in addition to the accessibility bonus will make a lot more money that the value of the supplies and fuel from tech mining. I don't really see how tech mines compete with other industries right now. Even when I've built them on vast ruins, the loot has been unimpressive, but maybe I've just gotten unlucky.

Tech Mining is indeed most often delusional, but Waystation is just too good so far, nice bonus, stockpiles of stuff, low price, quick to build. It's a no-brainer choice.

Czyrek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 09:05:37 AM »

Generally for everything but "vast ruins" its only good for the first month or two, then its just random small amounts of fuel, supplies etc. Vast ruins can usually sneak in a few extra blue prints over the next few months but its usually nothing to write about. I find I usually get half or more of what I'd get out of a planet with ruins just from exploring them after surveying. So in general you'd be better off just exploring more and finding more ruins to explore (as well as research/mining/habitat stations) than setting up colonies deliberately to take advantage of ruins. (though it doesn't hurt to strip some off a planet you were colonizing for other reasons for a few months).

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »

I'll admit, I've hacked my game files so that tech-mining no longer counts as an industry, and never looked back.  I still don't make colonies just to put down tech mines, but it makes ruins on planets I actually colonize into a nice little bonus rather than a "shrug, it's got ruins, so what."
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 10:15:31 AM »

If only Vast Ruins and Tech Mining gave Tech Mining exclusive only items (like ""Special"" ships / BP's) so its worth the investment. A exclusive, one time built Paragon for the son of a Tri Tech top dog with 5 d-mods due to being hidden in a earths core that has 20% effeciency, flux stats, capacitors, and extra OP would definitely make Vast Ruin techmining worth it.

But not in its current state.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 06:51:47 PM »

My first techmining on scarce ruin produced synchroton core plus some weapons, supplies/fuel and LPC.
You can sell it after getting most of your cash bask so i would say it was worth.
Keep it like few months then replace it by something else or evacuate whole colony.
Pages: [1] 2